Got really mad at the supermarket today

Options

Replies

• mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Anyone who has ever worked as a teacher in a poor community HAS to see what over processed, hormone pumped food does to a third grader. It may not cause obesity per se, but why do so many poor kids have overdeveloped, on the verge of obese, bodies? It's scary. I'm not insinuating this about any children of posters on this thread, but the above poster made me think. Not only does cheap, fast food have poor nutritional quality, but it is full of dangerous chemicals that wreak havoc on little ones. A 7 yr old should not be menstruating or have DDs. I've seen it working on the west side of Chicago, and it was not uncommon. In all fairness, we are human. We are flawed and certain flaws are more visible than others. We are all judgmental and it is easy to judge the junk food filled shopping cart as opposed to judging a functional, thin addict, for example, who hurts just as much when they are by themselves. I guess what I've learned after reading, and posting, that we are all in different stages of our own journey. Some will accomplish more, some less. It's still a journey.

That and growing research shows links between ADD/ADHD and Autism being fueled by poor diet consisting of namely processed carbohydrate-laden foods.

And, if this comes off harsh, I'm sorry, but it needs to be said:

I don't care if you're skinny or fat, eating junk and sugar on a regular basis still plays a roller coaster on your blood sugar no matter how young or old you are...unless you have a magically adapting BG level that barely spikes. It may not cause weight gain at a young age, nor at teenage years, but believe me, it catches up later in life. Why do you think the populations in Western nations are experiencing a considerable increase in T2 diabetes? Coincidence? Absolutely not. And it isn't just the heavy folk being diagnosed, oh no, it's for the thin folk, too.

Because kids "run it off" has little bearing on the fact you're still setting up a chemical dependency of bad food = good meal. I mean, sure, it's convenient, it's cheap for the most part, and your kids will scarf it down like rabid beasts, but is it really setting up good behavior? I often wonder if I have an easy time eating vegetables and "real foods" because my parents forced me to eat them or go hungry as a kid? (My demise, weight-wise, was usually the "EAT EVERYTHING OFF THE PLATE" mentality.)

If I had kids (and I don't and probably won't) I can't say I'd raise them any differently. Why cater to the "whim of the day" that kids play? I guarantee you they'll give up after a while and eat what you fix. I watch it all the time with my young relatives and young'ins I babysat and tutored back in the day. There's the "I won't eat that" drama that usually subsides when they realize A)Their parents (or I) could care less and B)Their parents don't have the time nor patience to fix another special meal. When their parents insist and reinforce the value of healthy eating, that's a double whammy. Set the good example and don't tolerate the drama tantrums...the kids eventually follow. It's cool to watch kids who were raised on junk foods try some healthy food and ENJOY it. I witnessed this with some kids I tutored in a low income area. It was really cool. See, there's really hope!

I also witness adults around me who can't stop eating junk food because it's the norm. Their parents fed it to them, they were taught "hey, it's okay - it's cheap and good!" It's the comfort food established early in life; it's what your taste buds are geared to eat. We've all probably experienced the addiction of bad foods at some point or another, so to kid yourself and say they "don't matter if you're skinny" is a little deluded, eh? Junk is junk no matter who is eating it, and it's quite addictive. And kudos to those who have the willpower to avoid it or eat it in strict moderation. You're doing yourself a HUGE favor.

And to sympathize with those who have little time to prepare meals, it's honestly just as easy to find convenient options that fit into a healthy lifestyle. $10 for 10 bags of frozen vegetables. Bagged salads, big bags of fruit (AKA nature's convenience food), frozen grilled chicken, Eggs, eggbeaters, Babybel cheeses, individually wrapped lean meats, baby carrots...I could go on for a while.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I have to disagree with the idea that nutritious food costs the same as *junk* food.
    I conducted an experiment this summer when we were having a big fish fry.
    I went to Wal Mart and bought only the junk....chips, desserts, pop,etc....8 bags of groceries for $68 and I didn't bag the pop!
    Went to Harris Teeter for the vegetables, fruit, fish, etc.....8 bags of groceries for $162!!!! AND I *saved* over $40 with coupons, buy one/get one free specials, etc.
    Proved to myself once and for all, the junk is not only more convenient..it IS cheaper.
  • mdale2
    Options
    I have to disagree with the idea that nutritious food costs the same as *junk* food.
    I went to Wal Mart and bought only the junk....chips, desserts, pop,etc....8 bags of groceries for $68 and I didn't bag the pop!
    Went to Harris Teeter for the vegetables, fruit, fish, etc.....8 bags of groceries for $162!!!! AND I *saved* over $40 with coupons, buy one/get one free specials, etc.
    Proved to myself once and for all, the junk is not only more convenient..it IS cheaper.

