No really... I AM big boned..?

Options

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is that there's no difference in body frame between say your typical basketball player and an NFL linebacker, none, none whatsoever..

Who was saying that?

You are not reading all the posts in this thread. Somehow you have missed the (several) comments that are trying to claim this.

Quite. It's the logical extension of what many people here are asserting as fact.

But no one is saying 'exactly'
    ( except maybe one person after this post)
  • ebony__
    Options
    I am big boned. Given the right stimulation... ;D

Haha
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is that there's no difference in body frame between say your typical basketball player and an NFL linebacker, none, none whatsoever..

Who was saying that?

You are not reading all the posts in this thread. Somehow you have missed the (several) comments that are trying to claim this.

Nobody has said that. FOR PEOPLE OF THE SAME HEIGHT, skeletons are pretty much the same. Small variations exist, but not enough to make dramatic differences in size. 99% of size differences are due to muscle and fat mass. That's what people have said. Other people have tried to misinterpret that into insisting that these people are saying that every skeleton is exactly the same, which nobody in this thread has even come close to saying.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    check out mybodygallery.com
    you can compare yourself to other, real people with your height/weight
  • ebony__
    Options

Who was saying that?

Nobody has said that. FOR PEOPLE OF THE SAME HEIGHT, skeletons are pretty much the same. Small variations exist, but not enough to make dramatic differences in size. 99% of size differences are due to muscle and fat mass. That's what people have said. Other people have tried to misinterpret that into insisting that these people are saying that every skeleton is exactly the same, which nobody in this thread has even come close to saying.
  • CarrieQuiteContrary
    Options
    Come on you naysayers. I am short and have short stubby fingers and feel not as dainty as I would had I had a smaller frame. I'm pretty sure I have a medium to large frame. I am not sure on my current weight, I'm guessing early to mid 120s and I'm not quite 5'2". I will never be as dainty as I'd like. So I totally believe in 'big bonededness'. I believe my wrist is about 6" as well. Gah.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You could very well be, just keep losing weight, and see what happens with pants size. :)

As for those who say there's no such thing as big boned, that's crap. That means you can't say people are petite either.

Anyway, I'm "big boned" 5'1.5" with a wrist measurement of 6.75" I have wide feet, broad shoulders and big hands! (I blame my dad LOL) I think its a good thing though, seeing as I carry my weight better than others my height and weight.

Embrace it if you are, but don't use is as an excuse.
  • traceyfordy
    traceyfordy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This pic is great!!
  • aph1421
    Options
    Big bones are actually a real thing - I'm 5'2 and wear a size 4 or 6, but my frame is much larger than my peers who have similar heights and sizes. Look at ankle bones, wrist bones, elbows, general structure. Of course there are big bones and smaller bones, just like there are taller people and shorter people. However, the weight ranges that are generally standard work for big boned people too. As in, if you're big-boned, it's more likely you'll be at the top of your range and look pretty good, whereas if you're small-boned and at the top of your range, you'll look like you have some extra heft on you. Just because you're big boned doesn't mean you can't get down to a traditionally healthy weight and BMI. If you're big-boned and lean, you can be a size 10 for sure.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Looking for some motivation!

Anyone else out there have a large frame and able to share their story? I'm 5'8 and 220... generally wear a size 16. I was at a Doctor's office the other day and he told me I was NOT big boned, and that he's seen much bigger - he's kinda given me a complex now! So I went and looked online to see how I can judge this myself and the circumference of my wrist is 7"....and according to everything I read that's big boned! I am very broad and carry weight all over, anyways I'm trying to lose weight, and I really wish I can get down to a size 10, is this even possible? I don't even remember a time that I wore something outside of a size 14. About 3 years ago I dropped down to 180, and I was wearing a size 14 - and this was a healthy look for me.

Am I deluding myself into thinking my frame will prevent me from going down to a size 10?

If anyone has got some stories, please share! Thanks!

5'10, big boned, have been a size 10 (US, not UK) before, so it's totally possible!
  • esacre
    Options
    I need this pic for motivation.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 153lbs, my wrist circumference is 6.25", and I wear a size 10. I don't know if that helps you or not, but there it is.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.
    I agree!!! Big boned is nothing but bull**** that big people use as an excuse to be big. I know, used that same excuse myself for years!

I'm big boned, and I am only 5 lbs overweight. I'm not making excuses, or blaming the 5 extra lbs on my skeleton, but my skeleton is naturally larger than most- every x-ray I've ever had confirms it. Wanna call it bull**** again?
  • RosaC773
    Options
    Don't worry about your frame, just worry about your lifestyle. Eat right and workout. If you are happy with your weight and you feel great, don't worry about it.

Just don't quit working out or eating healthy because you may gain weight.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My collar bone is 3/4 inch thick - my wife's is 3/8 inch - no such thing as big-boned, huh?

absolute piffle

I tend to ignore "experts" - they haven't a clue when faced with empirical evidence that contradicts their pet theories.

- doesn't mean I don't 'need' to lose weight, though. <pout>
  • rachellosesitall85
    Options
    I think people can be big boned, especially since we are all different cultures, shapes, sizes. My mother has a small frame when measuring her wrists though she is very shapely. My wrists have always been larger even when I pinch the skin around them. When I was a kid/preteen I was 5'7" and very lanky and boney looking at 145. I also have long limbs but I suppose if I lost a lot of weight, I'd have a medium frame. As of now, I'm 234 and most of my fat is in my upper body and my long arms hang down to about a foot above my knees. Most people say I wear my weight well and only assume I'm around 200lbs. Sometimes bones do come into play.
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Big boned or not, I really don't think it matters! According to my wrist measurement (6 inches) and height (5'4") I am at the low end of "medium-boned". However, my wrists and ankles have always been quite thin. At my thinnest when I first met my ex-husband, I weighed 125 and did not look healthy. I have always had a larger head, ribs, and hips, and I could never get below a size 10. At a size 10, my ribs would stick out (gross!), my collar bone was normally visible, and you could also see my hip bones. I have smaller legs and arms, but a wider torso skeleton!

I think we need to focus on eating, exercising, and being healthy. I have a number in mind that I want to weigh, but I also realize that my goal weight may change if I feel I look and feel good at a higher weight still in my healthy range.
  • ebony__
    Options
    Regardless of size and shape I don't think anyones bones could be heavy enough to account for their bmi being in the obese range,, IMO
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This site does work to lose weight so it doesn't matter about bone size. I was 196 and now 158 and I went from a size 14 to a size 8 just from doing my calorie intake and keeping under. If you want this site to work for you follow the regime and be persistent.

:smile:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    My collar bone is 3/4 inch thick - my wife's is 3/8 inch - no such thing as big-boned, huh?

absolute piffle

I tend to ignore "experts" - they haven't a clue when faced with empirical evidence that contradicts their pet theories.

- doesn't mean I don't 'need' to lose weight, though. <pout>

Male to female comparison = apples to oranges
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!