unhealthy and fit

Options
I want a slimmer toned body (fit, flat abs, slimmer thighs and arms and looking good in clothing and bikini next summer) and I mainly do workout dvds to achieve this (my trouble areas are the stomach and thighs). I am not able to eat healthy and I'm pretty sure I'm way below my 1430 calorie limit on a daily basis, however I'm not eating out or eating fast food regularly. usually I will have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on WHITE bread, scrambled egg sandwich fried with vegetable oil on WHITE bread, oatmeal WITH WHITE SUGAR, FRIED and PACKAGED foods for dinner, WHITE rice and mashed potatoes.. (I'm in the south so think of typical sourthen foods). My main concern is this will hinder my results... what do you think? is whey protein needed to prevent losing muscle and do you think pro-biotics should be taken to help with belly fat and bloat?

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Why are you not able to eat healthy food? And aren't you tracking your food to know your calorie intake?
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Why are you unable to eat healthy? Wheat bread and brown rice don't taste too different..... I always thought southern food was homemade. Well anyways it will effect your results. The better you eat the better you feel as well.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    White =/= unhealthy.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Are you also eating fruit and veg? I sometimes eat white bread, and sometimes I fry my food, and sometimes I have mashed potato, but I don't consider myself to be an unhealthy eater as a result - I also eat lots of salads and fruit, and find I'm quite healthy in general.
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i can't afford healthy foods or anyting. I eat whatever my dad buy and prepares. with my 95.00 phone bill, $77.00 internet, and 100.00 for transportation and only earing $400.00 check or less a month I have no money. sourthern food is homemade for the most part but he also buys packaged and can foods. he refuses to buy and eat healthier foods and we don't have much anyways. I will eat canned veggies if he makes it and no fruit or salads. he doesn't buy them.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Could you at least invest in a package of wheat bread or some sort of complex carbs like oats and sweet potatoes for yourself? They run at about $2-4 for a package of bread, and something like $5-6 for a box of steel cut oatmeal at my grocery store, so it wouldn't be too major an expense. Also, does he buy any canned lean meats, like tuna in water or chicken? Not all canned food is awful for you. Also, are you getting any fruits and vegetables in?
  • Charmed285
    Options
    no fruits and no fresh veggies. I have the quick oatmeal but I add sugar for taste. sweet potatoes are expensive. since I eat bread a lot I will give out of wheat bread quickly and white has more bread in the bag than wheat plus he will buy more but not the wheat bread. he doesn't by canned tuna or chicken unless I ask and it will only be one or two cans.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I add articifial sweetener, like Splenda for taste, so that I don't add calories, or even Truvia or stevia if you want to keep it natural (in terms of your oatmeal)

What does he buy in cans?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yes it will hinder your results. You cannot get ripped and healthy eating crap food, and not eating enough food in general.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    You're clearly not willing to help yourself, so I don't really see why you're on here even asking the question in the first place. You know the answer.
  • JuanaViviane
    Options
    well maybe you should try to lower your phone bill a bit and spend the money on healthy food instead!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    i can't afford healthy foods or anyting. I eat whatever my dad buy and prepares. with my 95.00 phone bill, $77.00 internet, and 100.00 for transportation and only earing $400.00 check or less a month I have no money.

Can you reduce your phone bill and internet? Are there any packages which combine the two? I pay £25 a month for phone and internet combined.
  • jamesandalexsmum
    Options
    maybe cut down on the phone bill and spend some money on fruit and veg... this shouldn't cost too much
  • Charmed285
    Options
    I would LOVE AND APPRECIATE suggestions to fix this problem.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I would LOVE AND APPRECIATE suggestions to fix this problem.

Cut your phone use and spend a few dollars on some veg. Even a bag of frozen veg will suffice.

And gradually cut down your sugar. Do it a bit at a time and you'll barely notice it.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Are YOU paying the phone and internet or is your dad? I see your dad does the grocery shopping. Can you go with him or give him a list of a few things you want instead of other stuff he usually buys? Does he(or whomever else you live with) know of your goals?
    I understand being in a bind where you are not the one paying for the food so you feel you have no say, but to get ripped like you want, you are going to have to tweak some of your diet.
    What do you eat for protein? Chicken, beans, ground beef? Do you guys have a crock pot? Could you invest in a crock pot, even if you have to pick up a used one at Salvation Army? I see them there when I go there(and I'm not poor, so don't feel embarassed if you have to go there to afford one!)
    What else is being purchased? Chips, soda? Perhaps ask him to skip a bag of chips he usually buys you and buy a 1 lb bag of carrots instead. That is comparable price-wise, so no "they are too expensive" excuse;-)
  • Charmed285
    Options
    I don't know the answer and I am willing to help myself, I just haven't figured out how so I came here. I called and checked about lowering my phone bill but it's not possible since the other two lines talk a lot and I have to consider them, plus it's in my name and I'm still under contract.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    You can eat healthily cheaply. I did it for £8 a week when I was trying to sort out my debt last year. You don't have to eat what your dad buys.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    White =/= unhealthy.

woah woah woah
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You are 22 according to your profile. When I was 22 I was living on my own and supporting myself. I also see that you are in college now so maybe moving out isn't the best option now, but would you be willing to get a part-time job to have some more spending money so that you can feed yourself properly? If not, work on doing what you can with what you have now. A bag of apples is only $3-4 dollars and can last one person a week. Are you willing to spend just $4 a week on fruit?