Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    Chipotle. NOBODY CAN SAY THIS WORD. I used to work in a cafe where we had a chipotle themed sandwich....every single customer pronounced it "chi-pol-tay" :noway: the L is definitely AFTER the T, folks!!
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Pas-ghetti instead of spaghetti....seriously makes me want to hurt that person!
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The word Caramel. How do you pronounce it? I've heard different ways and I'm not sure who's butchering it or saying correctly.

Also, my step dad's last name. People try to pronounce it weird ways. It's Mabe. Pronounced like the word "maybe" without the "e" sound. People try to pronounce it like it is the word "maybe". It's really funny when they try to pronounce it like "Mah-bay". It makes me laugh when they would ask for Mister Mah-bay on the phone. Lol!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    NOT a pronunciation.. BUT-- now that the floodgates have been openned...

When people say something like "I will try and go to the store." -- "We are going to try and run 5 miles." -- "Our company will try and serve you better.."

shouldn't be "TRY TO"- you either TRY or you DO- you don't "Try and do"

Or when thye say they are
    "growing their cogregation" or 'grow their children into responsible adults'.. or 'grow their customer base' -- you grow plants- you raise or increase other things
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Mirror... but people say mirrar!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Worcester (as in Massachusetts) pronounced WHOO-stir

You forgot Lebanin (spelled Lebanon) and BER-lin (Berlin), both in New Hampshire.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Idear. There is no "R" in the word "idea"

Maybe they should return that R to the "LIBARY!"

AH HA HA HA
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    NOT a pronunciation.. BUT-- now that the floodgates have been openned...

When people say something like "I will try and go to the store." -- "We are going to try and run 5 miles." -- "Our company will try and serve you better.."

shouldn't be "TRY TO"- you either TRY or you DO- you don't "Try and do"

Or when thye say they are
    "growing their cogregation" or 'grow their children into responsible adults'.. or 'grow their customer base' -- you grow plants- you raise or increase other things
    Oh...you'd hate me. But, I've lived in the South long enough that "I'm fixin' to" do things. Yup...try that one on. At least I don't say "fiddin' ta." LOL!
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    WARSH! instead of wash.

and Warsher instead of washer!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I could care less instead of the correct: I COULDN'T care less.

That and my pastor always said TERlet instead of TOYLet. LOL
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Torlet for Toilet....drives me crazy!
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When people say "on tomorrow" or "on today" or "on yesterday." It's redundant. I don't hear it too often, but just about every single DJ on 97.9 The Box here in Houston says it and it makes me physically tense up. :explode:

Also, "ideal" instead of idea. "I have no ideal." The meaning is completely different.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Wooster-its a name of a town that is about 2 hours from where I live, but when i used to live in that area everyone says "wuhster" and so when I moved to Northwest Ohio from North Central, my husband says "around here the cows go 'moo' not 'wuh'" so it now drives me crazy when someone else says it like i used to. :laugh:
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My sisters hate when people say pun-kin instead of pumpkin; and skel-ing-ton instead of skeleton.
  • xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Pillow - pellow
    Milk - melk
    Wash - warsh

AHH! It's more spelling and grammar that drive me insane though.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I once worked with a woman who pronounced Envelope (paper kind) as N-vel-up.

I'm guilty of this one! :grumble:

Of course, I pronounce a lot of stuff different than most of ya'll would. Just because of the way I was raised. When in a professional setting or when talking to important people I try my darnest to be correct, but for everyday talking I don't go out of my way.

Tire always comes out as tar.
    I add "r" on a lot of words it shouldn't be. Words with natural "r"s sound weird when I say them (hour, Shower, etc.)
    Aluminum foil is known as warp-em-in foil, because I cannot seem to say aluminum.
    I say all words with the long "i" sound weird (knife, fight, dice, etc.)

My husband and his family are orgianlly from Vermont and say some things that are weird to me. Like water, they say something like wortor....

And my step mother has this weird thing instead of saying only, she says onliest. It use to drive me cray, now I just chuckle when I hear her say it.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Pee-can. It's puh-cahn.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

I've never heard an American pronounce Sublime that way, and I'm an American haha.

Drives me nuts:
    Pacific instead of Specific
    Valevictorian instead of Valedictorian
    SupposABLY instead of SupposEDLY
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The first person to use all these mispronunciations in a sentence WINS!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Wooster-its a name of a town that is about 2 hours from where I live, but when i used to live in that area everyone says "wuhster" and so when I moved to Northwest Ohio from North Central, my husband says "around here the cows go 'moo' not 'wuh'" so it now drives me crazy when someone else says it like i used to. :laugh:

You can ALWAYS tell when someone isn't from around here and pronounces Wooster like Rooster! It is odd that it sounds more like Wuss-ter, it take the double "O" sound from look or book and adds the "W" and "ster" on the end.

Clear sign that someone ain't from NE Ohio!! :-)