How do you satisfy your sweet tooth?

Options
I read an article listing things to does to satisfy your sweet tooth.

6 Healthy Ways to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Posted By Janis Jibrin on September 11, 2012

Being a nutritionist can make you a little paranoid. Get a hankering for an ice cream sundae or—God forbid—a doughnut, and you’re looking over your shoulder the entire time you’re eating it, hoping a friend or client doesn’t walk in and see you.

I’ll admit: I do splurge on high-calorie sweets on occasion (although I drew the line at doughnuts a few years back—they’re gone before you’ve even realized that you’ve eaten anything). And I enjoy better-for-you treats on a daily basis. When you indulge every day—even on healthier picks—you must stick to nutrition guidelines, or things can get out of hand.

In general, I limit sweets to no more than 200 calories per day. I avoid super-sweet treats (like root beer floats and hard candy) because I’m convinced these foods warp your taste buds, making it hard to appreciate more subtly sweet (and generally healthier) treats, like fruit or the ones listed below. I pass on anything sweetened with artificial sugar—for the same reason I just mentioned. Also, I’d like to see better science proving their safety. Trans fat is also off my list, so I don’t buy sweets with “partially hydrogenated oil” in the ingredient list.

Here are my go-to treats, some of which offer nutrition perks (the latte and yogurt contain calcium; the dark chocolate and tea boast some phytonutrients):

• 12-ounce one-percent decaf latte with 1 teaspoon of sugar and a dash of nutmeg (iced on hot days; hot on cold days) for 145 calories

• 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt topped with 3 tablespoons of granola for 150 to 160 calories

• 1.25 to 1.45 ounces of dark chocolate (70 percent or higher cocoa/cacao, which has less sugar than milk chocolate) for 200 calories

• Homemade iced tea sweetened with 2 teaspoons of sugar per cup for 33 calories

• 1¼ cups caramel popcorn for 190 calories

• Not-so-sweet cookies, either homemade or store-bought, with no more than 10 grams of sugar per cookie, such as Kashi TLC or Back to Nature for 130 to 150 calories per cookie

How do you satisfy your sweet tooth?

Replies

• mum2afew
    mum2afew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Those sound like great ideas! Thanks for posting!
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    Banana, orange juice, and baby spinach. Blend in Magic Bullet! :smile:
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Larabars (I try to stay away from the ones with chocolate chips)
    Stoneybrook frozen yogurt - Chocolate or Vanilla
    Frozen fruit
    Fresh Fruit

I quit eating baked goods, cookies, candy, desserts, sugar and artifical sweeteners back in February. While it wasn't easy, I thought it was going to be worse than it was. What it did help me realize is how often I would eat candy or cookies for no reason except I was bored or out of habit.

I now sweeten my oatmeal with raisins or dried cherries and find I don't miss the added sugar at all. I find it really sad how much sugar is added to processed food.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Anything my wife bakes, or snickers, kit-kat, salted nut rolls. ( best of both, salty and sweet. )
  • Mrbadbern
    Mrbadbern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Iced coffee tall, with 2 tsps unrefined sugar and 2 tbls of evap milk. 90 calories or so.
  • barky586
    Options
    vanilla yogurt

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich thingies

Zone bar - honey graham

jelly beans occasionally
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    cherry drops :) (only one though)

hard boiled sweets are my new best friend ...might struggle to limit yourself to 1-a-day when necessary
  • emarose90
    Options
    Frozen Yoghurt, I couldn't live without it now!

Currently in my freezer is Yeo Valley Strawberry FroYo, 100ml at 84 calories. I only ever eat it 100ml at a time, and I find that's enough for me to satisfy that sweet craving :)

Emma x
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate!
  • tubaman58
    Options
    Fruit.... just plain fruit....:)
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love skinny cow caramel truffle bars. Only 100 calories and less than 15g sugar I think.
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    a couple of chocolate hobnobs of course!!! unhelpful but .......honest!!:happy:
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love FroYo! I like FiberOne brownie bars (chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, or chocolate chip). Special K pastry Krisps (either chocolate or cinnamon) and I'll smear one TBSP of peanut butter on it. If I want something sweet I eat it but I try to limit the calories of it.
  • chars2cents
    chars2cents Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat watermelon! Lots and lots of watermelon. It curbs the sugar and carb carvings.
    Happy Monday!
  • erinbolton
    erinbolton Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Usually fresh fruit is where I go... sometimes I will cheat and get the mini icecream cups ... the other week I gave in and had the individual serving of Ben and Jerry's that was 250 cals ... but that was all I ate, and all I allowed myself to eat. But I just found the Good Humor Chocolate Eclair Icecream Bars are only 150 cals per bar. I knew I loved them for a reason. :)
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of low cal veggies and splurge with my extra calories for something sinful. I had a hot fudge brownie sundae a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Could not eat the whole thing but I was satisfied, did not go over my daily allotment of anything and still lost weight. This helps keep me going I know not healthy like most of you guys but works for me.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I had mine pulled out years ago! :bigsmile:
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If I want something sweet, I'll eat it. No point denying them. I just make sure it's in moderation, within my calories and within my macros. Simples! :)
  • milk_shakes
    Options
    Wow everyone has such discipline! I eat light ice cream or frozen yogurt once a week, and peanut butter here and there. I splurge on beer though, once every 2 weeks and right now it's pumpkin beer season, my downfall.
    I also love to bake all winter long, it's something my son and niece and i do together so i'm not ready to give it up. and i am building recipes that use date paste or splenda and will be sharing them once theyre deemed successful
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I budget my calories to allow a small treat each day.

Here they are: a couple of Hershey's kisses, a Dove dark chocolate square, (or comparable amount from another brand), a Fruit Newton Thin (the blueberry ones taste like a blueberry muffin).

These all come in at around 50 calories.