Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I knew someone that pronounced ambulance as am-blee-unce. was so funny.

My mom cannot say sushi, so she says shushi.

The other one that drives me nuts is think instead of thing.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pitcher for Picture. Drives me insane.
  • Jenniferlynn54
    Jenniferlynn54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Supposably for supposedly

I hate supposably!! I also hate "arnge" instead of orange
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Birfday and ax/ask
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    When people say "heigth" instead of "height" - that word ends in HT not TH. Also, "acrosst" instead of "across" - last time I checked there wasn't a "t" at the end of that word! There are tons of other mispronunciations that drive me bonkers, but those were the first two that came to mind.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Uk southeners that put an 'R' in words where there aren't any like Class and Glass and Bath

Guilty! :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    When people pronounce the word apricot as appricot.
    When my boss pronounces the word "asparagus" as "exparagus" or he pronounces the word "permission" as "premission"
    When I order a bagel in Bruegger's and ask for "butter", they will make me repeat the word over and over because they don't understand. Finally they say, "Oh, budddderrrrrrr". Once I was so annoyed by this, I said sweetly, "There are no 'd's in the word butter". (I'm British living in the USA) It's not rocket science...if I ask for butter and the options are cream cheese or butter...surely you can work out that's it's butter and NOT cream cheese on my bagel?

the budder thing cracks me up. my Aussie friend always has to do that . . . but you do know that you Brits kill the word garage, right? :)

lol...garaaaahhhhge. :)
  • Jenniferlynn54
    Jenniferlynn54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't say sammich....but I do say sangwich, on purpose...I do know the real word, I just like this one better lol:bigsmile:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Missour-ah. There's no ah at the end. It's an I
    Ideals
    WaRshington instead of Washington
    Zink for sink
    ToiRlet for toilet

People talk funny here. ;)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    warsh/warshington--> wash/washington
    aks --> ask
    murland-->maryland
    pen/pellow/melk-->pin/pillow/milk
    aboot-->about
    gym-->jim

:) ^ kidding about the last, obviously.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    anything pronounced with a boston accent
  • matroma
    Options
    ValentiMe's Day
  • justaskforbrandy
    justaskforbrandy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i say crayons like "crowns" instead of "cra-yons" or however the crap you're suppose to say it. i never knew i was mispronouncing until my mom was like "what???" hahaha oh well.
  • nmterp
    Options
    when people pronounce especially, "ex-specially" and when folks say they're going to the "liberry" There are no berries in Library!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My husband says Valentime's Day.

Some girl i knew from the south would say "why are you so MAINE" ( Why are you so mean) lol cracks me up all the time.
  • matroma
    Options
    Expresso instead of Espresso!!!! Someone else mentiond this on the thread-drives my husband and I NUTS!!!! They were even saying it on Master Chef, etc. that way!
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    it annoys me when people say 'pacific' when they mean to say 'specific'. The pacific is the name of a ocean!! and when people think ignorant means someone is ignoring you!!!!
  • krbates84
    krbates84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ambulance = Amba-lance. Drives me crazy.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Pecan is NOT pee can. thats what you kept under your bed in the winter to avoid going to the outhouse in the cold.
    Im from texas, its the state tree. if you are from tx and say pee can.....just....gtfo. really. lmao.

Not a pronunciation...but the word irregardless makes me want to punch kittens.

my fiance and i argue over oil, soil, and boil. its oy-yull soy-yull and boy-yull to him. its ohwl sawl and boll to me. We compromise. earl, dirt, and cooking water.
  • kellimr
    Options
    FUstrated instead of fRustrated. There's an R in there people!

I have a friend who does this all the time, even after I've told him he does it. He just laughs and says, 'Yah, isn't it fUstrating?'

He also calls people named Jeremy, Germ-e.

O-M-G.....totally the FUstrated thing kills me!! And I have heard it from like 6 people in the past year!! I have also heard (all from "grown adults") LiBERRY (Library) ....AMBLIANCE (Ambulance) etc...seriously ~ where did you learn to speak?