No really... I AM big boned..?

Options

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I know there's a lot of differing opinions on this topic. I don't know if I qualify as "big boned" (to be honest, I don't know what that means) but I can say that, at my lowest weight ever, 165, I wore a size 8/10 and was trying to work on getting another 5 lbs off. My trainer actually stopped me and said - no more losing weight - look at you.

He was right - my ribs were starting to stick out and my collar bone looked funny. If I kept trying to lose to get into a smaller size, I would have not looked okay. I know more about fitness now, so I may have been able to build more muscle and get "smaller" but my weight probably would have gone up - not that it matters (again, it's all relative).

Note - I'm pretty tall - 5"9 - but after that experience, I don't think I'll ever be smaller than a size 8/10 (albeit, this is likely a 4/6 in certain stores - as we all know)

I think - ultimately - don't worry about size. Just follow a body fat percentage and you should be ok. What i wouldn't give to be back down to that weight though!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    There are such things as small/medium/large frames. Saying that, a size 10 is totally possible for any of them. I am "big boned" and I weigh 203 atm and I am 5'7. I am in a size 12 jean. At my goal weight of 170, I should be in a 6-8.

This is what I look like. And no, Im not holding it in. My chest actually looks like that. haha

June20121014.jpg
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Skeletons may vary in size, but I've never really seen one that looks fat or overly large. Its what we cover it with which causes the main difference in size.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Oh. You're serious about this big boned thing? I was laughing about this at first until I realized that you were serious. I kind of think of the big boned thing as if somebody said that the Earth was flat. You can get down to a size 5 if you're willing to work at it, and a size 10 is only a heart beat away, as long as you're consistent, change your eating patterns, and stick with it for long term.
  • walkermom58
    walkermom58 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hope my wrist size goes down with my weight! I would love to wear cute bracelets, but most don't fit me. I wear a size 10 now and my wrist is the same size:( Hoping to get to a size 8 soon, maybe it will go down some then.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    5'6, currently 204. My wrist is BONEY (I have no fat on it at all so it wont get smaller unless somehow I lose skin) its over 7inches. I am big boned and I have BEEN size 10 so yes, it is possible. At my smallest (135 and sickly looking) I was a size 6/7. My goal will be 8/10 at about 145.

My wrists were just as boney at 165 as they are at 133. Wrists are not a common place to store fat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There are such things as small/medium/large frames. Saying that, a size 10 is totally possible for any of them. I am "big boned" and I weigh 203 atm and I am 5'7. I am in a size 12 jean. At my goal weight of 170, I should be in a 6-8.

This is what I look like. And no, Im not holding it in. My chest actually looks like that. haha

June20121014.jpg

Hmmm, well my goal weight is 150 and I plan to wear a size 16 when I reach that weight. (It's the size I wore when I weighed 150 while in college.) Please don't pretend that people that weigh the same are the same size. *searching for the eye rolling icon*
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You may or may not be big-boned, really you won't know for sure until you are in the healthy weight range for your height. If you've overweight, than can actually effect the measurement of your wrist.

I'm 5'3.5", 127lbs and my wrist measurement is 6" - that makes me medium framed.

However when I was overweight at 165lbs, my wrist measurement was 6.5" - large framed.
    That was exactly what I was thinking. Your wrists will get smaller (just like the rest of your arms) as you lose weight. I think a size 10 is a very realistic goal for someone with a large frame (as long as you mean a US 10). Honestly though, don't worry about the size or the number, work until you are happy with yourself. Just don't let an excuse keep you from making progress, you can be a size 10 if you want to be, or you can be a 14 if you're happy there but be honest with yourself about it.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't think the size of our bones has anything to do with "I can't reach x size or x weight". But I think it does come into play more with weight distribution. Someone who has a large frame at 140 pounds and someone who has a small frame at 140 will look different even with the same height.

The person with larger bones has more of their bones making up weight, whereas the person with smaller bones has more fat making up weight (fat, muscle, etc). that's why there are adjusted weight ranges for each frame size. because people with larger bones will look healthy without having to weight as little as someone with a small frame - there's a body fat% difference
  • MsMurrayinMO
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm big boned. I used to hold steady at 5'7" and 140 lbs. With my build I couldn't get smaller than a size 10 no matter what I did. I was okay with a size 10 knowing that I was a healthy weight and I got a lot of complements on how I looked. I currently am 220. I am not striving for 140 but 170 would be fine with me. I will probably only get down to a 14 but at least I will not have to shop in the specialty larger women's stores to find figure flattering clothes.

