Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

And OH MY GOD, pecan. It's "puh-cawn." Not "pee-can." A pee can is what you squat over in the woods when you go camping...

I have never ever heard 'puh-cawn' before! Is it an American thing?? cause I'm faaaaairly sure everyone in australia says 'pee-can' :p very interesting :)

We say pee -can in UK as well so maybe it is US thing?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    OMG, I HATE when people say comfort-a-ble. I don't know, maybe I'M the one saying it wrong. I say "comfturble."
    It also drives me batty when people say "car-a-mel." It's "carmel," darnit!!

(And yes, I know I spelled those words wrong, for all you grammar Nazis.)
    Pretty sure it's car-a-mel :P
  • laracolette
    laracolette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree, it really annoys me when people say 'carmel', its definitely carAmel! :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When valley girls say something is "perfick" instead of perfect.

Impordant or imporant instead of important

Rilly instead of really

What do you call your mother's sister? I know it's a regional thing, but I live in California and everyone says "ant," so it makes me crazy when I hear someone say "auhnt," it just sounds ridiculously pretentious.
  • rhondawparker
    rhondawparker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It REALLY bothers me when people mis-use "myself".

They say ".. you may send the report to Ann and myself..." (these folks usually have a college degree!)

It's "...Ann and ME..." duh!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

They say ".. you may send the report to Ann and myself..." (these folks usually have a college degree!)

Actually, it's "...Ann and I..."
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had a boss that would say irregardless all the time as well as redic-ah-lus. funny huh?

my favorite misuse is nauseous v. nauseated

Ooh, high level grammar. Very few people recognize the chronic misuse of nauseous. Fist bump to you.
    Whenever people say they are nauseous, I always think "Oh, you're not that bad."

LOVE IT!!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Aks, nothing drives me more bonkers.

an axe is what I'm swinging in the picture...

Ditto!
  • LaylaJo
    LaylaJo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    "Chedule" instead for schedule. I found it hilarious. LOL I know I have a couple, my first language is Spanish, so sometimes I mistakenly pronounce words when I'm speaking English. LOL
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

No, it's really "Ann and me". The rule of thumb for figuring out which pronoun to use is take away the other person--in this case, "Ann". Which is correct, "you may send the report to I" or you may send the report to ME"? So it's pretty clear "Ann and me" is the correct one in this case.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    im living in a city where SOOO many people say:

WODDNT --- ( wouldnt )
    DODDNT ---( doesnt )
    WARSH - (wash )
    FLYRS - ( Flowers )
    AXE - (Ask)

and one that really makes me Nutterbonks _______ " TAHM".......(Time)
  • jrumpakis
    jrumpakis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SAMWICH

It's sandwich
  • Caseysface
    Caseysface Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When people say EYE-taly, or EYE-talian instead of Italy or Italian. Or when people say Missurah, instead of Missouri. Or when people misuse, seen and saw. Or when people say Illinoisssss. I could keep going I do live in Missouri!
  • Silver_Star
    Options
    oooh and a few more ...

Runneen
    Walkeen
    Singeen
    Comeen
    Timeen...

seriously...why drop all the 'g's in words?
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    When valley girls say something is "perfick" instead of perfect.

Impordant or imporant instead of important

Rilly instead of really

What do you call your mother's sister? I know it's a regional thing, but I live in California and everyone says "ant," so it makes me crazy when I hear someone say "auhnt," it just sounds ridiculously pretentious.

I'm in Indiana and I hear it pronounced both ways, but mostly "ant". People I know from the Northeast always say "ahnt". I pronounce it both ways now, usually depending on who I'm talking to! Oxford references either pronunciation as correct… it's a regional dialect thing. Sort of like when Americans say "Saint LouIS" whereas the French pronunciation would be "San LouEE".
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    nucular

this. nuclear, people. only one "u"!
  • Silver_Star
    Options
    OMG, I HATE when people say comfort-a-ble. I don't know, maybe I'M the one saying it wrong. I say "comfturble."
    It also drives me batty when people say "car-a-mel." It's "carmel," darnit!!

(And yes, I know I spelled those words wrong, for all you grammar Nazis.)
    Pretty sure it's car-a-mel :P

it IS CA-RA-MEL!!!! im always surprised when people think its CARMEL...err.. thats a place and if im not mistaken also the name of a MOUNTAIN. LOL!!!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

No, it's really "Ann and me". The rule of thumb for figuring out which pronoun to use is take away the other person--in this case, "Ann". Which is correct, "you may send the report to I" or you may send the report to ME"? So it's pretty clear "Ann and me" is the correct one in this case.

Yup. It's "Ann and me." One of MY annoyances is when people say "Ann and I" when they should be saying "Ann and me." It's not a difficult concept.
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's the misspelling of pronunciation that drives me nuts:)

This! :)
  • krisc15
    krisc15 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had a professor who always said "scent-ah-meh-ter" instead of centimeter. So terribly annoying!!