Impossible to eat healthy when in debt

Options

Replies

• brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There are these things called beans, they're $1 a bag and you can feed everyone. Rice too. And theres also pasta which is $1 a box and sauce is $2-3. There's another meal there for $4.

You need more than beans & rice or pasta & sauce to make a balanced meal for the family. I can appreciate where your coming from, feeding a family on a couple dollars per meal is possible but not sustainable for healthy living.

We go to Costco a couple times a month and stock up on meats, chicken, fish. I go the the farmers market to see what I can snag for fresh produce.

I have friends that buy shares in local farms and that gives them a supply of fresh produce every week. You might not want everything they grow but it's nice to try out new things and learn new recipe's based on what's in the box that week.

I've been dirt poor, I raised 3 children on one income so I know what it's like to not be able to afford some meat and salad to go with the pasta and sauce. It wasn't a choice, I wasn't using half my income to pay off debt. If you have the money up front to stock up and buy in bulk the things you can freeze, the dry or canned goods you can stock up on it helps.

I learned if you can't buy fresh veggies, frozen is the better option but if you need to resort to canned, rinsing the veggies can help wash away some of the extra sodium they pack it in. Bagged salad mix or even a 6 pack of romaine lettuce at Costco is fairly cheap, so are the cucumbers, bell pepers, trays of tomatoes. Hubby and I get a couple bags of salad mix and all the fixins. He chops the veggies and stores them in separate containers in the fridge and each night we each pack a nice salad for lunch. I usually have a little tuna on a wheat wrap with lettuce and tomato and he has a Lean Cuisine meal with his.

You don't necessarily have to buy all organic foods, shoping smart isn't hard but it helps if your spouse is on the same page. I don't know how you'd get her to listen to your opinion but it sounds like you two need to sit down and work out a compromise.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    ok, the question has to be asked....what are you getting out of this marriage? you have a wife who has no respect for you and makes the rules because she makes the money. why do you put up with that?

We are Yin/Yang. She keeps me in check, I keep her in check. It's like we are each other's babysitters. That and I definitely love her! Like I said before, I treat her like a princess in every other part of the relationship EXCEPT with money. I hate her spending morals because of her conservative republican upbringing (though I can respect her POV though). And she hates that I would rather eat sausage without sodium nitrate because nitrates have been firmly linked to cancer. I'm sorry but if $1 more gets me a sausage that isn't going to kill me I'm going to eat it; or we just don't get sausage. Hell, I could eat salmon and turkey every day, she's the one that needs variety. :indifferent:
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think eating healthy is only expensive if you're buying lots of produce only because it goes bad fast so you have to hurry and eat it in 5-7 days or so. I like fresh way better than frozen so I spend the extra money on that and it's worth it to me. However I save money eating healthy because I'm not ordering take out or eating as much as I did before so my food lasts longer in that sense.
    Plus if you stop buying treats and pop that helps too!
  • k8bwalsh
    Options
    It does seem to be more expensive to eat healthy at first. But you need to shop around. I found a wonderful farmers market that sell their own produce at prices so much lower than the grocery store. A head of lettuce in the grocery store, for instance, is 99 cents, at this farmers market, only 69 cents. Buying prepackaged salads cost much more then a head of lettuce, a thing of romaine and a carrot. The prepackeaged salads good bad faster, too. The fresh stuff also lasts much longer. Yes, you might have to take more time to cut it up, shred it up, etc., but it definitely saves money. Also, look for good deals on meats and stock up when it's on sale. Many grocery stores sell family size/bulk at a discount. Just separate it at home and freeze it (I suggest labeling it with the date, so you are always using first in/first out.) Another pretty good tip I've learned to shop the permitter of the grocery store. It seems all the 'good for you' stuff is there, produce, dairy, meats. The center aisles tend to be the junk...cookies, crackers, soda, etc. The only exceptions are pasta, rice, beans - I venture into the middle aisles for that. And soup is great to stock up on, too. (Because who has time to make that from scratch, and there's so many varieties to choose from!) They are filling and often on sale. Lastly, coupons, coupons, coupons. Don't buy anything from the middle aisles without coupons!!
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    but your food budget gets cut in half because of somebody else's WANTS, not NEEDS. Healthy food (which doesn't mean restaurant quality) is a NEED....your wife wanting money for clothes is a WANT. your debt is going to spiral out of control when the unhealthy eating takes its toll on the family.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Not being snarky here but what is it that you do if she's the one who's out earning a living? Are you a stay at home dad?

Again this all seems to come back to you and your wife sitting down and having a serious talk. It's not necessary to go on vacation once a month so there's an expense that you can nix.

If you're the one that's doing the grocery shopping how is she influencing what you buy?

Oh and sorry to burst your bubble but her "conservative republican upbringing" has NOTHING to do with her "spending morals". I'm a conservative yet I seem to know how to save money and buy what I can afford. I suspect her spending morals has more to do with how she was used to living before and it seems as though she's not about to give up that life style.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I still think people who are eating healthy don't see just how easy it is to get food that's not good for you.

