No really... I AM big boned..?

Options

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and would consider myself large framed. A few years ago I was underweight (not healthy and not by choice!), lbs with no pinchable fat ANYWHERE, size A boobs etc, and I was still a size 8/9 jean. I am healthy and comfortable in a size 10. At a size 12, people would consider me "normal"

For you, I wouldn't worry about a jean size. If you can, have your body fat % measured. Some scales will give you a rough approximation, skin calipers, or a measuring tape will give you a better idea. Look at some charts and pictures to determine what body fat % you want. Do some math, and that will give you your goal weight.

This is long, but will walk you through the steps:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=2.0
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any thoughts on differences in bone DENSITY playing a factor in addition to frame size?

I also wonder how much difference there can be in weight caused by bone density. Anyone know offhands?

Also, I wanted to add, just for clarification, that I absolutely don't think that I am at my present weight because I have a large frame. Obviously, I am currently carrying too much adipose tissue. That being said, I also currently carry about 126 pounds of Lean Body Tissue. Obviously, getting down to 125 would be interesting. And I know what some will say, but I have not had any significant loss in Lean Body Tissue since losing the weight so far. I always look lighter than I am, and I always have. I saw an earlier comment that those of us with large frames pack on muscle more easily...could be something to that. I am not an expert, I only know how my body responds. But, no, I am not interested in competitive body building, but thanks for the thought. My husband, son, and career generally take too much of my time for such a committment. (Besides, competitive badminton sounds way more fun than weight lifting :tongue: )
  • Sehena
    Options
    Big boned. Thin boned. You're never going to know until you lose that weight! And really? Does it matter? I mean Jennifer Lawrence is big boned and she's a movie star! Just be happy with the way you are when you're thin and healthy!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10" and have the frame and organs of a 10 year old child which with this extra weight is causing all kinds of issues with heart, joint and bone pain so I'm trying to become the size of a 10 year old all over instead of just on the inside.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I also wonder how much difference there can be in weight caused by bone density. Anyone know offhands?

Probably around 5 pounds. See my previous post.
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    I am big boned too. I'm 5'8 and currently 180lbs,ish.
    I have never, even at 135lbs been smaller than a size 8 due to my hip size and the bones being so wide.
    It happens to the best of us...just go with the flow and forget what others say. Some people really are big boned.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and big-boned in my hips, so I'm a size 10 at only 126 pounds. I'm sure you could get down to a size 10. Nobody has hips as big as mine.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.

uh, you would be incorrect. how would you explain me being a size 10 at 126 pounds and 5'4" then? from what I can tell, most people my height and weight are a much smaller size.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I agree!!! Big boned is nothing but bull**** that big people use as an excuse to be big. I know, used that same excuse myself for years!

Big boned can be used as an exuse to wear a bigger size. It cannot be used as an excuse to be overweight.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I think it goes by the width, not that your bone is technically bigger. I can feel from bone to bone on my wrist, and I was told I have a denser bone structure. I've been told you can also tell from your rib cage and hips. I think it does matter in this aspect when i comes to what your potential goal weight can be. My doctor told me that I will never be 125 lbs, I would look sickly. But there are plenty of girls at my height that can go that low. I have a high LBM and was told my goal should be between 170 - 150, also according to where my BF% is at. For my weight my BF% is on the lower side and my muscle mass is high.

I would go off your BF% to be able to tell what may be a good goal weight for you. I haven't set one yet because I have never been close to any of my goal numbers, so I plan one just hitting my first goal and re assess from there. As long as my BF% is in the healthy range, I will be happy :)

Good Luck!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I would love to see a girl with a 12 - 10% body fat claim she is big boned.

Only fat people make this claim.

At my lowest adult weight, I was 103 pounds, 5'4" and still had big hips. 103 pounds is actually underweight for that height, so you're wrong. I don't know what my body fat % was, but regardless a smaller body fat % does not elminate bone. I always considered myself to be big boned in my hips.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

And you can back this up scientifically, how???

A woman who stands 5'10" will have a larger bone scale than a woman who stands 5'2"...
    just sayin'
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If people have EXACTLY THE SAME skeletons then how is it possible to identify male from female when fossils are discovered from ancient cultures?

Why are some women to 'narrow' for childbirth if the skeletons are EXACTLY the same? is the fat making their hips closer together?

