No really... I AM big boned..?

Options

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    There are such things as small/medium/large frames. Saying that, a size 10 is totally possible for any of them. I am "big boned" and I weigh 203 atm and I am 5'7. I am in a size 12 jean. At my goal weight of 170, I should be in a 6-8.

This is what I look like. And no, Im not holding it in. My chest actually looks like that. haha

June20121014.jpg

Hmmm, well my goal weight is 150 and I plan to wear a size 16 when I reach that weight. (It's the size I wore when I weighed 150 while in college.) Please don't pretend that people that weigh the same are the same size. *searching for the eye rolling icon*

I'll insert the eye roll. She didn't say everyone was the same, she said the there is something to the small/med/lg frame and gave her stats. Shea wearing lifting gloves so assuming that she lifts. Obviously a person who lifts is going to weigh more at the same size as a person who doesn't (or to put it differently be a smaller size at the same weight) as muscle is more dense than fat.

Thanks for sticking up for me. That was really nice of you.:flowerforyou:

To the bitter girl:
    I posted my pic to show what my body looks like at my stats. It was just an example of what I look like in this stage of my journey. it wasn't meant to say "You should look like this" because every body is different. I know that some people have trouble areas of their bodies and are not going to fit in the same size pants at the same weight. I am super sensitive to those issues, especially with some of my friends that have worked their butts off and haven't got the results they deserve. That said...

I do lift weights...6 days a week for 1.5 hours a day on top of 1-1.5 hours of cardio a day. I'm not talking about walking on a treadmill, I am bringing it and my shirt is soaked in sweat by the time I am done. I burn like 1000-1700 HRM calories a day. I worked my butt off for my body and that's why I am a size 12 at 203lbs. That's why I will be a size 6-8 when I am at 170. I have muscles...I even have abs. I have gone through a year and a half going to the gym almost every day and I feel I have earned the right to be where I am. Someone hiding behind a computer having a unnecessary attitude with me for being successful is pretty sad. Go ahead, roll your eyes because I am happy. You clearly are not or the whole jealousy monster wouldn't have made an appearance. Good luck in your weight loss.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I like how the guy said everyone bones are ABOUT the same, like in comparison. The Bone lady say yeah some are slightly bigger, slightly smaller but the difference isn't significant....

And everyone jumps down his throat "YOU THINK ALL BONES ARE ALL EXACTLY THE SAME?!?!"

Reading compression people...

did you mean 'comprehension'????
    I wasn't the only one who noticed the irony then? Unless he is sitting on his computer and reading through osmosis...I guess that could be considered "reading compression".
    Editted to say: OK, that wasn't nice...sorry.

Seriously though, this guy makes a habit of going around bashing on peoples posts - so I hesitate to feel bad. I actually LOVED how ...... ignorant he sounded with that whole "compression" crap. Nice try buddy :P
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If people have EXACTLY THE SAME skeletons then how is it possible to identify male from female when fossils are discovered from ancient cultures?

Why are some women to 'narrow' for childbirth if the skeletons are EXACTLY the same? is the fat making their hips closer together?

If all skeletons are the same please explain Osteoporosis and the other skeletal disorders. By this thinking then it would be impossible to have any differences in structure at all.

Here's one from the American Journal of clinical nutrition : http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/6/1012.long which discusses frame sizes.

It is utterly ridiculous to say that everyone has the same size of skeleton.
  • jannamc09
    jannamc09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OK, to all those who are posting the "big boned" xray pic.... I am an X-Ray tech, have been for 15 years. I work in an orthopedic sugery office, we specialize in bones and joints. Some people DO have bigger bones than others, there are different sizes we use in joint replacements. With that said, you cannot tell by looking at someone if they have "big bones".

Do not worry about a number. A size is just a size. Think about how you feel. If you are comfortable at a certain weight, and healthy, who cares what size you wear?
  • xxpipsxx
    xxpipsxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are many people on here claiming to be experts in this field and some even having the check to completely misquote scientific journals which I believe should never be used in contexts like this when people who don't necessarily understand the field can just manipulate it to prove the point they want. Ok I am a biologist and I am stating what the majority of the field will tell you. Yes there is such a thing as big boned but all the people in this article are using it in completely the wrong context. There is variety in all the human body but people will tell you the ratio isn't very big it's about 1:1.4 therefore people using it to say they are a size 16 or something is using it in the wrong context, personally I believe that everyone can get down to a size 10 (uk) on bottoms and 8 (uk) tops. Being big boned may be the reason you can not get down to a size zero (usually due to hips) but never be used as a reason someone is overweight (unless they actually have some of the much rarer serious bone conditions). And just because I feel like I have to say it please do not listen to that person on page one, the one that said that you can't tell from a female and male sceleton if there is no such thing as big boned, even stating that one thing that stuck out at me proves that they know absolutely nothing about this topic, there is a massive contrast between male and female skeletons, men and women really are "wired" differently it's easy to tell the difference even without looking at how big the bones are, that journal is quoted out of context, sorry for the rant just bugs me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    < is actually big boned. Does not blame big bones for being fat.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Looking for some motivation!

