STOP EATING AND DRINKING FAT FREE DAIRY! PLEASE READ

Options

Replies

• jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yes, this. I only feed my kids and myself whole milk and I get flack for it, but who cares, they're my kids and they are super fit. I wish I had their eating habits. LOL. Whole foods = whole health.

Whole milk is far worse than skim.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have to drink milk which I personally find gross but I try and include it because it is the easiest way to get
    calcium and Vit B12; otherwise my health suffers. My cholesterol would suffer even more if I drank or ate the
    full fat version of everything. So balance and moderation in everything is the key I believe.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    yes, this. I only feed my kids and myself whole milk and I get flack for it, but who cares, they're my kids and they are super fit. I wish I had their eating habits. LOL. Whole foods = whole health.

How is it 'worse'? Neither is bad.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Cats have problems digesting cows milk, just so you guys know.
    Correct. Many cats are lactose intolerant. That's why my house is filled with Lactaid and sharp cheeses. Both easily digestible by cats.
  • xuntitledx
    Options
    platypus. Winner.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

By what definition of "worse"? What parameters EXACTLY are you using for that qualification?
    I guess if more fat= worse, then you would be right. But those aren't my parameters.

You must be using the delicious=bad scale. In that case, whole milk is definitely worse.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    As for the content of the article....

1. is hilarious. Isn't it a good thing sustainability wise for us to be using the milk left over after the cream is whisked off? There's no reason that it ever had to have been a "waste product" and the fact that perhaps it was once thrown away doesn't mean it's because it's actually WASTE but because there wasn't a market niche for it, and now there is, which is great because less waste is always a good thing.

3. is true of all conventional milk. The easy way around this is to buy organic milk, at whichever fat percentage you prefer.

4. It may not have the same complex nutritional profile that full fat raw milk has, but to say it has "almost no nutritional value" is absurd. It has calories, protein, carbs, and a variety of vitamins and minerals, all of which are nutrients. And all this about not being able to absorb the fat soluble minerals assumes you aren't getting fat in your diet from other sources. What if I have a slice of toast with butter and a glass of skim milk? I'm getting the fat in the form of butter, so problem solved.

All the stuff about factory farms is again solved by choosing organic milk of whatever fat percentage you prefer.

5. Nothing will make or keep you skinny if you consume too many calories worth of it. It won't make you fat either though to have ANYTHING within proper limits. No food makes you skinny. How much food you choose to have of any type is going to determine that.

6. NO ONE HAD HEART DISEASE. That's an interesting claim and I'd like to see the evidence for it. Otherwise, sure, the fear about saturated fat is a little overblown. We need saturated fat in our diets, but the issue is that with contemporary food production practices it's too easy to get too much of it in our diets. It's all about portions.

I am totally down with full fat milk. This article is a joke though, and just about the whole thing can be refuted with the slightest effort.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :noway: More useless advice...This site is full of it.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    None of the points made are relevant to me.
    So no, despite your shouting, I will continue to keep drinking skimmed milk.

For a start, I prefer the taste these days.
    If I'm going to have fat, I'll have it from a source I enjoy more.

From the points in the article:
    1: Absolutely irrelevant as a reason to not drink or drink it.
    2+3: It comes out of the orifice of a live animal. I bet it's got a hell of a lot of ingredients I don't know about. Nature has as many 'nasty' things as human lab-created chemicals.
    4: Nor does water. Milk is much higher in protein and is tastier on my cereal.
    5: Lost over 50lb so far. Seems to be working. I have many times yo-yo dieted. The reasons for putting weight on have not been related to food but other issues in my life. In some cases I have already been overweight and started eating a lot more bad stuff too. It's not to do with my weight at the time, but what's going on in my life.
    6: Well, that's nice. Nor will watching Dr Who. But I still watch Dr Who because I like it.

two thumbs up :drinker:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Fat does NOT make you fat. Sugar (carbs) make you fat.
    Yeah... I'm gonna have to call BS. Too much of any food---fat, sugar, carbs, apples, dog food if that's what you like----makes you fat.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think the point about skim milk being a useless byproduct of cream production is true.

