Eat Healthy; Get Fit; Lose 100+ New Group 1st Weigh in Jan.

Options
I just wanted to get this started for the early birds tomorrow. I am excited to start this challenge with all who join.

Kim

Replies

• getnhealthy101
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Anumie23
    Anumie23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm so in!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Tagging for the morning. Yay!
  • AsianTexan
    AsianTexan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I need to lose another 130lbs.
  • chris_spencer
    Options
    i am in i need help
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    Hi. I am so glad people are joining. I just hooked up my new wii fit plus. I think that is going to be a good way to help get this body moving. Anyone else have wii fit plus?

Kim
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have both........ another 100 lbs to lose and i also got a wii fit plus for christmas.

I'm at 240.2 now, started August 26 at 301, but I would sure love to find myself closing in on 140 by the end of 2010.

nice to meet you all- katie
  • becca2010
    Options
    Inspiring stats, katielouhoo! You're one of my new role models!

This group is just what I need. I just joined the site this afternoon-- was looking for a way to track my eating and get some accountability and support without paying "that other weight loss organization" $40 a month... and here you all are! Yay!
  • stringbean10
    stringbean10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes! Im ready for this, been waiting too long!! Thanks! Good to meet all of you!
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Well today is the day. I weighed in this morning at 294.5. I keep a weigh in chart in my bathroom so I can write it down after I weigh. I looked back and I have gained about 14 lbs this year. Let's hope next January I am seeing how much I have LOST in a year. I am really going to try and focus on 10 lbs at a time. If I focus on the whole picture it just seems impossible, kwim?

katielouhoo---please share with us have you have done so well. I need lots of motivation!

Do y'all want to have weekly challenges? If so, throw some suggestions out there. Also, I started this group, but it is all of ours group so please feel free to start the new weeks, make suggestions, etc.

Good luck!!!

Kim
  • marlemcdougal
    marlemcdougal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,

My starting weigh in is 310.5. I am adding my measurements too so that I have a starting point, and something to keep me honest.

Biceps=18"
    Chest=52.5"
    Upper Stomach Area unfortunately I have two guts :) 54"
    Lower Stomach Area 56"
    Upper thigh 30"

I think our challenge for the week should be excercise related. The whole point to losing weight is so we can all be healthier, and we can start with that now regardless of our weight. Maybe the goal this week should be to do some form of cardio 3 times this week for at least 30 minutes. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a walk around the block would suffice. What do you think ?
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    I think that cardio 3 times this week is a great idea. I really need to concentrate on that. I also need to increase my water intake.

Btw, I am going to try and edit my topic to put in the dates 1/1/10 - 1/10/10. It will be for a week and a half, but it will get us caught up so that we can start new threads on Mondays.

Kim

edited: nevermind, it will not let me do that.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Well, i started with a shake by my doctor, when i went in last august. i was told i needed to make an appointment with the diabetic clinic. my weight was 301 and my sugars out of control.:noway: i just didn't want to live like that. so i told the doctor i would be dieting instead. (i don't think he believed me.)

I took my youngest daughter off to college came home and got started august 26. i am dieting more severely than mfp recommends. my doctor suggested 1000 calories a day.

2 weeks after starting to diet, i joined a gym and started water aerobics 3 times a week. (i have a bad knee and can work better in water) 2 weeks after that i got a trainer at the gym to get me started on the weight machines, i started at about 20 minutes and have added to about an hour. We all need some weight bearing exercise and i also felt i needed to be toning muscles that i was building. So, i have been doing that 3 alternate days that i'm not in the pool.

my first big goal was the early november visit to the doctor. i had lost 35 lbs and he was really impressed that i was doing so well. so he asked me to come back in february with hopes i would lose another 25 lbs by then (ha!). :wink: i'm there already the next month of dieting is bonus!

For Christmas i got the wii fit plus. One thing i haven't been doing as much of is regular stretching. And we sometimes get ugly winter weather that might keep me from the gym. So the wii will help with those areas.

You asked what i've been doing. well, a bit long winded, but mostly working my a** off.:bigsmile: i can honestly say i have not eaten anything fried since august. i have had a couple of days close to 1200 calories (today will be like that, big party here) but with the exercise i'm still way ahead of the game.

Nothing will taste as good as i feel now. i just refuse to allow myself to be tempted. it is all about choice. i choose to go exercise, not watch tv; i choose to stop at one glass of wine, not 3; i choose to have a cup of tea/coffee, not dessert; etc.
    i am frugal with calories, but do work to get to 1000; so i often can have a less than 100 calorie snack in the evenings and i keep several in the house to choose from (even 10 calorie jello cups for days i am really too close to eat more, just want something).

i'm fortunate that my husband has been very supportive. :smooched: He could stand to lose weight too. And though he is not actively dieting, he is willing to eat lower calorie meals in the evenings with me. He has been proud of my work so far, it helps.

i love to share and try new recipes and helpful foods anyone wants to share. like: since coming on mfp i learned about "flat out" flatbread (only 90 calories each lower than most tortillas) and vita-muffins, vita-tops 100 calorie muffins in the freezer section terrific healthy high fiber, low fat & sodium. every few calories not eaten will come off "in the end".:laugh:

thanks for the compliment, i am very happy with me these days. :blushing: -katie
  • Anumie23
    Anumie23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR! let's get this ball rolling. I started the site 3 weeks ago and i weighed 277LBS.

