The Ketosis Diet - Any opinions?

Options

Replies

• TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    but how do you know when your in ketosis doing a low carb diet?

You can get some strips that you use to check your urine. They are avilable in the US / Canada in pharmacies and should be in the diabetic section. Aside from that it tends to be that you have a sweet, fruity breath as your body disposes of ketones.

Read this (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets) and you get an idea of the potential risks and potential benefits of a low carb diet

Oh and if you cant be *ssed to copy and paste the link, then risks include (all below is copied and pasted from the above):

What Are the Risks Linked to High Protein, Low-Carb Diets?
    High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.

High cholesterol . It is well known that high-protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High-protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete a large amount of calcium in their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones. This is especially true if the protein is not balanced with enough good vegetables, especially green cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli.

Cancer. One of the reasons high-protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce the risk of developing cancer.

Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause the body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

Is a Low-Carb Diet Right for Me?

These theories of weight loss remain unproven, and most experts are concerned that high-protein, low-carb diets can cause a host of problems, particularly for the large segment of the population that is at risk for heart disease. What's more, the plans that don’t allow intake of fruits and vegetables are the most problematic. Again, a balanced diet of protein, carbs, and good fats is ideal. The experts say to achieve permanent weight loss you must change your lifestyle. This means following a balanced diet combined with participating in regular physical activity.

Before starting this or any diet, be sure to talk with your doctor to determine what approach is right for you.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    but how do you know when your in ketosis doing a low carb diet?

You can get some strips that you use to check your urine. They are avilable in the US / Canada in pharmacies and should be in the diabetic section. Aside from that it tends to be that you have a sweet, fruity breath as your body disposes of ketones.

Read this (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets) and you get an idea of the potential risks and potential benefits of a low carb diet

Oh and if you cant be *ssed to copy and paste the link, then risks include (all below is copied and pasted from the above):

What Are the Risks Linked to High Protein, Low-Carb Diets?
    High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.

High cholesterol . It is well known that high-protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High-protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete a large amount of calcium in their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones. This is especially true if the protein is not balanced with enough good vegetables, especially green cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli.

Cancer. One of the reasons high-protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce the risk of developing cancer.

Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause the body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

Is a Low-Carb Diet Right for Me?

These theories of weight loss remain unproven, and most experts are concerned that high-protein, low-carb diets can cause a host of problems, particularly for the large segment of the population that is at risk for heart disease. What's more, the plans that don’t allow intake of fruits and vegetables are the most problematic. Again, a balanced diet of protein, carbs, and good fats is ideal. The experts say to achieve permanent weight loss you must change your lifestyle. This means following a balanced diet combined with participating in regular physical activity.

Before starting this or any diet, be sure to talk with your doctor to determine what approach is right for you.

So much rehashed rubbish .. a well formulated ketogenic diet is not 'high protein' it is high fat.

And dietary fat is nothing to be scared of.

And don't get me started on the 'evil cholesterol' stupidity.

One day we'll get past this and move on.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Seems highly unnatural to me.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Unless you take a longer view ...
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options

Unless you take a longer view ...

You're obviously a fan of this kind of diet. I had never heard of it until my friend went on it. As I posted previously he ended up in intensive care with heart and organ failure. He nearly died. It was not "rehashed rubbish" that got him into A&E, it was the diet. The acidicity of his blood damaged his organs.

This link is from the NHS, which tends to know what its talking about: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ketosis/pages/introduction-old.aspx and it says that this "potentially serious condition", can affect your urine and may eventually cause serious damage to your liver and kidneys. I know it uses the words "can", "potentially" and "may", but it also uses the words "serious damage to your liver and kidneys".
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    OP, please just try this diet and see if it works for you. Those replying might have found out what works best for them for varying reasons. They are not you, one way of eating does not work for all. Good luck to you. :)

This. A high-fat, ketosis diet makes me miserable. I get bad breath, bo, female problems, one infection after another. These are conditions I'm never inflicted with otherwise. However, others find these diets amazing and are very successful on them.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    And dietary fat is nothing to be scared of.

Some people, like me, can't handle a high-fat diet. More than 40% fat and I start having serious consequences.

The push back from the low fat era is proving to be as annoying as the low fat era itself. High fat is not for everyone. Some of us should in fact fear eating too much of it.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    OP, please just try this diet and see if it works for you. Those replying might have found out what works best for them for varying reasons. They are not you, one way of eating does not work for all. Good luck to you. :)

This. A high-fat, ketosis diet makes me miserable. I get bad breath, bo, female problems, one infection after another. These are conditions I'm never inflicted with otherwise. However, others find these diets amazing and are very successful on them.