If all skeletons are the same please explain Osteoporosis and the other skeletal disorders. By this thinking then it would be impossible to have any differences in structure at all.

Here's one from the American Journal of clinical nutrition : http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/6/1012.long which discusses frame sizes.

It is utterly ridiculous to say that everyone has the same size of skeleton.

THIS.

We are all built differently, and yes, some have more dense or thicker bones than others. Try instead to focus on your health, your fitness, and the numbers will fall in line. I am 5'10" and my best was 180. I would have had to stop eating to get thinner (I was working out 2 hrs/day, 5-6 days/wk). Don't worry about the number on the scale or on the tag, it is really about a stronger, healthier you!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am big boned, 5'8" 168 lbs 7 inch wrist. I am in a size 10. I beleive if you are 220 and have a 7 inch wrist, you are not large boned just like your doctor said. Your wrist will be bigger as you are overweight, so as you lose it will get smaller. My bones protrude on mine, so I know it can't get any smaller. It is possible to get to your goal size. I haven't been the weight I am now since I was 18 years old, 11 years ago....it can be done. Best of luck!
  • Dara80
    Dara80 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Seriously. I am 5'9" and I look like an amazon woman next to my female peers. Seriously, I am bigger than all the females and even the guys at work. The way I see it, this is me. Being a healthy weight is more important than what your bone structure is. Although if you've always been bigger than most females, not just weight wise, then I would say you do have a larger frame. =-) Don't let a stupid doctor give you a complex. Doctors are humans and that leaves them open to error.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am big boned, but I do have a large structure. I'm 5'8.5" and at my heaviest I was 260 but no one would have ever guessed that. I carry my weight well and have a very broad build. I think a lot of heavy people like to think they have a larger frame than most, but 99% of the time I think it's just fat. My comfort weight is 175-165.

this was me around 240

n49yk7.jpg

most people would guess I was 180ish.

edit: Please excuse the dirty mirror haha.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    This is so funny because everyone thought I was big boned when I was over weight. I think it looks that way when you have muscle AND fat.

Don't worry about it. And don't worry about what size you will be yet. Just lose the weight and see what you have.

I was over weight and obese most of my life and finally lost the weight last year. I never knew what was under all that fat until I lost it. I'm pretty small, but have very strong bones and muscles.

Size of bone does not matter, density does. Working out (with weights!) will make them strong and dense and prevent osteoporosis. I recently had a DXA scan done and at 51.5 years old I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old! Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting holds back the time clock I don't know what is!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options

When I say, "I have a large frame," or, "I am big boned," I do NOT mean that accounts for my extra weight. All I mean is that I can weigh 10-15lbs more than another girl the same height as me, but still wear the same size as she does. I am under NO illusions that my frame size accounts for the extra 110lbs I'm carrying around! I say this based on the way clothes, bracelets, rings, and shoes fit me. So, not EVERY big person uses this as an excuse to stay big, although I will concede that I've heard the term used by SOME people who are in denial about their weight.

I can stand next to someone who is the same height as me and almost guarantee you i will outweigh them by 15-20 lbs or more. People freak out when I tell them how much I weight, because their reaction is always "where do you put it?" Some of us have large skeleton structures and carry a lot of skeletal muscles. Not using any excuse to be fat because I am proof that it can be done. I am no longer fat and am still a large framed woman. Other people using this excuse make it hard for us who actually are large boned to have any credibility.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Fine lets take you for example, you are not big boned from what I can see in your photo, but you are fat, from what I can see in your photo.

Do you consider yourself big boned, because from a bystanders view you are just over weight.

Honestly, this has to be one of the most rude comments I have ever seen. So unnecessary. She made her point and all you could think of is to attack her personally. Do yourself a favor and don't post another comment unless it is informative or constructive.

^^^This^^^
    Agreed. Looks like someone needs some Midol, because that was a pure b!tch comment. And we don't need no stinkin' picture to figure that out.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am big boned with an athletic build. My boney wrist is 7"(I am 5"1'), I have wide set hips naturally, and my bra size at my skinniest never got under a 34 at the largest possible hook.

It's not an excuse, it just means that my ideal weight is around 120lbs. instead of 105-110lbs. like others my size.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!