Personally, I think drinking milk of a different species is an odd practice, so full-fat, reduced fat, or skim is all the same to me.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    No one had heart attacks around the turn of the century?????? I'd like to see the stats on that one!

This is the first thing in the post that stood out as ludicrous to me. Documentation of cause of death, autopsies, doing lab work to test for heart disease BEFORE death... those things really didn't happen at the turn of the century.

The other thing that I read more than once that I took issue with is the idea that saturated fat, full-fat foods, etc aren't bad for you, and aren't contributing to heart disease. Explain to me, OP, why it is that lowering your saturated fat and cholesterol intake can literally save your life by lowering your bad cholesterol? I'm 28 and have had a heart attack, I'd love to know your logic for why I /shouldn't/ listen to my doctor, my nutritionist, science, and common sense.
  • wvval
    wvval Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    great post:)
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I think the point about skim milk being a useless byproduct of cream production is true.

Personally, I think drinking milk of a different species is an odd practice, so full-fat, reduced fat, or skim is all the same to me.

35lqp9.jpg
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    256671_f214733ea6a9581593a480d8f8ef2995_large.jpg
    Yes, those are tiger cubs. Drinking pig's milk.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Here is what I got out of the link:

Go buy a cow and let it roam and eat grass and get up and milk it daily.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    All our kids drink 2%. It's not much higher in calories but the fat will help them to feel fuller longer is how I see it. Fat free cheese isn't really cheese now, is it? Lower-fat cheese like Mozarella are fine as long as it's not lower fat because the fat has been replaced with corn starch or something equally stupid.
  • madmish00
    Options
    I work on the basis of giving absolutely no weight whatsoever to articles which start with "6 things you never knew about..."

The article is badly written and relies on some extremely ropey evidence.

1. Nobody had heart attacks at the turn of the century - I'm pretty sure they did... show me statistics that show otherwise and the studies that show that heart attacks these days are caused by skimmed milk

2. More scare tactics with no science to back it up. If you are concerned about oxidization of cholesterol check out the study below. They didn't really find any oxidized cholesterol in raw, pasteurized or UHT milk. Even cooking milk at 85 degrees Celsius for 12 hours did not result in oxidization. Interestingly despite scaring us about how this oxidized cholesterol is going to back up our arteries point 6 goes on to state "heart disease is in no way caused by dietary cholesterol and saturated fat."" mmm bit contradictory

http://www.db-alp.admin.ch/de/publikatione/docs/pub_SieberR_2005_15663.pdf?PHPSESSID=4c1c17d2966624c1f23b5d1505c818e0

3. As stated by others - the same cows produce both whole milk and milk that is subsequently skimmed. If there are antibiotics and 'nasty bodily fluids' in skimmed milk it will also be present in the whole milk. In fact I would surmise that the process of skimming the milk is likely to reduce the amount of 'extras' in the milk.

4. Milk skim or otherwise provided plenty of nutritional value. Reference is made to vitamins D, E, A and K in the article. In fact whole milk contains only very small amounts of these and is fairly indistinguishable from skim milk in this context. Skim Milk however actually contains more calcium than whole milk.

5. Find me a person that eats and otherwise healthy and calorie controlled diet that has got fat by drinking skimmed milk.

6. I can't say any more on this point other than "where is your evidence?". The article mocks another 'scientific' study which in fact links to a youtube video. Seriously?!

I do wish people wouldn't post so much unsubstantiated rubbish. Some people will read this sort of thing and take it on board. My advice would be if there are no real studies referenced take it with a pinch of salt (or not cos we all know salt is bad for you!)
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options

6: Well, that's nice. Nor will watching Dr Who. But I still watch Dr Who because I like it.

Same here. I could watch it all day!:tongue: Bow ties are cool.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    thanks... that's all i drink... i was raised on a farm and only had fresh cows milk. when i left home and started drinking and eating store bought food it took a bit getting used to. when i first bought milk, i bought the whole milk and i thought that tasted like water, it was terrible. i still remember that... now that years have gone by I've been on nonfat milk for years.... thanks for the posting. i'm going to share it and going to wean us back to whole milk again, maybe organic milk....