• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    nucular

:laugh:
  • Valleydachs
    Options
    A few here

1) OfTen with a loud T. Do they say HasTen or LisTen?

2) Flustrated instead of Frustrated.

3) Men's prostate NOT PROSTRATE.

4) Folks who cannot spell "Definitely"

Love this thread!
  • wyldling
    Options
    "yous"

... not a word people!
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Sherbet. It's not SherbeRt.
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    Not so much a mispronunciation, as a made up word: irregardless.

If regardless means without regard to, then irregardless must really mean WITH regard to

YESSSS. i heard a police officer say this on a tv show the other day. shame! :laugh:
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Haha, I teach KINDERGARTEN and when they say, "I axed (asked) my mom...." I look at them in horror and say, while gesturing with an axe, "You axed your mom!? Oh my goodness!"

I was just recalling a trip to Bakers Drive-Thru with my mom as a teen.
    As she drove up to order she kept repeating, "quesadilla, quesadilla... I'm going to have a quesadilla...."
    She pulls up and the woman says, "Hello. May I take your order."
    She turns to order and sees it... the word QUESADILLA... in print on the menu.
    She goes, "Oh shoot! Girls, how do you say it again!?"
    We of course were laughing our butts off and didn't answer.
    My mom goes, "Well, I know this isn't right, but I'll take a Kwah-sa-dill-ee-uh." LOL!!!!

Another one that really irks me is when my mom says salsa, she says it like this "sal (rhymes with pal) suh."
    She also says "pacifically" instead of specifically. And "neck-uh-liss" instead of necklace. Geez, she's pretty weird. Hahaha. :laugh:
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Gyro- Jirow
    Oregon- Orygun
    Washington-warshingon

"Orygun" is still WAY better than Ore-a-gone! Of course, "or-a-gun" is proper.

Nucular is pretty bad.

But my all-time most annoying pronounciation has got to be "EYE - talian". We're not from "EYE-taly" you fool!!!
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    "yous"

... not a word people!

How about "your guyses"?! Maybe just say "your"?!
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I have another few.

MINES - as in - That book is mines.

Da or Duh - it's THE people! I have had students' parents write notes to me or to the school attendance clerk to excuse their child's absence and use da instead of the. REALLY? I mean it's a KINDERGARTEN SIGHT WORD so I know you're child knows it... tsk, tsk.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    "yous"

... not a word people!

never move to brooklyn. it drives me nuts.
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You all think those are bad. I used to do medical transcription from home and you would not believe what supposedly college-educated people would say. Oh and speaking of which, supposably is a real nail grater!! And coo pons instead of kew pons. Meant to say most doctors I would transcribe for would say son tuh meter rather than sin tuh meter. Took a while to figure that one out.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    And coo pons instead of kew pons. Meant to say most doctors I would transcribe for would say son tuh meter rather than sin tuh meter. Took a while to figure that one out.

Coo pons is the British pronunciation - kew pons always sounds funny to me! :-)

I say 'sen ti meter' (if the word you mean is 'centimetre') - I've never heard it with 'sin' or 'son', but 'son' is from the French, like how some people say 'on-vuh-lope' for 'envelope'.

I tend to be amused rather than annoyed by pronunciation variants! There's a lot of variation in the UK as to how words are pronounced.
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    wooter instead of water. Its an "a" people! :huh:

YES! i knew we had to live close by! My 3 year old 2nd cousin said "wooter" the other day and i just stared at her in horror and disbelief that she learned to say it that way... :noway:
  • opuntia
    Options
    ackshully vs Actually ( I type the former online a lot because it does irk me) go figure

which is another.......

figger vs figure

Hehe - I don't know anyone who actually pronounces 'actually' as 'ack-tyoo-ully', which would, strictly speaking, be the way to pronounce it - although I pronounce it that way for fun sometimes, when I'm being jokily pedantic about something! People generally assimilate a consonant or two where there is a consonant cluster.

Everyone in the UK says 'figger' though - that's how 'figure' is pronounced here. Just like we pronounce 'picture' as 'pick-cher' (or 'pitcher' in fast speech).
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Pitcher for Picture. Drives me insane.

Need to master that one too :laugh:
  • opuntia
    Options
    wooter instead of water. Its an "a" people! :huh:

YES! i knew we had to live close by! My 3 year old 2nd cousin said "wooter" the other day and i just stared at her in horror and disbelief that she learned to say it that way... :noway:

I had to learn to say 'wodder' when I was in Canada - no one understood my English accent when I said 'water'!
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    "Chedule" instead for schedule. I found it hilarious. LOL I know I have a couple, my first language is Spanish, so sometimes I mistakenly pronounce words when I'm speaking English. LOL

This is one word i'm never sure of, nobody pronounces it the same way and I can get away with chedule because i'm a canadian french speaker ;)

After reading all the pages, I realize i'm not that bad, most words I pronounce well, some I just can't without having my english speaking bf laughing at my quirks :laugh:
  • opuntia
    Options
    "Chedule" instead for schedule. I found it hilarious. LOL I know I have a couple, my first language is Spanish, so sometimes I mistakenly pronounce words when I'm speaking English. LOL

This is one word i'm never sure of, nobody pronounces it the same way and I can get away with chedule because i'm a canadian french speaker ;)

It's 'sked-jule' in North America, and 'shed-yool' in the UK. :-) I hardly ever used the word in the UK, but I lived in Canada for a while and everyone used it, so when I returned to the UK, I was saying it as 'sked-yool' (a kind of mix between the two!).
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I remember that episode of Friends with the, "supposably" I had no idea that supposedly referred to supposedly!

I'd never heard that one mixed up before... so I watched that episode bemused!

My brother in law says renember.

My mother in law says ratatatouille instead of ratatouille.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!
    I have never heard any American say sub-leem. All the people on this side of the pond say sub-LIME when they do say it.
    word.

I've never heard subleem.