Bad breath is an indicator that your protein intake is too high. Decrease protein, increase fat intake.
    I have to keep fat high and carbs low. Otherwise my cholesterol, triglycerides and blood glucose all go up. It only took 8 momths of this way of eating to lower my cholesterol 30% and return my A1C and blood glucose back to normal level. I was pre-diabetic.

Low carb high protein is toxic. Of that there is no doubt. But low carb high fat is actually what endocrinologists recommend for diabetics.
    There is a lot of actual science to back this up.
  • tamicaron
    Options
    I went in a weight loss clinic a year ago and they gave me the ketosis diet plan, but it is just a jump start and a big end when it is hard to lose the last few lb.
    It consist in a 500 cal a day of protein only that means no milk, chesse an etc just meat, egg and whey protein shake. If you cheat and have even a bite of something else the "deal is off" and it won't work. You can do it from 3 to 14 days but no longer than that and no exercice at all just your normal daily activities. With this you are going to have a 10~12lb jump start.
    The thing is if you get back to your normal diet right after you finish you ate going to gain more than you lose, so now you ask me how did you keep it off?
    You add only vegetables for the next 15~30 days and it doesn't include tomatoes or potatoes or beets but only GREEN vegetables and no more then 1000 calories a day 700 protein and 300 vegetables. After you complete this stage you go to another one. You can add fruits to your diet 1 cup a day that you can divide into 2 or more servins. Your caloric intake should be around 1200. Light exercise is in courage in this 2 stages as walk or dance. Anything with moderation because it is a low caloric intake so you won't feel hungry and crave.

When your complete this you can add the healthy carbs like rice, potatoes, you may also eat cheese and drink milk with moderation and your exercice can be vigorous.

Since I was in a clinic program and seen a doctor between every stage I can guarantee it worked, but it is like I said it is hard and if you give a step out it won't work.

Coffee us allowed since it is one cup a day and no cream, tea should also be 1 or 2 cups a day.
    I hope that helped.
  • janbez
    janbez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm on a medically supervised protien sparing modified fast which is essentially the "keto" diet. I've been on it for a month, have stayed in mild ketosos, have lots of energy, am working out and sleeping well. I lost 15 pounds in 30 days. I would like to be "friends" with others who have had success with this plan.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have been in ketosis for 10 months now, lost almost 100 pounds, and have had a host of non-weight related improvements. For me, it's been a godsend.

I do gentle exercise 4-5 days a week, and have had no issues. I have more energy than ever.

Yep, this. I go in and out of ketosis. My blood sugar has stabilized at normal levels, my eczema is gone, arthritis flares only rarely now, I work out daily, IBS flares only rarely, lipid panel shows marked improvement, I no longer have heartburn and on and on and on.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm on a medically supervised protien sparing modified fast which is essentially the "keto" diet. I've been on it for a month, have stayed in mild ketosos, have lots of energy, am working out and sleeping well. I lost 15 pounds in 30 days. I would like to be "friends" with others who have had success with this plan.

That is the diet that my doctor has me on. I have adjusted it up a little to better fit me but not by much. I was on it previously and it worked great but sticking to it for the long haul was just too restrictive. This time I've been on it for 5 months. Adjusting it to allow more foods than is specifically listed by the diet has helped me tremendously. Adjusting my goals here on MFP and logging my food helps me identify what I can eat and still be on target.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Bad breath is an indicator that your protein intake is too high. Decrease protein, increase fat intake.
    I have to keep fat high and carbs low. Otherwise my cholesterol, triglycerides and blood glucose all go up. It only took 8 momths of this way of eating to lower my cholesterol 30% and return my A1C and blood glucose back to normal level. I was pre-diabetic.

Low carb high protein is toxic. Of that there is no doubt. But low carb high fat is actually what endocrinologists recommend for diabetics.
    There is a lot of actual science to back this up.

I have horrible keto breath and my protein rarely exceeds 35% of my total calories. I thought it was just excess ketones leaving the body through your breath? Anyway, I'll drink more water just to be sure!
  • Caseyann2501
    Caseyann2501 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Low carb high fat: good.
    Low carb high protein: bad. This one is toxic. A tell tale sign that your eating too much protein is *kitten* breath.

Low carb works for burning fat in people who have the same problem I have. Carb don't convert to energy, they get stored as fat. Carbs make me sluggish and sleepy. I dubbed it carb induced narcolepsy. :bigsmile:
    The best part of low carb high fat is that is not a "diet." It is a change in eating lifestyle.
    If I did a so-called "balanced diet" I would immediately stop losing weight and then gaining it back.
    I was pre-diabetic and had high cholesterol. After the first 8 months of LCHF I had my annual checkup and full blood workup.
    No longer pre-diabetic and cholesterol and triglycerides dropped 30%.
    If my carbs are too low at the end of the day I sometime add Exotic chips (Caribbean root chips). Gets the fat count up too.
    Nuts are a decent source of bound carbs too.

