No really... I AM big boned..?

Options

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I would love to see a girl with a 12 - 10% body fat claim she is big boned.

Only fat people make this claim.

Uh no. Have you never seen a woman with relatively low body fat with broad substantial shoulders? They might care to claim they are big boned but their frame is a different size and shape than another woman with narrower shoulders and this does have an impact on the size and shape you'll end up even if you do lose a lot of weight. Some people will never be a size 0 no matter how low their bodyfat percentage is, simply because their ribcage and hips are more broad, with or without fat coming into it. This is because of how their body is structured. Why is this such a hard thing to understand?

Fine lets take you for example, you are not big boned from what I can see in your photo, but you are fat, from what I can see in your photo.

Do you consider yourself big boned, because from a bystanders view you are just over weight.

WOW! There is blunt and then there is just being an *kitten*! Get your facts straight before you try to push your holier than thou BS! I read your profile - "Mr I-will-be-the-best" - you state yourself that you don't have a problem with your weight - back off and stop judging!
  • Susie_Q12
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.

^^ true, I work in pathology and I've never seen a "big boned" skeleton!
  • Rangarth
    Options
    Q: Can someone really be “big-boned”?
    A: Yes—but most people aren’t. People like to say, “I’m not overweight; I’m just big-boned!” to justify a higher number on the scale, but in reality, less than 20 percent of women actually have larger-than-average body frames. (They’re typically tall and have greater bone density and more muscle than most women—think Venus Williams.) About the same percentage of women have naturally tiny builds, and the rest of us fall somewhere in between. Besides, frame size usually accounts for only moderate differences in weight—10 pounds at most. My advice? Forget about your frame if you really want to know whether your weight is healthy. While still an imperfect measure, body mass index can be a good way for the average woman to get a read on her weight (calculate yours at glamour.com/health). And measure your waist, too. A midsection larger than 35 inches around means you’re carrying too much abdominal fat and are at greater risk for diabetes, heart disease and stroke.

Read More http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2007/09/your-doctor-big-boned#ixzz26H1rsIV3
  • helencounts
    helencounts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is from Livestrong.com

Wrist Measurement
    Step 1
    Approximate your frame size by wrapping your fingers around your wrist. If your thumb and index finger overlap, you likely have a small frame. If the two meet, your frame size is probably medium and you are large boned if they do not meet.

Step 2
    Wrap the tape measure around your wrist to determine your body frame, according to Medline Plus. Note the measurement.

Step 3
    Compare your measurements to frame size guidelines. For men, a wrist size of 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 inches indicates a small frame, while a measurement over 7 1/2 inches is typically of a larger bone structure.

If you are female, your frame size will depend upon both your wrist measurement and your height. For women under 5 feet 2 inches, a measurement under 5 1/2 inches is a small frame, while a wrist over 5 3/4 inches shows that you have a larger bone structure. Women 5 feet 5 inches to 5 feet 7 inches are small framed if the measurement is less than 6 inches and have a larger frame if it is more than 6 1/4 inches. Females 5 feet 7 inches and taller are small boned if the wrist measures less than 6 1/4 inches and large framed if the wrist is more than 6 3/4 inches in circumference.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/219938-how-to-know-your-body-frame/#ixzz26H1uSFmi
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I also have a large frame. My wrist has no fat on it, and it measures 7 1/2 inches. I am 5' 61/2". I quit telling people how much I weigh a long time ago, because they were always amazed that I weighed as much as I did at the size I was. I am in a 14-16 now and will probably end up a 6-8 when I get to my goal weight of 160. I know that when I weigh 175 I am an 8-10. I see people on here who weigh much less than that and even work out to build muscles who wear those sizes. Something has to account for the difference. So, yes you can get to the size you want to be big bones and all. Just make sure it is a healthy weight for you.
  • melb2003
    Options

Uh no. Have you never seen a woman with relatively low body fat with broad substantial shoulders? They might care to claim they are big boned but their frame is a different size and shape than another woman with narrower shoulders and this does have an impact on the size and shape you'll end up even if you do lose a lot of weight. Some people will never be a size 0 no matter how low their bodyfat percentage is, simply because their ribcage and hips are more broad, with or without fat coming into it. This is because of how their body is structured. Why is this such a hard thing to understand?

Fine lets take you for example, you are not big boned from what I can see in your photo, but you are fat, from what I can see in your photo.

Do you consider yourself big boned, because from a bystanders view you are just over weight.

