Celebrating Weight Loss When You're Still Over 300 lbs?

Options

Replies

• KayxGirl
    KayxGirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I read your post, and can honestly say I've been in the same situation...
    And I got over it!

I am currently at 290 lbs.
    I started at 311.

Now to bigger people, 290 might be a goal
    To smaller people, 290 must seem like I'm living a nightmare.

I'm not excited to be 290, because I'm still large. If you were to meet me for the first time, you would think I'm "fat" regardless of the weight I've lost.

At 20 years old, and just over 5 feet tall, 290 makes me look like a meatball!

But you know what? I don't have time to be depressed over that. Every single time I step on the scale and see I've lost even one pound, I dance. Right there in the bathroom, I do a victory dance. I look myself right in the face (in the mirror of course) and I say "Way to go, you sexy beast. One more pound gone forever, that you'll never have to lug around again."

I'm not happy to be 290. I'm happy to have lost 21 pounds.

Because look at it this way, If I was 150, and dropped down to 129, that would be a big deal. Why should it be any less important if I'm still chubby?

And furthermore, I think being a bigger girl and losing weight gives you even more of an accomplishment. I've been so overwhelmed, and even got to the 'what's the point' mindset. It can seem so hard when you have so much to lose, but you are doing it! You are winning this battle! You keep your head high and those pounds off, girl! You can do this. Every pound you lose, is a battle you've one, and is a celebration you deserve. :]
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Because look at it this way, If I was 150, and dropped down to 129, that would be a big deal. Why should it be any less important if I'm still chubby?

That's a really good point. Thank you. :)
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Don't feel that way! Celebrate every pound you lose!
  • doodles80
    Options
    Are you kidding me?

Any weight loss, no matter how small or large, and in whatever context to your final weight goal is worth celebrating.

If you do not seize the good then you will start to feel negative!

Well done - you are doing so well - keep it up!
  • Sptwoman
    Sptwoman Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    OK...(smack!!!) Only because you asked for it. You are doing so well. Celebrate your victories and feel good about your accomplishments. You are awesome! Keep up the good work.
  • skeeter2584
    skeeter2584 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on losing 37 pounds!!! You may still have a significant amount of weight to lose to reach your goal weight, but you're still 37 pounds better off now than when you first started. As the old saying goes, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. No matter how long it takes, your efforts are more than worth it. You're doing yourself a huge favor by losing excess pounds; gradual weight loss can help control blood pressure and prevent (or at least postpone) diabetes. Best wishes and keep up the great work!!! :smile:
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with a co-worker today! I have currently lost 57 pounds! (let the applause begin!!! LOL) I started at 365 almost 6 months ago, and haven't told anyone what I weighed for over 10 yrs - once I hit 240, I stuck there! So, when I first started losing, I wasn't saying anything. After all, if a 'regular' size person lost this keep of weight people would think they were disappearing. But then, once I started hitting 30, 35, 40 pounds I wanted to brag a little!
    So, now when people tease me about losing my hind end (why, god, why???), etc. I just laugh and say how much I've lost so far, and I say I was 365 when I started this, and I don't care if everyone knows how big I was, or even how big I am, because I am going to keep doing what I have been doing, and when I have lost it all I want everyone to know what a HUGE accomplishment this has been.
    So keep on bragging darlin'. You are working hard on yourself, and it really isn't the number that matters. Its what you do with it. Personally, I am damn proud of myself & everyone else that is working so hard to do this thing. So, kudos to everybody! Those of us that started over 300 spent some time not watching what we ate, not counting calories, and not working hard at this. The change from then to now is nothing short of miraculous & its our willpower that is doing so WE ARE AWESOME>
    :laugh:
  • 2011Eileen
    2011Eileen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes celebrate and be proud of your loss. It may be tiny baby steps, but bit by bit you will do it.
    Think of the changes you are slowly making, it is a slow process but you are so worth it.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    37lbs is the same as 4 newborn babies... Thats a great accomplishment.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Nah you don't have to feel that way, we all need to start somewhere. I had been there, other successful losers also started out like that but eventually those losses will add up and you'll just wake up one day & realize that you lost more than 100 pounds. Celebrate every little thing you accomplished, like you said a loss is a loss and losing 37 pounds by itself is already an accomplishment.
  • roguestates
    Options
    make yourself a 37-lb backpack. fill it with bricks, bags of flour, whatever.

put the backpack on your back and walk around for a few minutes. that's what your body had to do for a long time!

