3 day military diet- information and a rant

Options

Replies

• danichris21
    Options
    This to me also seems super unhealthy! I just started my weight loss journey, but would never try something like this just to try and drop a bunch of weight in a ridiculous amount of time!
  • joymelanson1
    Options
    I can understand people looking for a quicker way to lose weight. I really can, but when it comes down to miraculously losing 10lbs in 3 days, something isn't right somewhere...
    What, you mean you don't think you can create a 35,000 calorie deficit (which is roughly what a legitimate 10-pound loss would require) in 3 days?

Yeah, me neither.
  • joymelanson1
    Options
    I just finished the first round of the 3 day diet and lost 5.6 lbs. I don't know how it works so well, but it does and I didn't follow it exactly. I continued to drink green tea every day and added some coconut oil to cook the chicken and I also used it with the tuna warmed with a bit of mustard. I exercised the first day only. Today I joined this again to eat on track the next 4 days, then I plan to do it again. I think 3 days of low caloric intake is infinately better than what I was eating! And the quick results keep you going. You can do anything for 3 days to achieve these results, I'm a believer. You never know what will work for you until you try.
  • areumdawn
    areumdawn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was going to try this, but realized I was tired of this stupid **** and yoyoing back and forth. I had crept up back into my 140s and it made me desperate. I used to buy into diet pills and eating really low cal but it just isn't sustainable. Finally I realized. Slow and steady is better.
  • joymelanson1
    Options
    It's only 3 days, try it and then tell us what you think. I did it and lost 5.6 lbs first three days I just stared my 4 days of healthy eating and then I'm doing it again, it works so far.
    And it would take me a month to lose that!
  • navywendy00
    Options
    Military diet? Doesn't look like a military diet to me, there isn't any tabasco sauce anywhere in there! Drop the bread and ice cream and youve got the start of a primal diet, however.

You're right on eith missing the Tabasco sauce lol. This looks really unhealthy
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Various versions of this have been around for ages under different names. the US Ski team diet, the Military diet, Mayo Diet, etc.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Only because I need to wear a bathing suit in a little over 2 weeks, I am giving this a shot... starting it tomorrow... Wish me luck!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    It's another stupid diet for stupid people. Nothing new there
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    All the "miracle", "10 LBS", and "3 day" diets all work the same way... the extreme low calorie (and low protien) consumption forces your body to burn off its glycogen stores from the muscles. Dont quote me on this, but my understanding is that our body holds about 2 lbs or so of water to support each 1/2lb of stored glycogen... so if you burn off 2 lbs of stored gloycogen you will also retain about 8lbs less water. You burned basicly no fat, but the scale will be down 10 lbs. This is the miracle 10 lbs we all loose when starting a diet and why everyone hits a "stall" 2-3 weeks into almost any low calorie diet. As your body adjusts your scale weight will stall out, even though you may still actually be loosing fat... its just that your body will be adjusting it glycogen stores and water retention.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It's another stupid diet for stupid people. Nothing new there

guess I am just stupid..
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I actually tried it lost 5lbs but that was without exercising.

that's pretty awesome, so if you followed this for two months, and no exercise, you'd lose 40 POUNDS. seems worth it to me. Afterall you only diet 3 days, then back to regular the other 4. Once I'm 40 pounds less I'd be at my goal weight!!! I'm so doing this!!!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I actually tried it lost 5lbs but that was without exercising.

that's pretty awesome, so if you followed this for two months, and no exercise, you'd lose 40 POUNDS. seems worth it to me. Afterall you only diet 3 days, then back to regular the other 4. Once I'm 40 pounds less I'd be at my goal weight!!! I'm so doing this!!!!

As you will see in other posts this is a two-steps-forward-one-step-back diet - some of the weight lost is water weight, so it will go back on when you eat normally, reducing the initial weight loss. Calories in, calories out... this simply gives you a calorie deficit over the entire week. Which means 5lb a week weight loss that stays off simply isn't going to happen.

