Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Admittedly I hadn't read through all these yet, but had to jump in with my pet peeve of sale vs sell.
    e.g. "I'm going to sale this online" or "There are a lot of holiday sells this week"

yup, drives me nuts, especially as i've been seeing this used by businesses now!

The funniest mispronunciation happened to me a few weeks ago sitting in a doctor's office, and overheard bits of chatting between two others about 'going to golf' - it wasn't until they started talking about the oil spill like, 15 mins later, did i realize the whole conversation was about the 'gulf', lol
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Worcester (as in Massachusetts) pronounced WHOO-stir

How ARE you supposed to say that? I've never been able to figure it out.

Depends, if Worcester [England] then as wooster, but I have heard some Americans pronounce it Woosester, then compound it but saying woostestershyre [ is pronounced woostershear in UK English]

But Dianne Warwick is still Warik over here, pronounced as per the town & county

So how about Worcestershire sauce? When I was a kid I thought it was "War-chest-er-shyre" but that's not right. Now I just grab the bottle and try not to pronounce it. :laugh:

Lol! I know! I have a bottle that has been in the fridge for several years. It's like I'm afraid that if I get it out to use it, I'll have to say it!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Some of these I am totally guilty of.

I sometimes pronounce words incorrectly on purpose because I like how silly they sound.

This! Sezackly! I also spell them oddly sometimes, too. Sometimes I deliberately am redundant such as ending with too when I already started with also!:laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • preacheraflame
    Options
    Incregible instead of incredible.
    toof instead of tooth.
    sketti instead of spaghetti
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Some of these I am totally guilty of.

I sometimes pronounce words incorrectly on purpose because I like how silly they sound.

This! Sezackly! I also spell them oddly sometimes, too. Sometimes I deliberately am redundant such as ending with too when I already started with also!:laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:

You, my dear, are a rebel! And you crack me up!!
  • JayPeeGee
    Options
    i have a friend that says ''MINUS WELL!'' instead of might as well.. its funny.. and my wife is french so she spells AM instead of I'm.
  • PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A woman I worked with always said: Ty-nol (Tylenol) and Albaquerque Tuna (Albacore tuna)
    Cousins say: Melk and Poke Chop.
    Lots of others that I hate but Axe for ask drives me crazy...especially in songs. HeigTH for height UGH!
    Nucular especially when said by a President.
    Hanbanade (Hand Grenade)
    Flingshot (Slingshot)
    My grandmother used to say: Termastak (thermostat), See-saym (sesame) K-Mark, Wal-Mark
    Neighbor used to say: Creeky corn (concrete) ammonia (pneumonia) Woggely (wobbly)
    Patients say: Blood clog (clot) Had**** (headache) Acid reflex (reflux) Dylawda (Dilaudid)
    Others have been said already like: supposably, expresso, exspecially....the list goes on and on. lol
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Reletor instead of realtor, ARGH!!!!
  • dizneedana
    dizneedana Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say expecially for especially
  • JayPeeGee
    Options
    personally i use these alot... PROLLY(probebly). FINSTA GANNA(going to).. LEMME (let me)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    wash as warsh
    especially as expecially
    espresso as expresso
    both as bolth
    enchilada as anchilada
    treadmill as treadmeal

I could probably continue that list for a while, especially if I just sit and listen to my husband talk. He's guilty of at least four of those on a regular basis and it drives me CRAZY!
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Remembered another one, I was getting a bridesmaid dress fitted and overheard a bride telling her mom that the groom would be wearing a "cumbersome" LOL.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    When people say "milk" like it has an "e." Like "melk."

"Ruff" instead of roof.

"Rum" instead of room.

People who say "supposably" when they mean supposedly.

And OH MY GOD, pecan. It's "puh-cawn." Not "pee-can." A pee can is what you squat over in the woods when you go camping...
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Mump ... Opps I meant Bump. :[)
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

I have never, ever heard anyone, American or otherwise say "sub-leem".

I've never, ever heard this either. I also like snark from Brits about "English vs. American." I tried watching some show on the BBC a few years ago and legitimately had to turn on subtitles. They mangle their own language far more than we ever could, I think. "Innit" is not a word...
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When doing some laundry, my wife says I always say "warsh" for wash.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Nucular
  • tlo23
    tlo23 Posts: 68
    Options
    My mom says "yersterday" instead of yesterday - UGH!!! lol
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had a boss that would say irregardless all the time as well as redic-ah-lus. funny huh?

my favorite misuse is nauseous v. nauseated
  • martyguy74
    martyguy74 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My husband says "bafroom" instead of bathroom. This drives me crazy!