put the backpack down and walk around. now how does that feel?

don't devalue your progress. take pride in what you've been able to do. your knees are better off for it.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Should I be celbrating that I have lost only 33 lbs, when you have lost 37?
    yes I should. and you should be very proud of your loss!
    you are doing a great job here, keep it up!

you don't celebrate weighting over 300. you celebrate your loss!
  • deales
    Options
    Hi - I have lost 15lbs since starting in July and although I still weigh 18st 7lbs which is HUGE, I have started to feel a bit sexier, a bit flirtatious and things with hubby seem to be getting better (if you know what I mean) so I am with you! Celebrate the loss; it is such a brilliant achievement and no matter what your end weight is, just celebrate how you're feeling and what difference just a few lbs make...imagine how you'll feel when you get to, or near to, your goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll be fabulous xxxxx
  • spooney36
    spooney36 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Of course you can celebrate losing 37pounds at that is bloody amazing....I would if it was me be dancing around my garden wobbling my bits around for all to see and shouting at the top of my voice how brilliantly I have done. (Now everyone is going to wait for the day I lose 37lbs and ask me to put up a video of me doing this lol!)

Never feel bad about celebrating no matter what you weigh now. A 1lb loss is a loss and worth celebrating and so is 100lbs. It doesnt matter how much or what you weigh now, just do it and celebrate to you are all celebrated out!
  • withsauce
    Options
    Think of it this way: The heavier you start, the more you have to celebrate! For example, I weigh 328 and have 129 pounds to lose. That's 129 reasons to do something that makes me feel good and make "losing" fun! You already have 37 celebrations that are fully earned and deserved. You won 37 times so far! Congrats!

Now, I don't want you to get carried away with these kooky "celebrations", no matter how much fun they are, because if your weight gets too low, say... to zero, then you might not be alive to enjoy it. (Unless, of course, you are celebrating in zero gravity.)
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi, here's another smack! At 37 down you are already noticing significant changes. And (to me most important of all) you have changed your eating habits. You know how and what to eat, you are no longer in the grip of old habits and mindless eating. IMO *that* is the breakthrough. Now you have the work, but also the joy of achievement, as you continue on.

Lots of great comments here- come back and read then anytime you feel blue!
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling very strange and down today.

I'm still losing a couple pounds every week, my measurements have come down, and I can wear smaller clothes now. I was riding a high of posting some comparison pictures and talking about it in my blog. I felt awesome.

Suddenly, today, I woke up with this feeling of, "Are you seriously bragging about weighing 319 pounds?" and crashed down.

Don't get me wrong. I'm extremely proud of my loss. The amount I've lost is definitely something to celebrate. It's the *weight* I'm celebrating that bothers me. I realize 319 is better than 356, but it's still over 300 pounds, it's still "morbidly obese", and it's still a competely undesirable weight for 99% of the population.

So now I feel kind of stupid, dancing around and proclaiming to the world that I'm 319 pounds.

Does anyone else feel this way sometimes? If I saw a friend celebrating a weight loss, I'd feel happy for them *regardless* of what they weigh (a loss is a loss), but now I'm feeling sort of self-conscious about celebrating since I'm still so heavy.

Someone smack some sense into me. Please. :)

SMACK !!!! for you. Hell yeah you should be proud. Damn you have done so well. You are right a loss is a loss. You should be celebrating. Well done to you and here is a big pat on the back and a big congratulations.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    ::smack smack:: We need to celebrate EVERY piece of good news, every pound loss, every step in the right direction. EVERY ONE! We are here to celebrate with you. Don't feel stupid. FEEL PROUD!
  • morah29
    morah29 Posts: 107
    Options
    you have been doing great... don't let it get you down... keep moving forward and before you know it you will be under 300! you have come a long way.. be proud... and if you need another friend please add me
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You and I are at similar stats. Let me tell you.....YES...you celebrate and be PROUD of every pound. Every pound represents a 3500 calorie deficit of work that YOU did. 36 pounds is a 126,000 deficit of work.

Even though I may have more than 100 lbs to lose, a person who has 20 to lose, has the same thing to face. Actually, maybe even worse, because sometimes you and I can be celebrating 2-3 lb loses every week and it takes them a month to get the scale to move 1/2 a lb. It's all relative.

ANYONE, who is taking steps to a healthier life needs to CELEBRATE every success.

You keep ROCKIN' this girl!