Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I noticed this when I moved to VA: "ve-hick-le" for vehicle and alot of the other ones already mentioned.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Aks, nothing drives me more bonkers.

an axe is what I'm swinging in the picture...

AMEN!!!!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's the misspelling of pronunciation that drives me nuts:)

This^^

A pet peeve of mine.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    "Strategery" for strategy. This came out of a college student's mouth. :noway:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Looking at all of these posts is driving me nuts lol Learn how to speak English people!!!!!!!!!!
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's annoying when people say "HO-tel" instead of hotel. you know what i mean? accent on the HO.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bury - pronounced as berry
    Cherry - pronounced to rhyme with the way bury should be pronounced
    Berry - pronounced the way bury should be pronounced
    Iron - pronounced like urn
    You ain't - pronounced like yaint, rhyming with paint
    You'uns - do I need to explain why I hate that one
    Tourists - pronounced like terrorist without the 'o', thus coming out like terrist (This scared me the first time I heard it. I thought that the fellow was telling me there was a terrorist threat in town.)
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Shtrimp or shcrimp instead of shrimp
    scrawberry instead of strawberry
    wallamelon instead of watermelon
    A guy on the train (you know...one of those folks who knows EVERYTHING) said 'confectionary oven" one day instead of "convection oven".

I also hate when plurals and posessives aren't used.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,615 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of saying "Acrosst" instead of Across. It drives someone I know bonkers! :laugh:

THIS!!!!!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Aks
    Libary
    Ambalamps
    Hair-us-mint (even though i've heard it's technically correct? Everyone I know says ha-rass-ment)
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My mom pronounces "California" as "Cali-PHONE-ya", without the R. She claims that's how the people there pronounce it. Please, CalifoRnians: tell me now if this is right, and I will try to get used to it, if so. If not, I'd love to be able to say, once and for all, that Californians pronounce it with the R.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say HEIGTH. height is not like width with a th at the end. It's like weight with a hard t. It's a pet peeve. Also when people say they could care less. The saying goes I COULDN'T care less. But thats not a mispronunciation, just incorrect usage.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    A couple more:

Proximate - for approximate
    Wid - for with

When I was in college, I took a linguistic course. One of the things that was on every test was to put words in phonetics. My father was Scottish, my mother French, which left me with a very weird accent, so I did poorly on that section. I asked the teacher what I did wrong and he went over the words with me. It was because of my accent that I got them wrong. (A - boot for about, okay.) He said that I was American so I should know the proper way of pronouncing the words. I argued that there are regional variations, but he denied this. (To make matters worse, I was going to the Univ. of Minnesota, but I was raised in Pennsylvania, two places with regional variations.) So on the second test, when I got to that section, I went up to him and asked him how HE pronounced the word. After that, I got them all right on every test. :laugh:
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The only thing that drives me nuts is when people make assumptions about others by the way they talk. Because, you know, if you don't pronounce things the way I do you must be saying it wrong, like there's a "correct" pronunciation for everything.
    When I was in college, I took a linguistic course. One of the things that was on every test was to put words in phonetics. My father was Scottish, my mother French, which left me with a very weird accent, so I did poorly on that section. I asked the teacher what I did wrong and he went over the words with me. It was because of my accent that I got them wrong. (A - boot for about, okay.) He said that I was American so I should know the proper way of pronouncing the words. I argued that there are regional variations, but he denied this. (To make matters worse, I was going to the Univ. of Minnesota, but I was raised in Pennsylvania, two places with regional variations.) So on the second test, when I got to that section, I went up to him and asked him how HE pronounced the word. After that, I got them all right on every test. :laugh:
    To be honest, that sounds like a horrible linguistics professor. I'm a linguistics major right now. There is a deep interest in how we pronounce words differently and why, but they would never say there is a proper way. In fact, the term for that is prescriptive linguists. Shoot, my USA Dialects class is taught by an immigrant with a heavy Greek accent XD A GOOD linguist (a descriptive linguist), in my opinion, is one that describes the differences in accent but doesn't tell people how they should say things.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Haha maybe in Oakland .....but here we definitely use the R
  • peles_fire
    Options
    ex-presso instead espresso. Drives me buggy.
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    Ohhhh- I'm in New Orleans. SOOO many words:

Pitcher (picture- HARD "C" sounds like pickture). For goodness sake, just say photo! LOL
    Zink instead of sink
    Turlet instead of toilet
    idear (idea)
    Yellar (yellow)
    earl (oil)

But yeah, picture is a biggie.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Apparently I pronounce "horror" like "*kitten*" :laugh:
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My hubby says that I say "cran" and not "crayon" but that's just how I always said it, didn't notice it was wrong. It drives him nuts.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    People that pronounce "w" double ya! It's "double you"! It's even worse when they try to tell you a website:-"double ya, double ya, double ya....

Cheeses me off!