Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• rhvandan
    Options
    One of my oldest friends used to say am-ba-lance instead of AmBUlance. She could NOT wrap her tongue around the correct word. Poor lady.. And now she's a PA.
    LOL
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Worcester (as in Massachusetts) pronounced WHOO-stir

How ARE you supposed to say that? I've never been able to figure it out.

Depends, if Worcester [England] then as wooster, but I have heard some Americans pronounce it Woosester, then compound it but saying woostestershyre [ is pronounced woostershear in UK English]

But Dianne Warwick is still Warik over here, pronounced as per the town & county

So how about Worcestershire sauce? When I was a kid I thought it was "War-chest-er-shyre" but that's not right. Now I just grab the bottle and try not to pronounce it. :laugh:
    I always said it "worse-ta-sure"
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Mirror... but people say mirrar!
    most people that mispronounce it here say MEER - annoying either way!
  • jericamom
    jericamom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Impor-dant for important. Pitcher for picture.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Pas-ghetti instead of spaghetti....seriously makes me want to hurt that person!
    this one is only OK if you are 3 yrs old.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Italian ~it's "IT" alian NOT "EYE" talian {we came from IT aly not EYE taly}:laugh:
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Mirror... but people say mirrar!
    most people that mispronounce it here say MEER - annoying either way!

For my MIL, it's Mirr-ah. UGH
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Fustrating for frustrating (I've heard this WAY too much lately)

I hate when people say, 'for all intensive purposes...' instead of 'intents and purposes.'

I saw someone on here say 'by enlarge' instead of 'by and large'

There are too many to remember.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My mom always pronounces the "L" in Spanish/Mexican words like "tortilla." Totally drives me nuts.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    As I read all the pages, I came to the conclusion.....

most of ya'll would form an angry mob with pitchforks if ya'll heard me talk. :laugh:
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I say so many of these things on purpose but still hate it when people do it because they think they are correct. LOL! My biggest peeve is when a "th" is replaced with an "f".

North=Norf
    South=Souf

Oh and I ask people who say liberry if they pick liberries from a liberry bush. :tongue:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

No, I've only ever heard it prounounced the way it's spelled sub-lime (like the fruit). Not sure where the other pronunciation came from.

Schedule prounounced as shedjewel---sounds so snobbish to me.

Someone else already mentioned this, but aks instead of ask. My niece and nephew get mad at me when I make them say it correctly. I've told them a hundred times, "You wouldn't say ksi instead of ski, Alaksa instead of Alaska, or taks instead of task, so don't say aks instead of ask."

Warsh instead of wash.

Winder instead of window.

Mix the last two, "Ima gonna warsh my winders today." *SIGH* One of the burdens of being a born and raised northerner living in the south. I hear mispronunciations all the time.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My mom always pronounces the "L" in Spanish/Mexican words like "tortilla." Totally drives me nuts.

I had a friend that I went to Mexico with every year. I would die of embarrassment when she did this^ . And once, she ordered

KWEZ A DILL YAs. :embarassed:
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    D-i-tails
    Finn-ancing
    Diabee-tus
    Earl (Oil)

Nuff said
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Has anybody else ever heard someone order a "chicken fuh-jye-tuh" instead of a fajita? Say it outloud.. it sounds super wrong every time I hear it at Taco Bell. :laugh:
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    my four year old says hangabur for hamburger. :smile:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    D-i-tails
    Finn-ancing
    Diabee-tus
    Earl (Oil)

Nuff said

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgFtL_-TYvVUXhV2_c-EQSugWVsigddrDqOQ5AGSKd-MvrvdvRDHcD9TFY
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Diabetes pronounced dia-bee-dis instead of dia-bee-tees.

Brett Michaels pronounces it this way along with others and it's just wrong.
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Italian ~it's "IT" alian NOT "EYE" talian {we came from IT aly not EYE taly}:laugh:

I bust my mom on this all the time....she likes Eye-talian dressing. I keep telling her, the country is Italy not Eyetaly.

"All intensive purposes" is "to all intents and purposes."

Diabeetus instead of diabetes.

Internets instead of internet.

Man-days instead of mayonnaise.

Shore instead of sure.

Contraption instead of contraction.

illegible instead of eligible.

My mom calls me a grammar Nazi. Yup!