Honestly, this has to be one of the most rude comments I have ever seen. So unnecessary. She made her point and all you could think of is to attack her personally. Do yourself a favor and don't post another comment unless it is informative or constructive.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I like how the guy said everyone bones are ABOUT the same, like in comparison. The Bone lady say yeah some are slightly bigger, slightly smaller but the difference isn't significant....

And everyone jumps down his throat "YOU THINK ALL BONES ARE ALL EXACTLY THE SAME?!?!"

Reading compression people...

did you mean 'comprehension'????
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! Big boned is nothing but bull**** that big people use as an excuse to be big. I know, used that same excuse myself for years!

When I say, "I have a large frame," or, "I am big boned," I do NOT mean that accounts for my extra weight. All I mean is that I can weigh 10-15lbs more than another girl the same height as me, but still wear the same size as she does. I am under NO illusions that my frame size accounts for the extra 110lbs I'm carrying around! I say this based on the way clothes, bracelets, rings, and shoes fit me even when I was 145lbs and wearing a dress size 7/8. At that weight, a medium top was loose on me except through the shoulders where it was a little snug, I still wore a size 8 on my ring finger, I still had a hard time finding watches and bracelets that weren't too snug on my wrists, and I still had to wear a wide shoe size in most cases. My mom, on the other hand, at the same height and weight, could wear medium tops without an issue, had a size 6 ring finger, had no problem finding bracelets that fit, and had a normal sized foot. Even now, at about forty pounds overweight she still doesn't have a problem with her ring size, shoe size, and bracelets not fitting around her wrist. I have a larger bone structure than she does. I have a large frame, she has a medium frame. So, not EVERY big person uses this as an excuse to stay big, although I will concede that I've heard the term used by SOME people who are in denial about their weight.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like how the guy said everyone bones are ABOUT the same, like in comparison. The Bone lady say yeah some are slightly bigger, slightly smaller but the difference isn't significant....

And everyone jumps down his throat "YOU THINK ALL BONES ARE ALL EXACTLY THE SAME?!?!"

Reading compression people...

did you mean 'comprehension'????
    I wasn't the only one who noticed the irony then? Unless he is sitting on his computer and reading through osmosis...I guess that could be considered "reading compression".
    Editted to say: OK, that wasn't nice...sorry.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! Big boned is nothing but bull**** that big people use as an excuse to be big. I know, used that same excuse myself for years!

When I say, "I have a large frame," or, "I am big boned," I do NOT mean that accounts for my extra weight. All I mean is that I can weigh 10-15lbs more than another girl the same height as me, but still wear the same size as she does. I am under NO illusions that my frame size accounts for the extra 110lbs I'm carrying around! I say this based on the way clothes, bracelets, rings, and shoes fit me even when I was 145lbs and wearing a dress size 7/8. At that weight, a medium top was loose on me except through the shoulders where it was a little snug, I still wore a size 8 on my ring finger, I still had a hard time finding watches and bracelets that weren't too snug on my wrists, and I still had to wear a wide shoe size in most cases. My mom, on the other hand, at the same height and weight, could wear medium tops without an issue, had a size 6 ring finger, had no problem finding bracelets that fit, and had a normal sized foot. Even now, at about forty pounds overweight she still doesn't have a problem with her ring size, shoe size, and bracelets not fitting around her wrist. I have a larger bone structure than she does. I have a large frame, she has a medium frame. So, not EVERY big person uses this as an excuse to stay big, although I will concede that I've heard the term used by SOME people who are in denial about their weight.

EXACTLY! It's only relevant to clothing sizes and measurements. Your bone structure doesn't alter your scale weight.
  • jcstanton
    Options

I'd rather HAVE a big *kitten* than BE a big *kitten*. It's much easier to lose weight than it is to change a character flaw. :drinker:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    OBVIOUSLY everyone has different a different frame size, so a 5'-6" person with a small frame would weigh less than a 5'-6" person with a large frame even if they had the same % body fat.

But......and its a big one, you don't have a 220 pound skeleton.

Frame size accounts for 20, or 25 pound differential TOPS.