Re the fast first pounds, almost any "diet" will shed the first pounds quickly. I've lost the first 30 a few times over the last decade. :laugh:
    LCHF is the first time I have changed how I eat and understanding why I must sustain this change even after I get to my goal weight. I can't go back to snacking on Doritos or other processed carbs.

For what it is worth, science has found that your brain functions more efficiently on ketones than on carbs.

What is the correct fat to protein ratio to avoid *kitten* breath? I would still use MFP to watch my calories and carbs, so what percentage should i input for the fat and protein? Definitely would like to avoid the bad breath!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I eat lower carb. I don’t think I go low enough to produce the level of ketones that can be measured on a ketostick but I find lower carb a great way to help me lose weight. I find that once I eat bread / pasta / potatoes I crave more. I don’t find them satisfying and find I have to eat a lot to fill up. I now eat around 70 – 80g of carbs a day and get these from fruit and veggies. This isn’t difficult as fruits have quite high carbs, but my aim isn’t really to just eat low carb, it’s to eat healthy and cut out the foods that cause me to binge and over eat.

I use full fat versions of foods such as full fat mayo and full fat cream cheese, I eat a lot of salads and vegetables and I feel full and happy. I eat the same number of calories as I used when I ate bread and pasta but this way I don’t feel like I am constantly wanting more. For me this is a lot easier to do long term than eating higher carb / low fat where I was constantly wanting more and feeling hungry and deprived a lot.
  • DearCatherine
    DearCatherine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Ketosis diet encourages eating vegetables more than anything else!
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The only sustainable diet is one you are not on. You need to eat healthy (that requires a change in habits) and exercise. I have been on just about every known diet my whole life ( I also had a gastric bi-pass in 2006). 3 months ago I finally got wise and changed my eating habits and started to exercise. I am now 31 lbs down and at 54 years old feel like I am finally living a normal life. Please consider a change in eating habits for life, it's so much more fun to eat and live a normal existence then to constantly be looking for your next diet.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The acidicity of his blood damaged his organs.
    So there was something wrong with him other than the diet. My blood pH is controlled in the usual way and is spot on target while being in ketosis.

Very high levels of ketones combined with high blood sugar lead to ketoacidosis in diabetics, but these levels aren't seen in nutritional ketosis.

Think of all the dead epileptics that would be piling up if ketosis was fatal - http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/health-professionals/clinical-guidelines/the-ketogenic-diet-in-the-management-of-epilepsy/

The link above has "old" in it, might be a clue. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ketosis/pages/introduction-old.aspx
  • failedspinster
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. They are the best person to advise on the right way for you to lose weight, because they know your state of health and your medical history. What is safe for somebody else may not be safe for you, and vice versa.

Personally, I don't believe that there's any quick fix or reliable way to lose weight permanently except by following a healthy, balanced diet and exercising regularly. Fashionable/fad diets always seem to me to be beset by claims - "it works", "it's bad for you", "it's linked to X disease or Y condition." These diets are surrounded by so much clamour from nutritionists, scientists and people in the street, all competing to shout the loudest about it, that nobody could ever work out the truth. So whether you think ketosis, or any other fad diet, may be the answer, you need to be aware that a) a bunch of people will agree with you; b) a bunch of people will disagree with you; and c) there's no such thing as a free lunch. That's to say, there probably is a catch in it somewhere. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

That said, you asked for opinions, OP, and mine is that I'm not sure that going into ketosis (if that's what this diet will do to you) is a good thing for your body. I base this entirely on the fact that I went into ketosis during a very long labour with my son in April (I kept being sick and couldn't keep anything down). The doctors were absolutely terrified for my health, so I can't imagine a medical person would want you to voluntarily induce ketosis in yourself. As I understand it, ketosis causes the body to break down fats from the liver, which doesn't sound very good for you. Also, who wants to lose weight off their liver?

I dunno. I'd rather stick to moving around more and eating less. It just makes more sense to me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, ketosis causes the body to break down fats from the liver, which doesn't sound very good for you. Also, who wants to lose weight off their liver?
    Anyone with a brain would like to remove fat from their liver, as fatty liver disease is not a good thing be it from alcohol or eating too much.

The liver is indeed the organ that breaks down fatty acids from fat stores and creates ketones for the brain and other organs to use as fuel. That's how our bodies work. You can fast for a week without ill effect because ketones keep your brain going.

http://www.phschool.com/science/science_news/articles/ketones_to_the_rescue.html