Today I weighed in, i'm starting this challenge at 265.2LBS.

12LBS in 3 weeks good stuff!

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Athena
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    Way to go Athena!!!

Thanks for sharing Katie. You are doing great!

I just finished 37 minutes on my wii fit plus.

Kim
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I would like to join your group. I weighed in this AM at 252.8. I needed to lose 100 lbs when I joined 12/28/10. I have struggled with losing weight since I have had my two wonderful children. After my daughter I almost got down to size 14-16 but since having my son in 2005 I have struggled. I have tried low carb. diet and Weight Watches. I got down to @ 200 but gained the weight back both times. I need support I know I can't do this alone! I'm just getting my will power back, I'm committed and ready for THE change! I want ME back!

My only question is how do I find this thread to report back? Still trying to find my way around here.

355091.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Alright, I'm at 229.8 this week which is actually up 0.6 from last week but I had a lot of sodium yesterday (and 2 glasses of wine) so I'm sure I'll be back down in a couple days. :smile:
    I started September 8, 2009 at somewhere over 270.
  • becca2010
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the keys to your success so far, Katie! I love reading stories like that, and I'm inspired that you started around the same weight I am and are old enough to have a daughter in college.

I've never been part of a group like this, but speaking just for myself I don't really want assigned weekly challenges because I think I'd be overwhelmed and setting myself up for failure to try and make too many changes at once, since I'm just starting. My first focus is just to record what I'm eating-- one thing at a time-- will add in exercise later. Wii Fit sounds very fun, though!

I'd just like a place where we can check in with weigh-in updates, share simple healthy meal ideas (especially budget-conscious ones!), hear from those who are succeeding about how they're doing it, and without digressing TOO much, maybe talking a bit about what's going on in our heads and hearts and daily lives and just getting to know one another as supportive friends.

Having said that, of course, if the rest of you guys want to create group challenges, go for it!

PS - I got a new scale from Amazon that arrived yesterday afternoon and it's really awesome in terms of giving consistent readings... and only $28! I think it's called the EatSmart scale, if I remember right. And the good news is, my weight on this first morning of my weight loss program was about 6 pounds less than I thought it was! : D
  • becca2010
    Options
    Wow, I just noticed that jlb123 and Athena are also losing weight really fast! This is so inspiring!!

I'm curious to know, especially from those having success, are you allowing yourself to eat whatever you want as long as you stay under a calorie limit-- or do you just try to mostly eat healthy-- or are you trying to keep carbs low or anything like that?
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I'm eating mostly healthy (and by healthy I mean, high quality calories). Veggies, fruits, lean meat (mainly chicken but I also eat very lean ground beef & other beef cuts very occasionally), and whole grains. I pretty much stay away from things in the grocery store labeled "diet" or "low fat." Generally, those foods are a total waste of calories. Learn to read your nutrition labels and choose foods that are high quality -- make your calories count. Don't waste 100 calories on a pack of wafer thin cookies. I do allow myself to have treats, and if I'm really craving something super bad (like fast food or pizza or ice cream or whatever) I generally allow myself to have some in *moderation* if I can do it without going over my calories. I definitely don't believe in depriving myself because I've done that before and I can't stick with it. :smile: Maybe once a month I've had a total splurge meal -- it usually involves very cheesy Mexican food (yummmmmm). :laugh: I just stay off the scale for a few days after that because the sodium in Mexican food will completely murder a weigh-in.

I've also tried to cut things out of my diet so that I'm eating "cleaner." I'm not a huge fan of frozen dinners or canned soups because of their questionable ingredients & high sodium content. I pay attention to preservatives (for example, I switched to natural peanut butter). I've also started paying lots of attention to my sodium intake & try to keep it under 2000mg/day and I keep my carbs around 50% (I think MFP automatically sets you at 55% which I'm sure is fine, I just wanted to eat a tiny bit more protein because it keeps me from being hungry).

I also try to do some kind of exercise every day & in general, I do about 60 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week, 30 minutes of cardio 2-3 days a week. Occasionally I'll do 90-120 minutes of cardio in a day. I add in some strength training when I can.

Basically, I've just been figuring out what works for me as I go. I read a lot of the posts in the forums on MFP to learn and get recipe ideas & stuff.