Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Sublime - I think the Americans (at least the voice over on a bronzing advert) say "sub-leem"

Lots of Americanisms of English words annoy me - but then I am from the UK and have had to start adapting now I live in Canada, although it's very mixed up here as to what people use - American or English!

I have never, ever heard anyone, American or otherwise say "sub-leem".
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know it's a regional accent thing but AUNT= AUNT, not ANT!!!!:love:

Hey, I call my aunt my ant! Eh!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Specific...Pacific....my stepmom does this oh gawd
  • mmtrnr
    mmtrnr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not really pronunciation, but I hate it when people say "PIN numbers" or "ATM machines." The last word is already built into the acronym. It is just redundant.

Oh, and being a high school teacher, I hear and read it all. I was grading a lab today and a student wrote about an "air" during the experiment. It took me a while to realize they meant "error." :-/
  • jwilson3787
    Options
    Idear. There is no "R" in the word "idea"

Maybe they should return that R to the "LIBARY!"

^^^ AGREE! lol
  • GoJeanne
    Options
    I am amused when people say, "point-setta" instead of poinsettia, which is such a beautiful word to ruin in that way.

"Liberry" bothers me.

People said "Irregardless" so many times when they meant irrespective that Webster's went and put it in the dictionary and now we are all stuck with the darn thing.

I loved how my children mispronounced ambulance when they were little; one said "ambunonce" and the other said "ambliance."

My father, an otherwise brilliant man, is a certified butcher of the English language. He once tried to tell me about a grim diagnosis my grandmother had received, but mistakenly used the words, "The doctor says the mammy-o-gram indicated that the cancer is in her nymph nodes." I am sure he wondered why I was laughing during such tragedy, but my mother was in the background shaking her head and mouthing the words, "I know, I know."
  • GoJeanne
    Options
    You win; it's official, as I am a CALIFORNIAN and I assure you we do use Rs. New Yawkahs call us Califonians.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Some of these I am totally guilty of.

I sometimes pronounce words incorrectly on purpose because I like how silly they sound.
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    All Pittsburghese. I hate when I hear my accent!! If I had to listen to myself I would go outta my mind.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Pacific- SPECIFIC
    Peeska (I *kitten* you not, a girl I used to know said it just like this)- Pizza (The actual word)
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    swapping f for th. fird, weafer.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    I may be the ONLY person that is bothered by this.. but I don't care =)

Coupon.
    I see- Q- PON
    NOT Coop Pon...
    O.O

But, I'm from the South.. so there is a list that irritates me =p Mostly the way northerners and Canadians pronounce everything
    :tongue:
  • genefabes
    Options
    valen-TIMES day. wtf.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Definitely "Nuclear" as "NucUlar"
    and
    "Water" pronounced 'wooder"
    I live in PA and it's sort of how people pronounce 'water", for whatever reason.
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Punkin- for pumpkin

I know a girl that says Sure-ger instead of sugar! Gah! And her sister says beg instead of bag! Drives me insane.

My grandma says TRAYsures instead of treasures. Or motor-sicle instead of motorcycle. She also says neo-spearem instead of neosporin. She's crazy lol.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone said this yet but:- An adult walking around saying Death instead of Deaf! This makes me want to kill something!! (I need to relax)
  • Flufffay
    Options
    Oh my gosh! My husband says that and I can't stand it! Where do they come up with these extra letters?
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I forgot one and you'll notice this if you watch a lot of cooking shows like I do. Many chefs pronounce mascarpone cheese as maRscapone for some reason.

Also, of course, sherbet as sherbeRt. This is super common.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Gyro- Jirow
    Oregon- Orygun
    Washington-warshingon

Wait...what? Oregon IS pronounced as Orygun!!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When the word "jewelry" is pronounced as "jewlery." Ack!!!
    There is even a radio ad for a local jeweler and the lady speaking says "jewlery."