I guess it also depends on where your food is coming from and how you're buying it. I'm sure many here extol the virtues of buying in bulk or buying produce from local markets or bulk food sources (myself included). Line up a standard supermarket receipt for produce with that of a market and you'll probably notice a discrepancy, unless you're comparing local / organic to standard non-organic. Serving size and cost/use needs to be considered, too. Many who buy in bulk and cook in advance, freeze / store food seem to get by on a smaller budget than those that by portioned food (i.e. dinners, portioned diet meals). That's an analysis that could take a while - comparing direct unit cost of a packaged item to its from scratch counterpart. I'd say the savings could favor either...it all depends.

It also depends on what people are buying in general as "healthy." I suppose I define it as whole, minimally processed foods. When you stick to the basics, you can get by on a pretty frugal budget. It's when you begin to mix in the specialty foods and ethnic treats along with expensive cuts of meat that you can significantly raise your budget.

Another thing to consider is this - most other developed nations in the world spend considerably more on their grocery budget for whole, local foods and do it with gusto (*cough* FRANCE *cough*). It is an expectation of life - food is celebrated in its best form. Many here in the US have a strange fascination with cramming as much cheaply processed, calorically dense, carbohydrate dense food that we can for as little money as possible. And these foods are readily available and inexpensive thanks to government grain subsidies...

And what is the definition of true junk? I define "junk" loosely as processed food including but not limited to 100 calorie packs, Doritos, pastries, Nutrigrain bars, frozen dinners, processed meats, crackers, bagels, some breads, etc etc. Some people don't. It's all what you believe and how you eat. I bought a cart that had some junk in it for a Christmas party a few weeks ago...$67. Food for one night. My weekly budget at a farmer's market for the majority of our meals - meat, veg, sides, snacks...$55.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    i think you are being really judgemental. that is not a full cart of groceries for family for a day, let alone a week. those could possibly be snacks or replenishing the pantry or for special occasions (like, i don't know, NEW YEAR'S EVE). you have no idea what this women has at home in the manner of fresh fruits or veggies, or what her child is eating.
    dawn

**edited for spelling

Yea probably not. If these are the snacks think of what the meals are. Also obvioulsy not!!! If the child and the mother are over lbs........ hello!!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Yea probably not. If these are the snacks think of what the meals are. Also obvioulsy not!!! If the child and the mother are over lbs........ hello!!!!

this is exactly what I'm saying.

If I saw the child somewhere without the food cart and without her mother, I would have had some part of me that wondered if the child had some kind of hormone deficiency, or other medical issue. That would have been my first thought, and maybe that's still the case, but after seeing the food cart and the parent, I am relatively confident that bad nutrition is the cause. Am I 100% sure? Obviously not, but I can make logical assumptions based on a preponderance of the evidence. We all do it.

How many of us driven up to a 4 way stop sign, started through, and saw another car pull up to the same sign on your left or right? They haven't stopped yet, but they are slowing down. You're assuming based on the fact that the person is (presumably) alert behind the wheel, and that the car is slowing down, that they will stop at the sign and not plow into you. Do you KNOW this is the case? No you don't, but 99% of the time this is true, so we assume and act upon those assumptions every single day. That's all I did, in fact, I really didn't act on them at all (besides posting on here, which doesn't directly affect that person what so ever).
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

You can't compair the price of food based on the number of grocery bags you leave the store with. You can only fit a few bags of chips in a shopping bag, but you can put a lot of fresh fruits and veggie in one. Processed foods tend to come with a lot of packaging that takes up room in the bag. This argument just isn't logical IMO.
  • mdale2
    Options

You can't compair the price of food based on the number of grocery bags you leave the store with. You can only fit a few bags of chips in a shopping bag, but you can put a lot of fresh fruits and veggie in one. Processed foods tend to come with a lot of packaging that takes up room in the bag. This argument just isn't logical IMO.

Nor can you define the price you pay (medically) over time to eat junk vs. healthful foods.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options

I think the problem is that, what exactly can you prepare out of the junk food? Sure you can have Kraft Mac n' Cheese with hot dogs, but where is the nutritional value and how full are you really after eating that? The portion sizes are so small and you end up eating more calories than say making your own chili.

In the end, there is a reason why junk food is cheap. It is over processed and not very filling. Sure you can eat a whole bag of chips and feel full, but how long does that last say compared to eating an apple and PB, which will keep you fuller longer.

