The Ketosis Diet - Any opinions?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Debbatron
    Options
    I am a 24 year old female, 5'4 and currently 177 pounds. Two and a half months ago, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Metabolic Syndrome, and Non-Alcoholic fatty liver disease. I wasn't even 200 pounds, and my body was shutting down.

I started on a ketogenic diet (which has shown promise in treating PCOS: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1334192/) on August 5th, and have lost almost 20 pounds. I have not felt deprived, I have had plenty of energy. I honestly intend to stay on a low-carb/high-fat diet for the rest of my life.

A few things you should know:

1. Ketosis is NOT ketoacidosis - you cannot accumulate enough ketones in your body to get ketoacidosis unless you are an insulin-dependent diabetic. If your blood ketones start to get high, your body releases small amounts of insulin to halt the breakdown of fat and therefore halt anymore ketones from entering your bloodstream. You will also be excreting excess ketones in your urine.

2. The ketogenic diet is NOT low-carb/high-protein. Too much protein is what strains your kidneys and causes people to end up in the ER with failing organs on low-carb diets, NOT a lack of carbs. You get your small amount of carbs from leafy vegetables, eat enough protein to maintain your lean mass, and the rest of your calories come from natural fats.

3. Take a trip to http://www.reddit.com/r/keto, they will have all the information you could possibly want about the ketogenic diet. If you can't find what you're looking for in the FAQ and menu resources, there's a good chance that someone has asked the same thing recently :)

Above all, do your own independent research. This diet goes against a lot of "conventional wisdom" and it will help to educate yourself on biochemistry. Do not trust random people on the internet to show you truth, not even me. Gain insight from conversation, and go research.

Best of luck to you in your journey to health! :)
  • dickymint678
    dickymint678 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Seems highly unnatural to me.

Unless you take a longer view ...

You're obviously a fan of this kind of diet. I had never heard of it until my friend went on it. As I posted previously he ended up in intensive care with heart and organ failure. He nearly died. It was not "rehashed rubbish" that got him into A&E, it was the diet. The acidicity of his blood damaged his organs.

This link is from the NHS, which tends to know what its talking about: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ketosis/pages/introduction-old.aspx and it says that this "potentially serious condition", can affect your urine and may eventually cause serious damage to your liver and kidneys. I know it uses the words "can", "potentially" and "may", but it also uses the words "serious damage to your liver and kidneys".

I have checked the article you mention, it is written as part of a Diabetic site and written in the context of people who cannot produce enough insuin to control their blood sugar levels.

As a diabetic has a problem with insulin production, then, if left uncorrected, blood ketones levels (as well as glucose) can increase and ultimately lead to ketoacidosis.

Ketones are produced by the liver as an energy source for the Brain and CNS and in non-diabetic people, ketone levels are regulated in the bloodstream by the production of insulin. In a well maintained low carb diet, your body reaches an equilibrium of ketone production in just a few weeks.

Ketosis is a natural state and a normal body function -

Ketoacidosis is very different and requires urgent medical intervention.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    The ketosis diet puts the body in an acidic state. Acidic states not only take the body out of it's natural balance, they have been linked to inflammation and cancer. I would not recommend it as a long term option.

I'd need a source for this. It sounds like rumour evolved to "fact". Ketosis is the natural state of a human body. Any omnivore would normally be in ketosis, as roots, leaves and meat would be the bulk of your diet, except for the short periods that fruiting trees and berries are in season, or in the rare case of lucking across a honey tree.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I works. You will lose weight following it. Just be prepared....if you ever go back to a diet even moderately high in carbs, the weight will come back. I know this from experience. It happened to me and to my husband. If you choose very low carb, you will have to stay low carb. Forever.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I works. You will lose weight following it. Just be prepared....if you ever go back to a diet even moderately high in carbs, the weight will come back. I know this from experience. It happened to me and to my husband. If you choose very low carb, you will have to stay low carb. Forever.

No, you can up your carb intake just fine, but for pete's sake do it slowly! Your poor digestive system will thank you!

Now can you go back to pizza every other night, pasta, and poboys? I wouldn't suggest it. I'm adapting this as a lifestyle. That's not to say I won't ever have pizza again (I'd much prefer a nice beer instead), but I have learned that my body just feels better eating veggies as my main source of carbs.

It's JUST like a calorie deficit. If you used to eat 3000 calories a day and lose weight on 1200, if you bump your calories back to your old habits, you'll see those horrifying scale numbers again. Although there may be the initial water weight gain, low carb isn't magic. You still have to watch calories and not go above maintenance if you don't want to gain again.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I fully expect to have to eat low carb for the rest of my life as not eating low carb put me over 300 pounds and diabetic. I'd rather eat low carb the rest of my life than be on insulin or other diabetes drugs the rest of my life.
  • fitsin10
    Options
    how do you know when you are in ketosis? Just by weight loss? You lose weight anyway if eating low calories.
  • dickymint678
    dickymint678 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking:

Either get some Ketosticks and test your pee.
    or
    Change you eating habits and cut the carb intake down to less than 50g per day (lower if possible / practicle). Please read up on the subject, before you start, there is a lot of misinformation on the subject and more to it than just cutting carbs.

An excelent reference can be found via a google search for:

Dr Lyle McDonald - The Ketogenic Diet - A complete guide for the Dieter and Practitioner.

It's a detailed read and fully referenced.

:smile:

Good luck.
  • failedspinster
    Options
    As I understand it, ketosis causes the body to break down fats from the liver, which doesn't sound very good for you. Also, who wants to lose weight off their liver?
    Anyone with a brain would like to remove fat from their liver, as fatty liver disease is not a good thing be it from alcohol or eating too much.

The liver is indeed the organ that breaks down fatty acids from fat stores and creates ketones for the brain and other organs to use as fuel. That's how our bodies work. You can fast for a week without ill effect because ketones keep your brain going.

http://www.phschool.com/science/science_news/articles/ketones_to_the_rescue.html

Right. That point about losing weight off the liver was actually a joke, thrown in to lighten my post. And it's a bit heavy-handed to start on "anyone with a brain," which comes across as a touch heavy-handed, not to mention discourteous. I don't do internet fighting, so let's calm down and return to giving the OP our many, varied, and by necessity diverse opinions on the ketosis diet, as they asked. Mine is that it's probably pointless or dangerous if you go on it without consulting your GP, as I said. Other people, including you, will probably disagree.
  • red051683
    red051683 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This !

Exactly how I feel about ever eating crap again! Well said!

I'm in keto & don't plan to stop.... If I get bumped out due to higher intake one day of Good Carbohydrates, THEN I will inevitably go back in soon after because it wont be from bad foods.

:)