unhealthy and fit

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, you may want to check out high satiety foods and try to figure out which ones are inexpensive. These are filling foods, more bang for your buck.
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've asked repeatedly for my boss to increase my hours and she says she isn't able to because of high labor. If I had to I wouldn't mind living a veagan lifestyle if I had to but i'm not sure on how to go about that. my college wifi SUCKS it's hard to get a connction and due to lack of transportation I'm not always able to get to a computer lab. classes are back to back and public transit picks me up around 4 and they won't come later so I go home and unless I go to work earlier or stay a little later I can't get there. which I am thinking about doing that since it seems to be my only choice.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You do not need to justify your internet/phone. It is not a luxury, in North America in 2012, point blank. Especially given the importance of communication for all of you.

I think you're badly served by your community - just one bus from your college to home is outrageous. Without that internet connection - I'm assuming you have access to electronic resources from home? - you'd be screwed for research papers (how could you go to the library?).

It must be terribly frustrating that your boss likes to have a large float of workers and keep their hours low, and that that's the only work that will accommodate your studies. Are you eligible for any work-study positions on campus (library or bookstore clerk; research assistant)? If you haven't already done this, it's an idea to contact your college career centre, and see what programs/job postings might be available. Some are based on financial need, and mean you'll have to fill out a bunch of forms. Worth trying.

I guess the commute might still be a problem... slim hope, but are there any rideshare programs organized by student groups at your college? Is bicycling feasible at all (doubt the bike lanes are there, somehow :( )?
  • Charmed285
    Options
    no bike lines and I'm not sure what tha is.. public transit is thr only thing my county offers; no train, buses, taxies or anything. I checked out workstudy last week and the school doesn't have any more positions or they're not accepting applications. no ride share program and my school is about 20 minutes away from where I live on car so it would be longer on a bike, also, I don't have one and I wouldn't ride it when it's winter.
  • milk_shakes
    Options
    Ground beef; cook then drain and rinse rinse rinse. Takes cheap-o ground beef from 73/27 fat swimming in a pool of grease to 95/5
    Buy frozen unprepared chicken breasts in bulk and cook them all at once for lunch and dinner while youre out. (bags here cost $6 for 3 lb)
    Buy romaine lettuce and italian salad dressing (a little goes a long way) and top with chicken daily for lunch.($5 for the week)
    Switch from instant oatmeal ($5 for maybe 10 packets?) to a big container of plain oatmeal that you cook (same price for much more) and top with banana slices (75 cents a pound?)
    light Yogurts for snack (50 cents each for store brand name)
    one box of brown rice even instant to make while your family is eating white ($1.50)
    drink water! eliminate all other beverages. water is free and really important

you'll get used to limiting sugar if you add fruit

your dad is probably used to preparing these foods and it fits his ebt budget so he may be stubborn. ask him to try it for one week offer to cook healthy meals for him that week and tell him you want him to be healthier too.
    prepackaged and microwaveable foods cost WAY MORE you pay for the prep but also for all the preservatives and nitrates and acids and syrups and chemicals! he wont miss it.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    $95 for your phone and you are splitting it between three people? That is insane! Plans around here with unlimited minutes, texts, AND data are only $45 per month!

You may not have much money but set aside part of it for your health. It comes down to what is your health worth to you? One loaf of wheat bread can last a while for one person. Buy whatever fruit is on sale. Start tracking your calories in and out here on MFP to see where you stand.
  • sherise1214
    sherise1214 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you speak sign language, if you are fluent due to your parents and you are paying for the video, there are companies that will pay well for translation for deaf persons answering machines. You answer, sign them the message and they sign back and you call the hearing person for the deaf, even with text and video there's still a need for these services.

They work with your hours to, since u may be doing it for people in various time zones, perfect stay at home job.

Just a thought
  • Charmed285
    Options
    I was wondering if you speak sign language, if you are fluent due to your parents and you are paying for the video, there are companies that will pay well for translation for deaf persons answering machines. You answer, sign them the message and they sign back and you call the hearing person for the deaf, even with text and video there's still a need for these services.

They work with your hours to, since u may be doing it for people in various time zones, perfect stay at home job.

Just a thought

A four year degree is required for all translating jobs and I don't have that. I don't know about the stay at home part, but places that offer these jobs are an hour or more away from me so I couldn't get there. the video phone is free, all they need is internet.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    ok well after I saw there is also dish tv I was pretty much done. With all of the suggestions comes an excuse. I don't understand people on limited incomes complaining about not being able to eat healthy and yet have dish tv. DONE

edit to add* my husband works 2 jobs and I work one and we have rabbit ears for tv. We prefer to eat healthy vs flipping channels.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think you should try talking to your dad about being healthy (how it can benefit the whole family) and how you help him SAVE money. You mentioned he buys fried chicken? Why not buy the whole chicken, cut it up, and then fry it? Does he actually buy it FRIED? That seems way more expensive than buying a whole chicken or chicken parts and cooking it any way you like. You mentioned he occasionally buys beans: explain how buying a bag of dry beans for $1-2 is cheaper than a 15oz can of beans. You get so much more. Bread: I realize the cheap white bread is usually $1, but find areas where you can splurge (bread) and areas where you can save (beans, buying fruit and veggies at a farmer's market). For $2-2.50, you can get something like Nature's Own Honeywheat. It tastes really good and is filling.