:::::: Opens Sale Ad ::::::::
    Oh look, 3 bags of family size chips for $4
    Oh and look here, apple pie for $2 (no apples used, all artificial flavoring)
    Oh and you can't go without hot dogs! 2 for a $1! What a steal! (1st ingredient is pork byproduct)
    Oh and you can't have hot dogs without buns! $1 white hot dog buns (no whole grains, loaded with sugar)
    But I wanna be healthy so lets get the diet pop 2 liter for $0.69 (Has aspartame which has been linked to brain tumors)
    I just spent $10 for two meals and an entire week of snacks/desserts for a family of 4.

But just wait what's this?
    "Bananas, $0.42 per pound" - On a family of 4 that would be $2 for a meal; why not get an apple pie instead and feed two meals?

^^^^^I don't agree with the above logic, but this is how many people think, including my wife^^^^^

It is absolutely true but it is not an excuse for not eating healthy.

Frozen veggies are relatively inexpensive for big bags and they are almost always on sale
    Canned veggies are great and inexpensive -- also usually on sale -- and you can actually get them without anything bad added
    Hebrew National makes natural hot dogs that don't have any HFCS or anything horrible in them
    Annies Organic Mac & Cheese is good - no crap ingredients
    Whole wheat breads and buns don't cost much more than the white breads and buns

Do you go grocery shopping with your wife?

Nope, my wife won't set foot in a store (severe social anxiety). So I have all the time in the world to browse each and every individual product and learn what's in them. And the more educated you can be about the product, the better choices you can make. But I bet if she DID do the shopping, I'd have some of the worst artificially flavored pennies on the dollar foods that are cancerous in my house to prepare and cook. OR she would stock up on that premium meat she craves and wouldn't get anything else to go with it.

But the logic of it all though is people don't know better that they are eating chemical compound death. All they see is the hot dog (seeing only the small details) but when they look at the ingredient list (the big picture) they will realize how much they did this obesity and health destruction to themselves.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    I still think people who are eating healthy don't see just how easy it is to get food that's not good for you.

:::::: Opens Sale Ad ::::::::
    Oh look, 3 bags of family size chips for $4
    Oh and look here, apple pie for $2 (no apples used, all artificial flavoring)
    Oh and you can't go without hot dogs! 2 for a $1! What a steal! (1st ingredient is pork byproduct)
    Oh and you can't have hot dogs without buns! $1 white hot dog buns (no whole grains, loaded with sugar)
    But I wanna be healthy so lets get the diet pop 2 liter for $0.69 (Has aspartame which has been linked to brain tumors)
    I just spent $10 for two meals and an entire week of snacks/desserts for a family of 4.

But just wait what's this?
    "Bananas, $0.42 per pound" - On a family of 4 that would be $2 for a meal; why not get an apple pie instead and feed two meals?

^^^^^I don't agree with the above logic, but this is how many people think, including my wife^^^^^

It is absolutely true but it is not an excuse for not eating healthy.

Frozen veggies are relatively inexpensive for big bags and they are almost always on sale
    Canned veggies are great and inexpensive -- also usually on sale -- and you can actually get them without anything bad added
    Hebrew National makes natural hot dogs that don't have any HFCS or anything horrible in them
    Annies Organic Mac & Cheese is good - no crap ingredients
    Whole wheat breads and buns don't cost much more than the white breads and buns

Do you go grocery shopping with your wife?

Nope, my wife won't set foot in a store (severe social anxiety). So I have all the time in the world to browse each and every individual product and learn what's in them. And the more educated you can be about the product, the better choices you can make. But I bet if she DID do the shopping, I'd have some of the worst artificially flavored pennies on the dollar foods that are cancerous in my house to prepare and cook. OR she would stock up on that premium meat she craves and wouldn't get anything else to go with it.

But the logic of it all though is people don't know better that they are eating chemical compound death. All they see is the hot dog (seeing only the small details) but when they look at the ingredient list (the big picture) they will realize how much they did this obesity and health destruction to themselves.

So now I'm really confused about your sales ad if she doesn't go to the grocery store with you. Why then is it difficult for you to incorporate healthy foods into your menu if your wife is not doing the grocery shopping?

ETA: I also browse the ingredients of items as well and will not buy anything with added crap.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your cable = afford healthy food and have money left over each month.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I think eating healthy is only expensive if you're buying lots of produce only because it goes bad fast so you have to hurry and eat it in 5-7 days or so. I like fresh way better than frozen so I spend the extra money on that and it's worth it to me. However I save money eating healthy because I'm not ordering take out or eating as much as I did before so my food lasts longer in that sense.

