Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    salmon -- and enunciate the L

drives me crazy

Yeah, don't they know we need that L for the woof?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Coyot-E instead of Coyote (yote, like note)...Could be a regional thing though.
    It's definitely a Coyot-e here in England :p
  • angel924_2004
    Options
    Mature as ma-tour has always annoyed me.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is peculiar to the Midwest but I often hear people say "warsher" (washer). :noway:

And then there is "kewpons" (coupons).

/wrist
  • barkin43
    Options
    I would probably annoy most of you on here! :laugh:

Uh, could you be a lttle more pacific about dat??:bigsmile: :blushing: :huh:
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I know a girl who pronounces the word water' "wooder"
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Illinoise... and I am not even from that state :)

This made me laugh out loud. Very loud. Ha! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    nucular

It's nuclear
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    tree fifty- three fifty....
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is peculiar to the Midwest but I often hear people say "warsher" (washer). :noway:

And then there is "kewpons" (coupons).

/wrist

I have this bad tendency to say warsh rather than wash - I'm from the Midwest (Illinois - Ill - i - noy)

I say coo pons

I think a lot of the extra R's at the end are common in Boston.
  • Heather23NZ
    Heather23NZ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hate when Supernanny says eZactly instead of exactly...How hard is it to pronounce an X!!! Also cannot abide people saying 'pacific' instead of 'specific' but that's not really a pronunciation thing, it's just that they're dumb.

Also when people say, 'I'm really tan'...you're not, you're really 'tanned.' Laziness!

It really winds me up how she pronounces "unacceptable" like "unaseptable"
  • barkin43
    Options
    NOT a pronunciation.. BUT-- now that the floodgates have been openned...

When people say something like "I will try and go to the store." -- "We are going to try and run 5 miles." -- "Our company will try and serve you better.."

shouldn't be "TRY TO"- you either TRY or you DO- you don't "Try and do"

Or when thye say they are
    "growing their cogregation" or 'grow their children into responsible adults'.. or 'grow their customer base' -- you grow plants- you raise or increase other things
    Oh...you'd hate me. But, I've lived in the South long enough that "I'm fixin' to" do things. Yup...try that one on. At least I don't say "fiddin' ta." LOL!

Awrighty then! Ahm finna try and do bedder on awl this pronuncing stuf. All prolly try an doo bedder own mah spelin to.
  • barkin43
    Options
    Pecan is NOT pee can. thats what you kept under your bed in the winter to avoid going to the outhouse in the cold.
    Im from texas, its the state tree. if you are from tx and say pee can.....just....gtfo. really. lmao.

Not a pronunciation...but the word irregardless makes me want to punch kittens.

my fiance and i argue over oil, soil, and boil. its oy-yull soy-yull and boy-yull to him. its ohwl sawl and boll to me. We compromise. earl, dirt, and cooking water.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    People who pronounce Italian as Eyetalian. You deserve to be flicked on the nose or hit with a rolled up newspaper. show me Eyetaly on a map.
  • NuttyCake
    NuttyCake Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Inner-esting instead of interesting. It makes me want to punch that person in the face! :mad:
  • PennyLane1114
    PennyLane1114 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If something is destroyed, it is "ruined", correct? My boyfriend and the majority of his family claim that it is "roined". It's so weird to me!
    I also cannot STAND when customers ask me for the "ranch-a-dilla" wings when it's clearly spelled out on the menu in front of them... FOR THE RECORD.. It's r-a-n-c-h-i-l-a-d-a.
    Whew. Yes, I feel better now.

/rant
  • barkin43
    Options
    Inner-esting instead of interesting. It makes me want to punch that person in the face! :mad:

Hmmm! Velly inneresting!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    The mispronounced words that drive me UP THE WALL are: 'aks' and 'pacific' or 'pacifically'. I know others have posted this, but when I'm watching commentary on a TV show about a current trial and one of the attorneys are using these words, I cringe.

Also, I'm from Massachusetts, lived here almost fifty years. The way WE pronounce (the city of) Worcester is Woostuh - the 'oo' as in 'woof'. The town of Woburn isn't pronounced WAOHburn - it's WUburn. It isn't Quincy like the medical examiner played by Jack Klugman, it's QuinZy. It's just the regional accent, not really mispronunciation.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    jan_lee001 posted:
    I think a lot of the extra R's at the end are common in Boston.

They most certainly RRRRRRRRR. :bigsmile:
  • nigelicious
    Options
    I want to "arcs" you a question.

Is it about semicircles?