I think the biggest thing you can do is talk to him, offer to help "save money" by doing some of the shopping and helping prepare healthy and tasty meals. You can start with a hearty bean soup. You don't need to overhaul the entire grocery list, but pick a few things like bread, meat, beans, and/or fruit/veggies to focus on first.
  • Charmed285
    Options
    ok well after I saw there is also dish tv I was pretty much done. With all of the suggestions comes an excuse. I don't understand people on limited incomes complaining about not being able to eat healthy and yet have dish tv. DONE

edit to add* my husband works 2 jobs and I work one and we have rabbit ears for tv. We prefer to eat healthy vs flipping channels.

the dish tv is for my parents and they're not intersted in eating or being healthy and I'm not paying for it. the dish tv is not for me and in fact I don't watch tv and have'nt in a very long time. I'm woring, going to school, doing homework, fitting in excercise somewhere, and then its bed. my dad buys what he wants and that's it. if I want to eat healthy I would have to buy it myself. and I'm not trying to come up with an excuse, I'm simply stating a fact.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Stop paying auntie and uncle's phone bill. they can get stuffed.

Waiting for the excuse why that's not possible ..
  • Charmed285
    Options
    I think you should try talking to your dad about being healthy (how it can benefit the whole family) and how you help him SAVE money. You mentioned he buys fried chicken? Why not buy the whole chicken, cut it up, and then fry it? Does he actually buy it FRIED? That seems way more expensive than buying a whole chicken or chicken parts and cooking it any way you like. You mentioned he occasionally buys beans: explain how buying a bag of dry beans for $1-2 is cheaper than a 15oz can of beans. You get so much more. Bread: I realize the cheap white bread is usually $1, but find areas where you can splurge (bread) and areas where you can save (beans, buying fruit and veggies at a farmer's market). For $2-2.50, you can get something like Nature's Own Honeywheat. It tastes really good and is filling.

I think the biggest thing you can do is talk to him, offer to help "save money" by doing some of the shopping and helping prepare healthy and tasty meals. You can start with a hearty bean soup. You don't need to overhaul the entire grocery list, but pick a few things like bread, meat, beans, and/or fruit/veggies to focus on first.

he buys the chicken in parts and fries them, I tried to get him to bake it instead and add bbq but that's a no go sometimes. I showed him the dried beans and he saw that it's cheaper, but wasn't interested because he didn't know what to do with them or how to cook them also, he says it takes too long so he doesn't want it. so that was the end of that conversation though of course if I bought these myself and figured out how to make it he and my mom would want to eat it depending on what it is except for the wheat bread or anything brown like whole grain pasta, rice, or ground turkey..that he won't touch.
  • Charmed285
    Options
    Stop paying auntie and uncle's phone bill. they can get stuffed.

Waiting for the excuse why that's not possible ..

Sorry to disappoint, but you're not getting one. :) I'm going to speak with them today about canceling the service and I'm going to search for a cheaper plan and maybe I could still eat healthy? so I wouldn't be competely without it, even if it's just a basic plan. and I'm canceling my internet service. unless a miracle happens and someone decides to pay for them.

just a thought... how am i suppose to log in without having a phone to scan the items and internet to get on here?
  • Lyssa62
    Options
    use a notebook and pen.
  • Lyssa62
    Options
    "this" is just another tool . People have been losing weight way before myfitnesspal.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    white bread and wheat bread cost almost the same... same at brown rice vs white. .. i don't understand why its so hard to do this. Tell your dad to leave one piece of chicken out and you can bake it yourself or bbq it. When I moved back with my parents they ate junk and i just said leave the meat ill cook it myself my way.
  • Lyssa62
    Options
    white bread and wheat bread cost almost the same... same at brown rice vs white. .. i don't understand why its so hard to do this. Tell your dad to leave one piece of chicken out and you can bake it yourself or bbq it. When I moved back with my parents they ate junk and i just said leave the meat ill cook it myself my way.

LOL that would be too easy
  • Lyssa62
    Options
    ps I just did the math on your check/ vs bills and that would leave you $128 (even though personally that phone bill is crazy and that needs to go)..but that being said you should have right around $100 left..go buy your own food...get a plastic tote to keep it in..what you need to put in the fridge label it yours. for 1 person you could buy a bunch of healthy food that would last you a couple of weeks.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone already said this- but as far as the oatmeal thing, you can always add apple sauce instead of just straight sugar to sweeten it. It still contains sugar, but at least it's not a spoon full of added white sugar. Apple sauce is relatively cheap.
    Other things that are pretty cheap (try to shop at aldi's if you can, I love that place)
    - Brown rice
    - Whole grain oatmeal
    - Lettuce
    - Reduced sodium canned beans (i still rinse them even thought they are low-sodium)
    - Dry beans (takes care of the sodium issue)
    - Vegetables/fruits
    - Frozen chicken breasts (keep your eye out, they go on sale sometimes for $5/bag which has around 2 lbs. of chicken)
    - If you're already buying jelly, get sugar free instead

You can always sign up for the grocery ads of places in your area. If you find things on sale, Wal-Mart does price match if you take the ad in with the exact same item currently on sale