STOP EATING AND DRINKING FAT FREE DAIRY! PLEASE READ

Options

Replies

• ohtobe140
    Options
    yes, this. I only feed my kids and myself whole milk and I get flack for it, but who cares, they're my kids and they are super fit. I wish I had their eating habits. LOL. Whole foods = whole health.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I agree that fat-free stuff is gimmicky. Skim milk is too watery for... anything useful. I love coconut milk, and full-fat cheeses.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    ALARMIST POST IS ALARMIST
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't like skim milk, so I tend to stick to 1% or 2%. I generally buy low or fat free cheese and yogurt, but that's mostly because the protein count is much higher in those. I certainly don't cut out full fat dairy though.
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Meh, I love my skim milk.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good read. Good find. Thanks for sharing.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    ALARMIST POST IS ALARMIST

exactly what I was thinking.

Whole fat cheese is a must for me. SO yummy!
    Skim milk I drink because its cheaper and low in calories, I HIGHLY doubt that it is going to make me gain weight or ruin my health
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this i was thinking of changing back to whole milk this has helped me make the decision.
  • tamicaron
    Options
    Well I guess I'm lucky I am allergic to milk since I was a baby so I just have soy and coconut products.
    They have lass calories and almost no fat in it.
    While a cup of 2% has 130 cal my organic soy milk has 90 cal a cup (240ml)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not going to stop drinking fat free dairy. For one, I hate the consistency of higher fat content in milk. I've tried almond and soy milks and while I don't mind them in hot beverages, either one of them with cereal or to drink while eating something sweet makes me gag. Really. So give me a cookie, I'm reaching for that lovely jug of skim milk in my fridge and no alarmist post (which, really, is one of many about the same subject) is going to make me stop.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    None of the points made are relevant to me.
    So no, despite your shouting, I will continue to keep drinking skimmed milk.

For a start, I prefer the taste these days.
    If I'm going to have fat, I'll have it from a source I enjoy more.

From the points in the article:
    1: Absolutely irrelevant as a reason to not drink or drink it.
    2+3: It comes out of the orifice of a live animal. I bet it's got a hell of a lot of ingredients I don't know about. Nature has as many 'nasty' things as human lab-created chemicals.
    4: Nor does water. Milk is much higher in protein and is tastier on my cereal.
    5: Lost over 50lb so far. Seems to be working. I have many times yo-yo dieted. The reasons for putting weight on have not been related to food but other issues in my life. In some cases I have already been overweight and started eating a lot more bad stuff too. It's not to do with my weight at the time, but what's going on in my life.
    6: Well, that's nice. Nor will watching Dr Who. But I still watch Dr Who because I like it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the article but I think I get the theme of the post.

Personally, I drink whole milk and eat full fat cheese. 2% milk is like 130 cals per serving while full fat is 150. For 20 extra cals I get more wholesome milk where nutrition isn't sucked out plus more vitamins etc in whole milk. Since I rarely drink more than 1 cup of milk a day, I'm ok with those 20 extra calories for the added nutrition
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste or texture of whole milk. I feel like I'm trying to swallow a huge snot ball when I drink it. So, fat free (skim) it is!

I buy everything else full fat/regular though. Just don't make me drink the milk! Ahhh!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    No one had heart attacks around the turn of the century?????? I'd like to see the stats on that one!

The secret added ingredient in skim milk is......milk? uh, ok.

The same cows that produce whole milk are producing the skim milk that the article warns us is contaminated with antibiotics, nasty bodily fluids, and GMOs. Uh, if it's in the skim milk, it's in the whole milk too.

Warning! Warning.... the vitamins in milk are fat soluble and therefore cannot be absorbed if you drink skim milk. Well... unless a person is on a zero fat diet, which I don't think has been done since Susan Powter, this is not really a problem.

If you drink skim milk, you're clearly avoiding ALL fat. THAT is why you are constantly hungry and getting fat. Really? I don't think so.

The pharmaceutical companies want you to drink skim milk so they can sell you statins, because drinking skim milk instead of whole milk causes heart disease. Obviously! :noway:

I'm all for eating full fat foods: milk, butter, ice cream, sour cream, etc. IF that is what you like. Personally, most of what I eat is the full fat version. But to suggest that skim milk (and other fat free dairy) is the enemy is simply ridiculous!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Can people stop finding junk from alarmist websites and posting it on MFP. OP could you point to some of the bad point in the article that carry any weight?
  • ElPatoLoco
    ElPatoLoco Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ... and where does semi-skimmed goats milk for the lactose intolerant fit into this conspiracy? .. or even "Lacto-free" cows milk?... I dread to think what process that goes through.. but I still drink it and happily so...

Quirky Factoid: According to David Lister, dogs milk apparently lasts longer than any other kind of milk ;)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The doctor put me on 2% milk when I was pregnant with my daughter some 25 years ago and I've never drank anything else since. Lower % is to runny and higher % is to thick. I'm fine where I am and don't see me changing any time soon.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    WTF - non-organic milk contains antibiotics regardless of whether or not it's skimmed. Just as organic milk doesn't contain them - again, whether or not it's skimmed. The 'antibiotics, nasty bodily fluids, and GMOs' argument has no relation to whether the milk is skimmed or not!
  • katejain
    Options
    Full fat eh? Good way to get diabetes!!!