3 day military diet- information and a rant

Options
I can understand people looking for a quicker way to lose weight. I really can, but when it comes down to miraculously losing 10lbs in 3 days, something isn't right somewhere. I keep seeing this 3 day military diet all over pinterest and I finally sat down with a pen, paper and calculator and figured some things out. (my calculations are displayed below) I'm not sure where this nutty thing came from, but it sure doesn't add up from what I can see. Check it out for yourself. I've added in parentheses what values I used for certain things, just to see what it would add up to if I were going to try this out. (I"m not)

Feel free to comment and add your two cents.

3 day diet

DAY 1:
Breakfast--1/2 Grapefruit, 1 Slice Toast (ben’s whole wheat soft), 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter (kraft smooth light), and Coffee or Tea
Total: 297 calories, 39g of carbs, 10g of protein
Lunch--1/2 Cup of Tuna, 1 Slice of Toast, and Coffee or Tea
Total: 174 calories, 14g carbs, 23g of protein
Dinner--2 Slices of any type meat (About 3 ounces, chicken) 1 Cup of Green Beans, 1/2 Banana (medium), 1 Small Apple, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream (generic entry)
Total: 598 calories, 76g carbs, 34g of protein
Daily total: 1069 calories, 129g of carbs, 67g of protein

DAY 2:
Breakfast--1 egg, 1 Slice of Toast, and 1/2 Banana
Total: 216 cals, 28g carbs, 10g protein
Lunch--1 Cup of Cottage Cheese (Or 1 Slice of Cheddar Cheese (kraft), 1 Hard Boiled Egg, and 5 Saltine Crackers
Total: cottage cheese: 163 cals, 6g carbs, 28g protein (OR 193 cals, 14g and 11g protein)
Dinner--2 Hot Dogs, (no buns, maple leaf), 1 Cup of Broccoli, 1/2 Cup of Carrots, 1/2 Banana, and 1/2 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream
Total: 454 calories, 40g carbs, 17g protein
Daily total: 833 calories, 70g carbs, 55g of protein OR 863 calories, 82g carbs, 38g protein

Breakfast--5 Saltine Crackers, 1 Slice of Cheddar Cheese, and 1 Small Apple
Total:187 cals, 32g carbs, 5g protein
Lunch-1 Hard-Boiled Egg, and 1 Slice of Toast
Total: 163 calories, 15g carbs and 9g of protein
Dinner--1 Cup of Tuna, 1/2 of a Banana, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream
Total: 521 calories, 47g of carbs, 45g protein
Daily total: 871 calories, 94g carbs, 59g protein

Replies

• kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Military diet? Doesn't look like a military diet to me, there isn't any tabasco sauce anywhere in there! Drop the bread and ice cream and youve got the start of a primal diet, however.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    Military diet? Doesn't look like a military diet to me, there isn't any tabasco sauce anywhere in there! Drop the bread and ice cream and youve got the start of a primal diet, however.

hahah. I didn't name it. I just keep seeing it everywhere so I felt the need to break it down.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Looks low Cal.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ugh the ten pounds in three day diet...
    I did a version of this 13 years ago and it was HORRIBLE.

Good riddance to that!
  • riiah86
    Options
    Funny, I just saw this on pinterest for the first time like 10 seconds ago. i don't understand it. Also is says that you can do three days on four days off and lose 40lbs in one month.
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Seems like half a diet to me. Each one of those 'meals' is a snack. To have between real meals!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I can't see how losing 10lbs in 3 days is even possible, even without eating anything... unless you're losing copious amounts of water weight. And even then, I don't see how they could promise it.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Having lived closely with the military for so many years, I was able to see what some went through in order to make weight... Running ridiculously, no water, very little food, body wraps, sauna for hours with Saran wrap...

They should have just done it all year so they didn't have to kill themselves 2x a year.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    Just re-found the link for those curious.

http://blessedmommy.hubpages.com/hub/Lose-Up-To-10-Pounds-In-3-Days-On-The-3-Day-Diet

I just think this whole thing is silly. And unhealthy.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I've done this diet before and my calories has been much higher than the one's you have on there. Mine has been anywhere from 1200-1300 calories depending on the products. IE I use Great value reduced fat pb and 2 table spoons is 190 calories.

When I went off of it on the 4th day I still ate healthy and I felt full after each meal.
  • Whittles1618
    Options
    I actually tried it lost 5lbs but that was without exercising.
  • txbutrfly22
    Options
    Actually, this is a military diet. I was given this diet when I was joining the Army. It is effective, but it is difficult. However, it does work!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    it's just a very low calorie diet. You'll lose mostly water/glycogen weight
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I can understand people looking for a quicker way to lose weight. I really can, but when it comes down to miraculously losing 10lbs in 3 days, something isn't right somewhere...
    What, you mean you don't think you can create a 35,000 calorie deficit (which is roughly what a legitimate 10-pound loss would require) in 3 days?

Yeah, me neither.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    you can rest assured that that diet has nothing to do with what soldiers eat on a daily basis and it is total BS

US Army Infantry 85-89
  • hannibal28
    hannibal28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am active duy and we would never be told to try that diet, it is not safe. We have always been taught to do a lot of cardio and eat healthy, not low carbs.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Blimey - I remember this one from 20 odd years ago. It was called something else but still sold as a miracle diet! I bought the myth then. Wouldn't now :-)
  • dblansfield
    Options
    I did this diet about 20 years ago...back then it was just called the 3 day diet. I was able to only complete 3 cycles before getting very sick. I had no energy and would get dizzy standing up! It is nothing more than a starvation diet! Back then it was used for people who needed to lose a lot of weight before a surgery. If anyone is thinking of doing this diet, please don't. It isn't healthy!!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So much fruit and veg, not.