3 day military diet- information and a rant

Options

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Most people who do this eat like this three days a week then normally four days a week as a form of intermittent fasting. It would shift 1-2lbs a week.

It's not a totally daft idea but it doesn't matter what you eat on those days (there are some claims it is a 'chemistry' diet etc) but calories in and calories out.

Personally I hate anything really prescriptive and would prefer to log my calories on MFP and eat more veg.
  • martin_chicago
    martin_chicago Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It works
    The point is do this diet for 3 days and
    Eat right the next for days
    I didn't lose 10 pounds in a week
    I did for 2 weeks
    And lost
    8 pounds the first time and
    7 the next week
    And of course I did 30-60 minutes cardio
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Definitely not for me...I have to say though; I always get a good chuckle when they call these "military" diets or "marine commando" diets or whatever. When I was in the Marines I probably ate upwards of 4,000 calories per day, and I'm probably estimating low. Where do they come up with these names? They should just call this the "for the birds" diet or the "pass the **** out" diet...
  • brosiaeloise
    brosiaeloise Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was trying to lose weight so I could join the military, and this was the diet that a recruiter gave to me. He also told me about a vegetable and protein diet, that you do for a month. He said another person who was trying to enlist needed to lose weight and did that diet with exercise and lost 60lbs in a month. It was a cup of veggies and a cup of chicken for breakfast lunch and dinner. I did the 3 day diet in 2010 and I lost 8lbs but once I went off I never went back, I was real jittery and had the shakes while I was on it and didn't know how to control my hunger in-between the meals. I definitely wanna try it again now that I have better will power
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Dinner--1 Cup of Tuna, 1/2 of a Banana, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

Some people have the funniest taste buds.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Dinner--1 Cup of Tuna, 1/2 of a Banana, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream

Some people have the funniest taste buds.

Not only that, but have you ever tried to eat tuna from the can without mayonnaise? It's very dry and hard to choke down.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Tuna without Mayo has GOT to be unAmerican therefore there is NO WAY it can be a military diet :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...when you said military diet I was thinking bread and water for 3 days lol.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I hate mayo with a passion. When I have tuna I put in a little mustard. Hate mayo!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    When I was in bootcamp I was eating about 4,000 calories a day. I lost 15 lbs in 7 weeks.
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    When I was in bootcamp I was eating about 4,000 calories a day. I lost 15 lbs in 7 weeks.

Caveat- I was getting my *kitten* kicked, not sleeping, and running/swimming/doing exercise constantly.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's do-able if it's only for 3 days out of 7. At least there seems to be a good amount of high protein foods. It's too prescriptive for me, though.
  • sudowpa2
    Options
    The truth to the matter is that the only way to loose weight is to exercise and eat right.

When I went through basic. I ate three times a day. Full Meals Too. Also Drank a lot of water cause of the excessive moving around. They also made sure I ate. I ate everything but junk food and soda. My drill sergeant would make sure of that. Besides if someone had something bad. Be assure that he wasn't the only one working the calories off. We all got punished.

I saw it this way. We were always moving.

Got up at 430 Cleaned the Bay
    530 Doing PT for an hour (We alternated between running and muscle groups every other day) Sunday was day off. We stripped and rewaxed the Bay
    630 We would go to Breakfast.
    0730 We would go upstairs and get ready for the workday and we were down by 0900

At 1130 We were either at mess hall for lunch or had an MRE and had at least and hour
    The rest of the day we were doing something.

AT 5pm is when we quit had dinner and did our laundry and shoes.

In 8 Weeks I went from 238lbs down to 185lbs.

I was also super healthy too.

In conclusion is that they can have all these crazy diets. Truth of the matter is that if you eat right and exercise. Calories in and Calories out method. You will loose your weight, keep it off and be healthy in the end.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Military diet? Doesn't look like a military diet to me, there isn't any tabasco sauce anywhere in there! Drop the bread and ice cream and youve got the start of a primal diet, however.

Can't have an MRE without the tabasco!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

That is normal in Boot Camp though. When I went through navy I lost like 25 pounds, through Coast Guard 10 lbs. But I know of people who gained as well. All the foods they make in boot camp are super high in protein. They do that on purpose because you need it. I don't know how you guys did it, but in Coast Guard boot camp they made sure you ate. If you were done, you get up and go out side and stand at parade rest until EVERYONE finishes. Each company had 30 minutes to eat, the reason behind that is because people shoving food down their throats were learning really bad habits once they got out of boot camp.

But the food in Coast Guard boot camp was high calorie/high protein because of how much calories you burn.

Now...I was in PTSP (prior service)...so I had it a lot easier than recruits...but I was still losing weight, I only had to go through half of what recruits did.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Note to self: Don't join military.
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    I am a coasty :) OMG Did you have to eat Scrapple?!?! WTF is that!?!?!

That is normal in Boot Camp though. When I went through navy I lost like 25 pounds, through Coast Guard 10 lbs. But I know of people who gained as well. All the foods they make in boot camp are super high in protein. They do that on purpose because you need it. I don't know how you guys did it, but in Coast Guard boot camp they made sure you ate. If you were done, you get up and go out side and stand at parade rest until EVERYONE finishes. Each company had 30 minutes to eat, the reason behind that is because people shoving food down their throats were learning really bad habits once they got out of boot camp.

But the food in Coast Guard boot camp was high calorie/high protein because of how much calories you burn.

Now...I was in PTSP (prior service)...so I had it a lot easier than recruits...but I was still losing weight, I only had to go through half of what recruits did.
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Scrapple? Did someone say scrapple? I love that stuff. I guess it's a mountain people food. I grew up eating it in the Shenandoah Valley. Never once had it at Basic.
  • harmanac
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I did the diet awhile ago for my blog and lost 7 lbs with barely any exercise. I am currently doing it again with my friend and planning on continuing it (3 days on, 4 days off) until the summertime. I think it is incredibly effective. The only downside is I have very low energy to do my workouts, which since the first time I did the diet have become a daily, very vigorous event.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Caveat- I was getting my *kitten* kicked, not sleeping, and running/swimming/doing exercise constantly.

QFT

I don't even think my body could process that amount of calories anymore... thinking back to what we ate in basic training sort of blows my mind;
    Breakfast - French toast with ladels of butter and syrup, eggs, bacon, sausages, toast with butter and jam, juices, cereal and milk, oatmeal, granola, pastries
    Lunch and Dinner - lasagne, corn, bread, potatoes, rice, milk, fried chicken, etc.

...and don't forget those 3 mandatory glasses of gatorade at each meal.

Lets not even talk about MREs eaten during field training... 3 of those a day... whoo!

And yeah, I lost a crazy amount of weight in only 6 weeks (Air Force)