Far easier, and less stressful, to just moderate calories to a sensible amount every day (and not eating rubbish like hotdogs).
  • nomicat77
    Options
    just found this on Live Strong:

The 3 Day Diet Substitutions

The 3 Day Diet is a brief weight loss regimen that claims to be effective due to its unique combination of foods. However, the diet and weight loss website Every Diet calls the 3 Day Diet a fad diet that is usually effective for short-term weight loss only. Every Diet explains that the extremely low calorie level and loss of water weight cause weight reduction on this diet. While at first the 3 Day Diet plan seems rigid, you'll find that several substitutions are permitted to help you customize the diet. The substitution foods offer roughly the same nutritional value as the original foods, so your weight loss should not be affected.
    Orange

Use an orange as a substitute for grapefruit if you desire, suggests Every Diet. Oranges and grapefruits are both nutrient-rich fruits that are particularly high in vitamin C. According to The Daily Plate, an online nutrition database, the average orange contains about 80 calories and offers 130 percent of your recommended daily value of vitamin C. Grapefruits contain about 69 calories and contain around 140 percent of your daily recommended value for vitamin C. Grapefruits also contain 12 percent of your daily recommended value for vitamin A. This indicates grapefruits may be slightly healthier than oranges.
    Tuna

You can use tuna as a substitute for cottage cheese, explains Every Diet. Both are sources of protein that are low in fat, although tuna doesn't contain carbohydrates, while cottage cheese does. Cottage cheese is a dairy product, so you may wish to eat tuna instead if you are lactose intolerant. If you do elect to eat tuna instead of cottage cheese, be sure to buy fresh tuna or tuna that is canned in water. Tuna also comes canned in oil, but that will add fat and calories, which could hinder your weight loss.
    Cauliflower

Cauliflower can be eaten in place of broccoli on the 3 Day Diet, reports Every Diet. Both are low-calorie vegetables that offer complex carbohydrates. Broccoli and cauliflower may help you feel full even on a low-calorie diet plan.
    Frozen Yogurt

Vanilla ice cream is recommended as a post-dinner treat on each day of the 3 Day Diet. However, you can enjoy frozen yogurt in place of vanilla ice cream. According to The Daily Plate, vanilla ice cream contains 130 calories per half-cup serving, while frozen yogurt is slightly lower in calories, with 100 per half-cup. Frozen yogurt is much lower in fat, with 2 grams, than vanilla ice cream, which has 7 grams per serving. The Daily Plate notes that both frozen yogurt and vanilla ice cream have 14 grams of sugar per serving.
    Toast

The 3 Day Diet recommends eating five saltine crackers during several meals, and Every Diet notes that you have the option to substitute toast for the five saltines. These are both carbohydrate sources that are low protein in protein and fat.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    As much as some people want to try the Military Diet, there are a couple of food items here and there that just don’t appeal or can’t be eaten because of dietary limitations. The following substitution list for all the foods on the Military Diet can be used to create a gluten free, lactose free and vegetarian version of the Military Diet. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to drop us a line…

Grapefruit Substitute:

Some people can’t eat grapefruit because it interferes with medication. Other people just don’t like the taste. Do not substitute orange for grapefruit. To get the same Military Diet benefits as grapefruit, put 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it.
    Peanut Butter Substitute:

Peanut ButterIf you have a peanut allergy or just don’t like peanut butter, you can substitute the same amount of almond butter, pumpkin butter, soy butter, sunflower seed butter, hummus or bean dip. Two tablespoons of plain sunflower seeds also work.
    Bread Substitute:

In place of bread, you can eat 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup of whole grain cereal, 1/2 high protein bar, 1/4 cup of yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of flax seeds or 5 ounces of a meal replacement shake. You can also use one tortilla or two rice cakes instead of bread.
    Coffee Substitute:
    Green tea Military Diet

Green tea is a great coffee substitute

A regular cup of coffee has about 100 mgs of caffeine, give or take. Instead of coffee or tea, you can drink Sugar Free Red Bull (76 mgs of caffiene) or Green Tea. Sugar Free Hot Chocolate also contains small amounts of caffeine. Excederin Extra Strength has 65 mgs of caffiene per pill if you happen to have a headache. Any other sources of caffeine have too many calories for the Military Diet.
    Tuna Substitute:

