Are some people just physically not cut out for running?

Options
12346»

Replies

• AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm not!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,325 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that is me. I have never exercised a day in my life, and I decided that needs to change. I signed up for a 5K this coming November and started the C25K program in July. I CANNOT get past week three. I've been trying for nearly 4 weeks now and I am making ZERO progress. I'm seriously starting to think that perhaps my body is just not physically able to be a "runner" (or even a jogger...)

Extremely discouraged and about 2 seconds away from giving up. I have read that people sometimes repeat a day or even a week on C25K...but I've never seen anyone post about it taking WEEKS just to get past a workout.

A little about me: I'm 32, female, not even slightly overweight...in fact, I'm probably under my BMI for my height (5'5", 105lbs). I don't drink alcohol or smoke, I am not a super healthy eater, but I don't eat a ton of sweets or junk food. I definitely don't drink enough water, but I also don't drink cokes or coffee, etc. When I do drink, it's always water or milk. I started to focus on hydrating more, but got so tired of having to pee every hour that I cut back. :-/

Any thoughts??

Sometimes I wonder the same thing about myself! :) I haven't read the entire thread, but someone has no doubt already covered this...but it bears repeating. Be patient. Your body needs time to adapt and get stronger. You can help this along if you have access to any weights or such equipment...or videos. (I highly recommend most any Jillian Michaels DVDs. They are relatively inexpensive and several are only $9.99 USD at WalMart or Target etc...my personal faves are 30 Day Shred and Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism.)

Also another GREAT resource of info is WWW.RUNNERSWORLD.COM. They have a fantastic Beginning Runner's section. Check it out! :)

Anyway, good luck and keep at it. It's totally worth it! There's nothing like running once you catch the bug! :bigsmile:

DR
  • alliesun98
    Options
    Thanks again for all the replies. I do think that part of my problem is not having enough muscle mass...being thin, I've never had much. I'm wondering if I should shift my focus to strength training for awhile before I continue my 5k training?

Although, that worries me a bit because I am not a member of a gym and do not have access to any sort of equipment, so I feel that when left to my own devices, my "strength training" will probably not be very effective.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner. I fell about 18 months ago damaging my cartilage in my right knee. I could not walk without crutches and agony. I was on crutches for over a year. I had some physio, and started walking a few steps more each day. I saw a girl running with Kangoo Jumps on, and wondered if they would help me walking. I ordered a pair.

I now run 5+ miles in 30 minutes... 5 days a week wearing my KJs. They remove 60%+ of the impact and compression on your joints.

389002_416862621686406_1473200148_n.jpg

If you want more information on them, message me
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    you are human, you were born to run.

That reminds me, I need to read that book "Born to Run" I've heard it's an amazing read.

I am about 75% of the way through it. It is awesome, it's not just the story of the Tarahumara, but a whole history and science behind running and how we evolved to be runners. Well worth it.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Running does not agree with my knees and low back. Instead I use an elliptical cross trainer or walk on an inclined treadmill (6-8 percent elevation)in the gym and when I want to get out for fresh air I'll take a long brisk walk (6-10 miles) with a weighted back pack over hilly terrain or ride a bike with my teenage son
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yes. Running can be very hard on joints. I cannot run or do many other heavy impact exercises. You might want to talk to a doctor if you are having a very hard time of it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you are human, you were born to run.

I am distracted by boobie friday.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It took me MONTHS to get past WEEK ONE! And then weeks to get past each consecutive week after that.

Don't be discouraged! You're out there. You're running! Who cares what week you're on!!!! Just keep moving.

:)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner. I fell about 18 months ago damaging my cartilage in my right knee. I could not walk without crutches and agony. I was on crutches for over a year. I had some physio, and started walking a few steps more each day. I saw a girl running with Kangoo Jumps on, and wondered if they would help me walking. I ordered a pair.

I now run 5+ miles in 30 minutes... 5 days a week wearing my KJs. They remove 60%+ of the impact and compression on your joints.

389002_416862621686406_1473200148_n.jpg

If you want more information on them, message me

... Those look like an accident waiting to happen!
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fit person. Didn't walk until I was age 3. Was always physically behind people my age. Survived PE class only because I had a good attitude.
    Did kickboxing for a few months until hip gave out.

So I am now in week 4. But i am sure I look like a penguin jogging down the road. I finally had to accept it doesn't matter how fast I go. Just getting out there and moving is the important thing.

Keep repeating the weeks if you need to. Be patient with yourself....