Options

Replies

• Ms_Steel
    Options
    fat free dairy tastes like plastic.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I drink skim milk, eat low fat cheese, and low fat yogurt and I have lost well over 100 pounds. Tell me why what I am doing is a bad thing because I'm just not seeing it :huh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This seems to be more an indictment against conventionally produced milk, in general. Unless the author is suggesting cows grown for skim milk are somehow treated worse than cows grown for whole milk (which suggests they separate the cows?

ps: I don't drink milk. :-)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think the point about skim milk being a useless byproduct of cream production is true.

Personally, I think drinking milk of a different species is an odd practice, so full-fat, reduced fat, or skim is all the same to me.

35lqp9.jpg

Did I offend you? I'm sorry, if that's the case.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    I will stick with my 2%, it has the flavor I enjoy. I do eat real butter instead of margerine, I tend to use less and tastes better to me. but to each his/her own.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think the point about skim milk being a useless byproduct of cream production is true.

Personally, I think drinking milk of a different species is an odd practice, so full-fat, reduced fat, or skim is all the same to me.

35lqp9.jpg

Awesome!!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Hardly. Just amusing that you felt the need to chime in when you don't drink it, clearly. Carry on.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Well I love RAW milk. To lower fat content I mix it up with almond milk. There is something rich and satisfying to drinking real milk that is much more filling than the watered down low fat milk. Cheers!
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying you drink 1% and 2% how do you think they get the fat out of those?
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Hardly. Just amusing that you felt the need to chime in when you don't drink it, clearly. Carry on.

Actually, I grew up eating dairy products, and like many wannabee vegans, get tempted by it. I still think of it as an odd food, despite my cravings for it, if that makes any sense.
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    I'm with you, pittsblue99! I don't give a tinker's damn what anyone thinks about fat-free milk. I'm going to continue to purchase it! Whole milk is much too sweet for my taste and just looking at how thick it is makes me a little bit queasy. To those that don't want it: leave it b/c that means more for me! :) BTW, went from 358 down to 200 lbs on this stuff (and various other fat-free foods). While I certainly acknowledge that portion size has more than anything else to do with weight loss/control, every lil bit of bad stuff that you can cut out of that portion size helps, too.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options

3. As stated by others - the same cows produce both whole milk and milk that is subsequently skimmed. If there are antibiotics and 'nasty bodily fluids' in skimmed milk it will also be present in the whole milk. In fact I would surmise that the process of skimming the milk is likely to reduce the amount of 'extras' in the milk.

4. Milk skim or otherwise provided plenty of nutritional value. Reference is made to vitamins D, E, A and K in the article. In fact whole milk contains only very small amounts of these and is fairly indistinguishable from skim milk in this context. Skim Milk however actually contains more calcium than whole milk.

This very eloquently sums up my attitude toward the whole milk vs. skim milk debate. I have no dog in the fight, as I mostly consume nut milk, but I do think people should make well-informed food choices.

Also, there's always going to be some study saying that one thing is healthy while another is not, and ten minutes later, another saying the reverse. I think people should eat what makes them happy in moderation and ignore these things.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I do wish people wouldn't post so much unsubstantiated rubbish. Some people will read this sort of thing and take it on board. My advice would be if there are no real studies referenced take it with a pinch of salt (or not cos we all know salt is bad for you!)

:heart:

It's amazing the number of people on here thanking the OP for such great info. and planning on immediately switching their family to whole milk based on this thread. If I made changes based on everything I saw or heard on the internet, my head would be spinning. I'd never make it to the checkstand from going back and forth picking up and dropping off items...:laugh:
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying you drink 1% and 2% how do you think they get the fat out of those?

Skimming it off the top after it settles. Is that weird to you?
  • lara1331
    Options
    That article is very badly written, which makes me doubt a lot of its content...
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's true you need the fat to absorb vitamin D, but most of the time we eat stuff with fatt in it along with the milk. The thing you're not realizing is that all milk has had the fat removed. It has just been added back for the different percent milk/whole milk.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Skimming it off the top after it settles. Is that weird to you?

No, I'm weird but that is not weird to me - did you read the ariticle. Wonder why they call it 'skim' milk if they use chemicals which turn into nitrates?
  • daddysgrl
    daddysgrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Someone could post a link saying the sky is blue ans ppl will debate it. Lol! Y'all crack me up! Have a nice day
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. Sometimes skim milk is better for certain recipes or products. I use fat free yogurt because I'm getting plenty of fat else where, and I want the protein and probiotics in yogurt.

The issue isn't that skim milk is bad for you, the issue is that people use it exclusively thinking that it will help keep them thin and healthy. I prefer the flavor of 2% milk, so that is what I buy.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I got a better idea... stop drinking milk... if you've ever had farm fresh milk, you'll know why... These store bought milk are pumped full of stuff to make them last longer etc...

Are you seriously that addicted to chemicals that you cannot stop drinking them?