Anyone else out there have a large frame and able to share their story? I'm 5'8 and 220... generally wear a size 16. I was at a Doctor's office the other day and he told me I was NOT big boned, and that he's seen much bigger - he's kinda given me a complex now! So I went and looked online to see how I can judge this myself and the circumference of my wrist is 7"....and according to everything I read that's big boned! I am very broad and carry weight all over, anyways I'm trying to lose weight, and I really wish I can get down to a size 10, is this even possible? I don't even remember a time that I wore something outside of a size 14. About 3 years ago I dropped down to 180, and I was wearing a size 14 - and this was a healthy look for me.

Am I deluding myself into thinking my frame will prevent me from going down to a size 10?

If anyone has got some stories, please share! Thanks!

When I was over 200 pounds (at 5'2 1/2"), I had huge wrists I could not wrap my own fingers around (thumb to middle finger). And now look: pinger_916262946.jpg

I'm no longer "big boned." ??? Yeah... I think the big boned thing is a myth. Perhaps even an excuse. *shrug*
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I swear I resized that, and I don't know why it won't get smaller on here. It's small on photobucket.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    5'6, currently 204. My wrist is BONEY (I have no fat on it at all so it wont get smaller unless somehow I lose skin) its over 7inches. I am big boned and I have BEEN size 10 so yes, it is possible. At my smallest (135 and sickly looking) I was a size 6/7. My goal will be 8/10 at about 145.

I'm also 5'6 with boney <6 inch wrists, and at 135 pounds I'm pudgy. I weighed 125 pounds when I graduated from college, and by the time it crept up to 135, I was calling it middle aged spread.

I'm not sure wrist size is the best indicator of a good goal weight, though. I've never had a very curvy build for a female and any excess weight I gain goes to lard up my midsection. I can have a "spare tire" large enough to fit a truck and still have scrawny thighs and practically no butt. I think women with hourglass or pear shape builds can not only get away with carrying more weight than women with my type of build, they NEED to weigh more to look their best. Those curves are worth having (I've been envious all my adult life) and yeah, they weigh something.
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    No, sceletons are not all the same size.
  • PsychSmith
    PsychSmith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thought I just was a curvy girl. I just had a DEXA scan where the machine measures and gives you a pictures of all the fat, muscle, and bone in your body. It was a wake up call. Although it hurt to see, the picture I have the the 50 lbs of fat on my body is pure motivation to change. I'm glad to see the truth now, because I can see the possibilities now.
  • breelovesderby
    Options
    There really is no such thing as "big boned" in the sense of I'm not fat, I'm big boned. Bones can be different sizes, but it is not like your bones are bigger and that is why you are fat. My bones are not "big"and I am fat. I am fat because I eat too much and don't have good self discipline (;
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    Options
    There is really no such thing as big boned. Your bones are your bones.
  • thejen75
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.

I tend to agree here.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Bones-1.jpg
  • ChanyL
    Options
    You know, doctors aren't always right...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

When I was over 200 pounds (at 5'2 1/2"), I had huge wrists I could not wrap my own fingers around (thumb to middle finger). And now look: pinger_916262946.jpg

I'm no longer "big boned." ??? Yeah... I think the big boned thing is a myth. Perhaps even an excuse. *shrug*
    My wrists have little to no fat on them - the bones are clearly visible even though I'm overweight. They measure 7" around with the tape pulled tight. I can't touch my finger to my thumb with a firm grip, even though my middle finger is 3" long (hello ladies) and from my finger tip to the bottom of my palm is 7". My shoulders are 55" around the tops. Some people genuinely are big boned.

Big bones still don't make you fat, though.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Whether you are big boned or not does not bring up the real question, do you need to lose weight? If yes, then do so, regardless of what frame you may be.

I'm "big-boned" yet I can fit into a US dress size 2. At an average weight my ribs, hip bones, etc stick out. It may stop you from getting to a low weight but not an average size...
  • jigglypuff
    jigglypuff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as larger framed people. I wouldn't put much mind to what your doctor has to say on whether you're large framed or not. He simply doesn't want you to think it's okay to be heavier than you should. Which is true, being naturally "big boned" is not an excuse to keep weight on.

I'm also a very large framed woman. Even when I was thin, I was bigger and wider than all the other women who were my size or larger. I'm just a very big, strong person naturally. I swear, I could have been a lumberjack lol. My wrist is also 7" but it tends to shrink down to about 5 1/2 - 6" when I lose weight. But even thin, I sometimes have problems finding bracelets and watches that fit my wrists.

Bottom line is, you have to figure out what healthy size works best for you. Your body frame will always remain big but your weight will change regardless.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!