A few people on the Military Diet say they don’t like ‘plain tuna’ out of the can. The best substitute for canned tuna is a piece of grilled sushi grade tuna, the same size as 1/2 or 1 cup serving of canned tuna. Other substitutes for tuna include cottage cheese, chicken, tofu, almonds or peanuts.
    Green Bean Substitute:

If you can’t eat green beans for any reason, substitute the same amount of lettuce, tomatoes, spinach or any other green vegetable.
    Meat Substitute:

Military Diet meatIf you’re vegetarian, you can use lentils, beans, tofu or portobello mushrooms as meat alternatives.
    Banana Substitute:

For one whole banana, substitute 2 kiwis, 1 cup of papaya or 2 apricots on the Military Diet. Plums, grapes and apple sauce also work.
    Carrot Substitute:

Squash, parsnip, beets, celery and bell pepper can all be substituted for carrots.
    Broccoli Substitute:

If you’re substituting out broccoli on the Military Diet, try and use a green or greenish vegetable like cauliflower, spinach, brussel sprouts or asparagus.
    Cheddar Cheese Substitute:

For the serving of cheddar cheese in the Military Diet, you can use 2 eggs, 1 cup of cottage cheese or two ounce of ham as a replacement. Other non dairy, vegetarian cheese substitutes with calcium include soy cheese, soy milk, cabbage and tofu.
    Hot Dog Substitute:
    Tofu on the Military Diet

Versatile tofu can be prepared many ways…

Typical hot dogs are not a great nutritional choice, especially if the hot dogs contain nitrates. Military Diet substitutes for hot dogs include turkey dogs, soy dogs, tofu dogs, bratwurst,luncheon meat, deli meat or baloney. For vegetarians, you can also substitute beans, lentils, or portobello mushrooms.
    Egg Substitute:

On the Military Diet, you can substitute eggs for a cup of milk, one chicken wing, 1/4 cup of seeds or nuts, or 2 slices of bacon.
    Apple Substitute:

Instead of apples, try plums, peaches, grapes, zucchini, pears or dried apricots.
    Cottage Cheese substitute:

PLAIN Greek yogurt, low fat ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs, or ham. Tofu is a non dairy substitute with similar nutrients.
    Vanilla ice cream:

The vanilla ice cream in the Military Diet can be substituted for 1 cup of fruit flavoured yogurt or apple juice. A good non dairy substitute is strawberry, vanilla or banana flavoured almond milk. Do not substitute chocolate almond milk.
    Saltine crackers:

Rice CakesRice cakes are a perfect substitute for saltine crackers. If you substitute saltine crackers for any other cracker, like gluten free, make sure you’re eating a similar amount of calories. Each saltine cracker has 13 calories.
  • fairasthemoon
    Options
    It's less about decreased calories and more about chemical reactions and metabolism boosting foods. The foods in the combinations listed change the way your body metabolizes them. That is why it doesn't work well if you substitute or mix it up. I lost alot of weight doing this. For a month I did the diet every week Wednesday-Friday. Then I went nuts on the weekend. I didn't work out and I lost and kept off 11 lbs that month... At least I kept it off til Thanksgiving/Christmas. Lol.

I do believe if I had not doubled the ice cream portions and had eaten reasonably on my off days and combined with excercise I may have triple my weight loss.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Oh, please do elaborate on the biochemistry of hot dogs!
  • mariholm
    mariholm Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Oh, please do elaborate on the biochemistry of hot dogs!

:laugh:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's less about decreased calories and more about chemical reactions and metabolism boosting foods. The foods in the combinations listed change the way your body metabolizes them. That is why it doesn't work well if you substitute or mix it up. I lost alot of weight doing this. For a month I did the diet every week Wednesday-Friday. Then I went nuts on the weekend. I didn't work out and I lost and kept off 11 lbs that month... At least I kept it off til Thanksgiving/Christmas. Lol.

I do believe if I had not doubled the ice cream portions and had eaten reasonably on my off days and combined with excercise I may have triple my weight loss.

This has got to be a troll post! If not, I have studied human biology at university and can assure you that there is absolutely nothing about the combination of food that creates any kind of miraculous chemical reaction. Calories in, calories out. Simple.