I have had 3 children and multiple surgeries that keep me from wearing a bikini but I can rock a tankini even now. I just make sure I emphasize my assets to keep people from looking at the not so nice parts. Be confident in who you are no matter what size you are right now. That confidence will shine through to everyone around you and they will no longer notice your size.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    There's a difference in being big boned and being shaped different. I have normal bones... I guess lol. But I have a HUGE rib cage, and wide hips, but a very small waist. I look obese from the front and thin from the side. I mean let's put it simply; you need to lose weight. So do I. But people are going to look differently at different weights. Even if we were the same height same weight, we are all going to have a unique shape and body.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am big boned, but I do have a large structure. I'm 5'8.5" and at my heaviest I was 260 but no one would have ever guessed that. I carry my weight well and have a very broad build. I think a lot of heavy people like to think they have a larger frame than most, but 99% of the time I think it's just fat. My comfort weight is 175-165.

this was me around 240

n49yk7.jpg

most people would guess I was 180ish.

edit: Please excuse the dirty mirror haha.

That's how I am as well. At 190 people thought I was about 150, which is 5lbs LIGHTER than my goal weight.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Even when I was around the 120 mark I had extremely wide hips...... So I get where you're coming from.

I wouldn't call it big boned, just different people have different frames.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    worry about what size you can get down to when you get down to it.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've read online that bone frame sizes only vary your weight by as much as 10 pounds.

For example a small frame person at 5'5 would look healthy at 120, medium frame at 130, big frame at 140 (just throwing random numbers out, just to illustrate the trend.)

Personally...I used to tell myself I was "big-boned". It was an excuse for me. Down 44lbs!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    5'6, currently 204. My wrist is BONEY (I have no fat on it at all so it wont get smaller unless somehow I lose skin) its over 7inches. I am big boned and I have BEEN size 10 so yes, it is possible. At my smallest (135 and sickly looking) I was a size 6/7. My goal will be 8/10 at about 145.

My wrists were just as boney at 165 as they are at 133. Wrists are not a common place to store fat.
    I guess it depends on the person. When I was at my highest weight of 185, I didn't think my wrists were any bigger. I bought a nonadjustable watch and it didn't fit, I thought it was just made too small because I didn't think my wrists were big at all. Now that I've lost weight, the watch fits with extra room. But I'm a pear shape and I lose from my upper body first, and my arms get smaller before my legs do.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    famous line used by ex. that is one reason, among others, she is the ex. don't believe the hype.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My wrist measurement is 6". That would make me on the larger side of medium, but I wear a size 4. I'm only 5'4". I weigh 130 pounds. I would like to lose a little weight, but I don't necessarily "need" to-- I have a healthy BMI and exercise daily. So I don't really think there's much truth to the small/medium/large frame thing. I mean, who gets to define what is small or large anyway? I would just try to focus on strength/fitness level, how much fat is on my body, and how I feel about myself. Frame size is kind of pointless.
  • jamm2000
    Options
    I am 5'8" 156 lbs and a size 10. While I don't buy into the "big boned" theory, I do think that bone structure can limit your clothing size. I have a broad rib cage with practically no fat, but I will never fit into a small top (without regards to boobs). And there are women with broad hips who no matter how fit and toned they are will be limited in size by the width of their hips, unless they wear spandex all the time. Anywho, just work hard until you reach whatever you deem to be an appropriate goal. You'll know it when you get there. Good luck, hun!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

June20121014.jpg

Hmmm, well my goal weight is 150 and I plan to wear a size 16 when I reach that weight. (It's the size I wore when I weighed 150 while in college.) Please don't pretend that people that weigh the same are the same size. *searching for the eye rolling icon*

I'll insert the eye roll. She didn't say everyone was the same, she said the there is something to the small/med/lg frame and gave her stats. Shea wearing lifting gloves so assuming that she lifts. Obviously a person who lifts is going to weigh more at the same size as a person who doesn't (or to put it differently be a smaller size at the same weight) as muscle is more dense than fat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!