I agree whole-heartedly with this. Produce sucks. I have to shop 3 to 4 times a week to make sure I get produce that will stay fresh long enough for me to serve it. Sure, eating fresh produce is tough because you have to cut, cook, prepare it yourself, but at least it avoids all the nasty preservatives and with meat you avoid the sodium!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    If your in debt.. I don't even want to know what I am.
    I'm 21 living on my own in my own rental place, a paid off car
    not working full time since I'm in school and don't make a bundle of money.
    I still afford to buy healthy foods even if it means I walk to the store to save gas money......
  • JustJennie1
    Options

I agree whole-heartedly with this. Produce sucks. I have to shop 3 to 4 times a week to make sure I get produce that will stay fresh long enough for me to serve it. Sure, eating fresh produce is tough because you have to cut, cook, prepare it yourself, but at least it avoids all the nasty preservatives and with meat you avoid the sodium!

Frozen vegetables don't have preservatives. Ingredients on my store brand bag of frozen peas in the freezer: Peas.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    So now I'm really confused about your sales ad if she doesn't go to the grocery store with you. Why then is it difficult for you to incorporate healthy foods into your menu if your wife is not doing the grocery shopping?

ETA: I also browse the ingredients of items as well and will not buy anything with added crap.

Can't buy foods if she doesn't pay the credit card off. I'm not allowed to use the debit card because she does scheduled payments and she wants her points on my Discover Card. But what happens when the Discover Card doesn't get paid off because she wants to triple pay the Goodyear credit card so she can avoid $20 in interest? Point is, a person who controls financials controls the family. I have no problem with that, as long as she gives me the $$$$$ when I need it to feed the family.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Frozen vegetables don't have preservatives. Ingredients on my store brand bag of frozen peas in the freezer: Peas.

No, I agree, I buy frozen veggies too. I was talking more about the people who prefer canned veggies or processed meats. This wasn't at you, it was a general statement.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    do you not see a problem with 'he who makes the money controls it'? that isn't really what makes a successful marriage/partnership. You're 'not allowed' to use the debit card? are you her spouse or her child?
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    ok, the question has to be asked....what are you getting out of this marriage? you have a wife who has no respect for you and makes the rules because she makes the money. why do you put up with that?

We are Yin/Yang. She keeps me in check, I keep her in check. It's like we are each other's babysitters. That and I definitely love her! Like I said before, I treat her like a princess in every other part of the relationship EXCEPT with money. I hate her spending morals because of her conservative republican upbringing (though I can respect her POV though). And she hates that I would rather eat sausage without sodium nitrate because nitrates have been firmly linked to cancer. I'm sorry but if $1 more gets me a sausage that isn't going to kill me I'm going to eat it; or we just don't get sausage. Hell, I could eat salmon and turkey every day, she's the one that needs variety. :indifferent:

i decided to check out your food diary and you do in fact eat chicken sausage almost daily. how is that healthy just because it doesn't have sodium nitrate. your sodium levels overall do seem pretty high. i'm not an expert though and i don't claim to be one. you're eating chocolate squares every day and chocolate covered almonds and liquid egg whites (what's wrong with buying eggs and separating them from the yolks?) applegate hot dogs are great - i've had them but seriously hebrew national are just as good and cheaper, however at the end of the day it's still a hot dog. a slice of pork tenderloin is better for you. your peanut butter, krema (had to look that one up never heard of it before) yes it's good and since it's just peanuts have you thought about making your own. do you really need to eat fuji apples every single day why not go for apples that are less expensive or better yet apple picking season is here - go and pick them. these are just some of my suggestions.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Think of all the money you will save in medical bills eating healthy!
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    but your food budget gets cut in half because of somebody else's WANTS, not NEEDS. Healthy food (which doesn't mean restaurant quality) is a NEED....your wife wanting money for clothes is a WANT. your debt is going to spiral out of control when the unhealthy eating takes its toll on the family.

I agree entirely. But not everyone sees the benefits of healthy eating. A person is completely clueless about their state of cognition without someone telling them they are acting like a ducking fick. So to someone who is generally a jerk, they may resist eating healthy because they don't see the benefits; but when their cognitive functions repair and they aren't being a bucking fitch, they still won't be able to tell they changed until people start to compliment them for being a more pleasant person to be around.
  • feds1010
    Options
    oats are cheap
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No one is reading the post. Why are all of you so lazy? I was saying that we do have the money to eat healthy and each and everyone of you low attention span people seem to think I'm trying to say that we can't eat healthy when in debt. Sure my topic says that, but no one is doing what is necessary: READ THE DETAILS!

I was just saying that my wife controls the money and wants to control the diet too. She wants to eat extreme budget and convenience (McDonald $1 menu and Tacobell) so that way we can pay off our debt. Me on the other hand, I want to eat healthy (home cooked meals using REAL food and not artificially created or sodium/sugar loaded processed crap) and I could care less about our debt. We're 30 years old, the debt collectors will waith 30+ years to get their money, as long as they are getting it. But if we push off our health, we won't have 30+ years to enjoy after we're debt free!

It's all about priority. But regardless, you all are pulling the whole "TL;DR" thing on me so rather just have this thread locked because you all are lazy and won't read. I learned my lesson - get to the point faster and Don't title things excuses. Thanks interwebs for trolling me and showing me your low attention spans.

Wow, who farted in your oatmeal? smh