There are ways to shop healthy and not break the bank. Plus you can make stews, soups and chili which can be frozen and eaten another day. Who really would want to reheat Kraft Mac n' Cheese? People probably eat the whole box since one serving isn't all that much.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options

Nor can you define the price you pay (medically) over time to eat junk vs. healthful foods.

on top of that, you also have to look at what kind of "healthy" foods your buying.

buying baby carrots that are already washed is going to be more expensive than buying a bag of unwashed regular carrots.
    also, buying fruits and veggies when they're in season is going to save you money.

chocolate bar might be cheaper than a luna bar, but which is going to keep you fuller longer?
  • beckyi88
    Options
    I sure wish I had such cheap organic/healthy/nutrritious groceries where I live.
    Also wish I had the income/grocery budget where a difference of $140 (without coupons, deals) in groceries is no big deal.
    You can argue and call me stupid all you want, but that's my personal experience and since none of you were there, not sure how I am wrong about my own life? :huh:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I sure wish I had such cheap organic/healthy/nutrritious groceries where I live.
    You can argue and call me stupid all you want, but that's my personal experience and since none of you were there, not sure how I am wrong about my own life? :huh:

No one is calling you stupid. No one is denying that it is cheaper to buy junk, but how nutritious and healthy is the junk? Generally junk food doesn't keep you full longer than healthy food. Plus the nutritional value of junk isn't much. I made the point of asking what can you make with the junk food compared to vegetables, meat and fruit. I would think not much.

Where do you shop? Do you not have a grocery store? Frozen foods can be just as good as fresh if you don't have the money. Plus buying in bulk can last you longer.

If you want to eat junk, that is fine, but you aren't getting the most out of your calories and may be malnourished since you aren't getting certain vitamins.
  • beckyi88
    Options
    I find that, since I know nothing about the individual next to me--nothing about their lifestyle, health history, the particular circumstances of that purchase, etc., etc, it is really unfair to jump to conclusions just based on physical appearance. I'm sure most of the people in this group who were (or are) struggling with their weight at some time or another really appreciated the looks of scorn and derision they received from the "grocery line police" every time they went to the store.

Me, I prefer to use my time in the grocery line more productively -- looking for hot MILFs buying healthy food, expensive wine and cheeses, and fantasizing that they would invite me home with them.

This post says it best and I am now quite ashamed of myself for the amount of time I have wasted on this thread.
    Opinions are like a**es...everyone has one. They come in all shapes and sizes :tongue: doesn't make them right or wrong, better or worse....they just *are*
    my time should have been better spent than on this topic. thanks for the above post and reminder of what is important
  • beckyi88
    Options

No one is calling you stupid. No one is denying that it is cheaper to buy junk, but how nutritious and healthy is the junk? Generally junk food doesn't keep you full longer than healthy food. Plus the nutritional value of junk isn't much. I made the point of asking what can you make with the junk food compared to vegetables, meat and fruit. I would think not much.

Where do you shop? Do you not have a grocery store? Frozen foods can be just as good as fresh if you don't have the money. Plus buying in bulk can last you longer.

If you want to eat junk, that is fine, but you aren't getting the most out of your calories and may be malnourished since you aren't getting certain vitamins.

Interesting points, but why are you making assumptions that I regularly consume junk. I mentioned a one time experiment for a special event where many people were being fed. And asking whether or not I have (or unspoken KNOW) what a grocery store is, IS akin to calling me stupid.
    Now this is truly the last moment I will spend here.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I never called you stupid or wrong. I just pointed out that it wasn't a logical way to look at grocery prices. Bananas are pretty cheap. If I bought a grocery bag full of bananas, it would probaby be cheaper than a grocery bag full of chips. Using grocery bag logic, that example would show that eating healthier was cheaper.

I'm sure you had other reasons for basing your decision that the junk was cheaper. That infomation just wasn't shared.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Okay I am sorry but this has gotten ridiculous! I think we all need to go back and read the original post to remember what this thread started out talking about. There is no need for this to turn into an argument between MFP members!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Interesting points, but why are you making assumptions that I regularly consume junk. I mentioned a one time experiment for a special event where many people were being fed. And asking whether or not I have (or unspoken KNOW) what a grocery store is, IS akin to calling me stupid.
    Now this is truly the last moment I will spend here.

You do realize that in parts of this country there are not grocery stores...only corner shops or gas stations. She wasn't calling you stupid, it's a valid question.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Okay I am sorry but this has gotten ridiculous! I think we all need to go back and read the original post to remember what this thread started out talking about. There is no need for this to turn into an argument between MFP members!

conversations go stray for a reason, because everything that is being mentioned is highly relevant and sometimes the first issue isn't the issue at all.

think outside the box.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

conversations go stray for a reason, because everything that is being mentioned is highly relevant and sometimes the first issue isn't the issue at all.

think outside the box.

Under no circumstances is arguing to the point someone is offended constructive or positive. Running someone off is not healthy neither is making assumptions. And what do you mean think outside the box? You don't me or how I think!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

think outside the box.

Under no circumstances is arguing to the point someone is offended constructive or positive. Running someone off is not healthy neither is making assumptions. And what do you mean think outside the box? You don't me or how I think!

And yet you're arguing with Loathesome.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

think outside the box.

And yet you're arguing with Loathesome.

Are you serious? You know what yall go ahead and be negative! I am a better person than to attack anyone. I will pray for you.

God Bless.