Best of luck to you.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The average female skeleton weighs around 25 pounds but there's a 5 pound swing in either direction so the normal range is 20 - 30 pounds. The rest of your weight is other stuff and can't be blamed on being "big boned". Of course you could have a larger wrist circumference than someone else of the same height but that isn't going to alter your weight by more than a pound or two. To attribute being a size 14 due to your frame isn't accurate. A size zero dress would fall off of your actual skeleton. The amount of muscle and fat stored around your bones is the difference between you and other people of equal height.

http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-04142004-154547/unrestricted/Suskewicz_thesis.pdf
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am a 6" tall female. I weigh 170 pounds, and according to my BMI that is a healthy weight for me. I have very wide hips too. At my smallest I weighed around 153 and could get into a size 10, But I was grossly underweight for my height. My wide hipbones were sticking out and people kept telling me I looked sick. Now I dont worry about my weight as much as I focus on weather or not I am in shape. Check your BMI and aim for that weight. Good luck!

6 inches and 170 pounds. That might be a record on here! j/k...I know you meant 6', not 6".
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Anybody have any thoughts on differences in bone DENSITY playing a factor in addition to frame size? As someone else has said, some people are set farther apart at the hips and shoulders even though the circumference of each bone is roughly the same. How about how dense a person's bones are, though. Strong bones are a genetic trait on my paternal grandmother's side of the family. My three brothers and I all seem to have inherited this trait, but my sister seems to be much more delicate. I know it doesn't make a HUGE difference, but it seems like bone density might account (in conjunction with muscle mass/bodyfat) for why I can weigh a few pounds more than another girl/woman roughly the same height, but we wear the same size clothing (in some cases I can wear a size smaller).
  • RomyTerrace
    RomyTerrace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    nevermind
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    We all vary in size, but I just don't buy into the "I'm big boned" excuse.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Don't go by the number on the scale or the size of pants. That's like saying 00 is perfect for everyone when in actuality, a tall person or large framed person would look scary with it compared to a 4'5" tiny girl. When you start losing weight, just keep tabs on yourself and how YOU think you look. Work on your body fat % more than achieving the perfect numbers. Use weights to keep tone and not be skinny fat and you'll know when you're at the right size for YOU!
  • tbielaczyc
    Options
    Check out livestrong.com, they have an actual measurement system of the wrist vs. height etc. I'm 6'0 tall w/a 7.5in wrist, so yes, I have a "large" frame.

Step 1
    Determine your wrist circumference using a flexible strip of measuring tape. Wrap the strip snugly but not tightly around the uppermost portion of your wrist, just below the point at which your hand would flex forward.

Step 2
    Write the exact measurement in inches, rounded to the nearest 1/4-inch, on a piece of paper.

Step 3
    Evaluate your wrist size relative to your height to determine your body frame size. According to the National Institutes of Health, a woman under 5 feet 2 inches tall has a large frame if her wrist size exceeds 5.75 inches. A woman with a height between 5 feet 2 inches tall and 5 feet 5 inches tall has a large frame if her wrist measurement is more than than 6.25 inches. Women who are taller than 5 feet 5 inches tall are considered to have large frames if their wrist measurement is more than 6.5 inches. All men who are more 5 feet 5 inches tall have large frames if their wrist circumferences exceed 7.5 inches.

Step 4
    Calculate your body mass index using the tools provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. For most people with large frames, a BMI between 23 and 26 is healthiest. Understand that obesity is as dangerous to people with large frames as it is to people with small and medium frames. Regardless of your body type, it is important to consult a physician or a personal trainer if you believe you are overweight. Appropriate fitness measures can prevent obesity-related health problems in people of all shapes and sizes.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/179337-how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-large-body-frame/#ixzz26HCp8g4G
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    You may or may not be big-boned, really you won't know for sure until you are in the healthy weight range for your height. If you've overweight, than can actually effect the measurement of your wrist.

I'm 5'3.5", 127lbs and my wrist measurement is 6" - that makes me medium framed.

However when I was overweight at 165lbs, my wrist measurement was 6.5" - large framed.

What she said. My wrist shrank, when I got less fat. Also, i would not say I am particularly big boned looking, the way some people are (I have a couple body shots in my profile that you can see) and my wrist is 6.25 which is medium or medium large depending on what you look like.

But I weigh 165, which should look overweight for someone who is 5'6" and I don't think I look overweight at all (er I should mention the workout shirt pic is me sucking in deliberately to see what that would look like) - I certainly have some fat to lose, but I'm not overweight.

So I mean, I think larger framed IS a thing - I'm thicker overall in measurements, I think - but I don't think that its easy to judge visually and its impossible to judge on someone that is still overweight.

My advice to you is not to worry about it. IT DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL. Start working out, eat the right amount of calories, and see how much you weigh when your body looks the way you want. That's the ideal weight for you. Frame size is not that meaningful.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!