No really... I AM big boned..?

Options

Replies

• willowdancer
    Options
    I can't help but think of Cartman from South Park every time I hear someone say this.

Like other posters have already said, it is more important that you are healthy and feel good in your body than it is that you fit into whatever pant size.

And as far as wrist measurements go in determining whether or not someone is big boned; I have been making jewelry professionally for five years and people's wrists come in all shapes and sizes, and not all of them match their body type. I have modified bracelets to be 6" long for women who are larger than me and I wear a 7.5" I have made 7.5" long bracelets for women who are very petite both in height and frame. So I guess my point is that I wouldn't worry so much about being big boned; with a healthy, balanced diet and a good bit of exercise you will see results and find a healthier, happier you. Big bones and all :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.

That's just silly! :laugh:

People do NOT have the same size bones.
  • brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm: 5'9", 190 lbs, true size 14/16, wrist is 6.5

With that said, a year ago I was a size 10, so YES it is possible. Obviously every person carries weight differently but I'm not sold on the "I'm just big-boned" excuse for being overweight. Yeah, I know everyone has different size bones but, come on! Do your bones make you overweight....um, NO.

Either way, good luck with your progress. Stick to your goals and stay motivated. Don't get caught up in the silly stuff or anything that can give you an excuse to sway from your goals.
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    Don't get a complex. Just workout, eat right, and you'll see results. I always called myself big-boned or whatever. That is not the case. It's called being fat. It's when you take in more calories and fat then your body needs so it stores them in various places. No excuses. Large bones or not, healthy is healthy.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is that there's no difference in body frame between say your typical basketball player and an NFL linebacker, none, none whatsoever..

So it would seem... because of course that's logical. :noway: Yes folks, it is an over-used rationale, abused by many who don't actually fit into that category, but for some of us, like your linebacker, and your average dramatic soprano (that's me!) a larger frame/big bones (call it what you like) is a fact of life. We also tend to have a body type that carries a lot of muscle/builds muscle relatively easily, which tends to lead to a higher scale number, but also greater than average strength and endurance, when we are physically fit. A pro linebacker and a pro basketball player might very well have the same ratios of lean body mass/body fat percentage, but the base it's built on, and the way it's put together, are definitely going to be very different.
  • jbriscoe9480
    jbriscoe9480 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I hear this same thing. All bones are the same size.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    If people have EXACTLY THE SAME skeletons then how is it possible to identify male from female when fossils are discovered from ancient cultures?

Why are some women to 'narrow' for childbirth if the skeletons are EXACTLY the same? is the fat making their hips closer together?

If all skeletons are the same please explain Osteoporosis and the other skeletal disorders. By this thinking then it would be impossible to have any differences in structure at all.

Here's one from the American Journal of clinical nutrition : http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/6/1012.long which discusses frame sizes.

It is utterly ridiculous to say that everyone has the same size of skeleton.

I agree. How can one person be 6' and another 5'2 if the skeltons were the same. We would all be the same height and a "perfect cloned" pattern of people if this were true. You can bet someone who is 5'2 has a shorter arm and leg length than someone 6' lol thats too funny!!
  • Ms_Steel
    Options

i like bones.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You may or may not be big-boned, really you won't know for sure until you are in the healthy weight range for your height. If you've overweight, than can actually effect the measurement of your wrist.

I'm 5'3.5", 127lbs and my wrist measurement is 6" - that makes me medium framed.

However when I was overweight at 165lbs, my wrist measurement was 6.5" - large framed.

This is true. I am large framed, as my measurements are still above the threshhold, but I've lost about an inch of my wrist! It's pretty much just bone and skin now, so it can't get much smaller.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is that there's no difference in body frame between say your typical basketball player and an NFL linebacker, none, none whatsoever..

Who was saying that?
  • omma_to_3
    Options

I think people are confusing this. I've seen a study (sorry, long ago so no link) that said all skeletons weigh similarly, for people of the same height. That doesn't mean they're not wider/broader/etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    As I lost weight the circumference of my wrist got smaller too, I had to tighten my watch from where it was for years even. I'm afraid you were measuring more than bone.

That's interesting. My wrist size is the only thing that hasn't changed. I've had a seven inch wrist since I was in 6th grade and weighing 109 for my same 5'4" height. Maybe my DNA doesn't direct fat to be collected on my wrist?

(Also: I always wore a larger pants size than anyone else, even people the same height that weighed more than me. My legs are longer than most women at my height and my hips are wider.)

While it isn't an excuse to be fat, bone structure DOES vary among individuals.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    This. There are variations in height, and slight variations in frame size, but it isn't really enough to matter as far as weight is concerned. That's why healthy weight is given as a range, to account for individual differences in frame size. Someone with a larger frame size might weigh 20 pounds more than someone with a small frame, not 50 pounds more. "Big boned" is just an excuse.

It has less effect on weight, but more effect on size of clothing. "wide" hips will still be wide even when you're fit, if it were your pelvic bones making them wide.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Who was saying that?

You are not reading all the posts in this thread. Somehow you have missed the (several) comments that are trying to claim this.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    As I lost weight the circumference of my wrist got smaller too, I had to tighten my watch from where it was for years even. I'm afraid you were measuring more than bone.

That's interesting. My wrist size is the only thing that hasn't changed. I've had a seven inch wrist since I was in 6th grade and weighing 109 for my same 5'4" height. Maybe my DNA doesn't direct fat to be collected on my wrist?

(Also: I always wore a larger pants size than anyone else, even people the same height that weighed more than me. My legs are longer than most women at my height and my hips are wider.)

While it isn't an excuse to be fat, bone structure DOES vary among individuals.

Yes, fat distribution varies by person. You must not store much on your wrists!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Who was saying that?

You are not reading all the posts in this thread. Somehow you have missed the (several) comments that are trying to claim this.

Quite. It's the logical extension of what many people here are asserting as fact.
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Why worry about a particular size ?

If you think you need to lose weight, then lose it ......

Best of luck to you :drinker:

Agreed!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options

i like bones.

I like them too
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am big boned. Given the right stimulation... ;D
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    According to the wrist measurement guidelines, I am borderline "big boned" (just under 6.5 inches; anything over 6.5 is considered a large frame). I wear a size 4 and I've never been larger than a size 6.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!