Eat Healthy; Get Fit; Lose 100+ New Group 1st Weigh in Jan.

Options

Replies

• Brandywithrow
    Options
    Hey everyone I would love to join this group I am weighting today at 248.4 (up a little from the holidays) but would like to be somewhere between 170 and 140? depending on how I look at 170 since I havent been that size since grade 8 I have no idea what I would look like! I wish everyone the best of luck and think we are all a step in the right direction to our goal weight! My motivation is my son who is turning 1 this weekend I want to be able to do all the things my mom never did with me, also I have plans to join the military (but not until I feel I can pass boot camp) so I am gearing my workout towards things that will train me for boot camp (running, pushing, sit, ups, swimming ect)
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    hello everyone :happy:

Before starting MFP i weighed 245...managed to drop down to 209...lots of hard work and dedication...and willpower!
    I make my own meals...wholegrain, lots of fruits and veggies (sometimes i precut them that way when i am hungry they are the first thing i aim for), and lots of lean meats and poultry..grill chicken breast is a big hit with my family.
    i am still learning to drink my water...but overall i am doing ok
    i am set on 1300 calories a day and to workout 30 minutes 3-4 days a week to lose 2 lbs a week, some weeks are better than others...

as of friday 1/1/10 i am 209...i plan to be 150 by October 4, my 33 birthday...We can do this once and for all!!!...
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I'd like to join if youdon't mind or have opening still.
  • HealthyMom4MyKids
    Options
    Wow!! I am so excited so many people are joining this group. Now we all just have to stick with it!!!

jlb---you are full of great info. so glad to have you hear.

drborkbork---I think planning meals 2 weeks in advance is a great idea. I would love to hear your meals. I will send you a pm with my email.

I have a question. I am going to cook a roast in the crock pot tomorrow. The only thing I am putting in the pot is a can of frenc onion soup for seasoning. Is there a way to determine the calories for the roast based on a serving size? What would be a serving size for the roast?

Thanks!

Kim
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think a serving size of beef is (is it a beef roast?) is 3 oz or about the size of a deck of cards.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone.

when i need to calculate calories in foods i usually use sparkpeople.com
    they have a recipe calculator. enter ingredients, portion size and they'll tell you how many calories you are consuming.
    (and it will give you a chance to modify once you see the calories, if you need too.)

-katie
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Kim, easiest way to determine your roast is know exactly what kind of roast you're throwing in there. Boston rump? Country shoulder? Bone in? Boneless? If you know that, you can go into the MFP database and look it up. Remember that there are 16 oz in a pound. Use that to determine how many people are in your family for an even split. If there are 4 people in your family, and the roast is 2 lbs (32 oz), then each person will get 8 oz. You should probably try sticking to a 4 oz serving for yourself. Also keep in mind what else you're throwing in the pot, and log that too. Then you'll get all your nutritional facts.

HTH!
  • getnhealthy101
    Options
    Just reading thru everyon'e comments, trying to catch up on the last couple of days. Dr. BjorkBork, thanks for the stir fry recipe. Last year, my top weight reached 225; I have been reading a lot on nutrition and changing my eating habits to a healthier menu....lots of vegs and whole grains, smaller meat portion, no sodas, I switched to Soy Milk, and basically tried to remain conscious of what I am eating. Last year I made it down to 208, but really don't believe I was committed. I love this site....I think it is the encouragement I need. I started on this site at 208 lbs and waist 45.5". I've already lost 1.5 inches in my waist (that makes me happy) and just 2 pounds. I need to escalate that some. Thanks to you all just for checking in.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    getnhealthy, have you tried rice & almond milk? Soy milk is good, rice milk is too (slightly thinner consistency than soy milk), and almond milk is my favorite! It has the consistency of 1-2% milk, and a very mild flavor. Tastes good on just about everything!

We're having taco salad for dinner tonight. I'll be finishing off my veggie chili with it, and my swiss cheese from Christmas. Can't wait!

Tomorrow is homemade pizza. 6" mountain of fresh veggies, baked to perfection. MMMM!
  • becca2010
    Options
    Trish, thanks for that easy stir-fry recipe, I'm going to make it tonight. The pizza, taco salad and vegetarian chili sound great, too, if you ever have time to post... : )

Well, I've done the elevated (1800) calories for 3 days and am down almost 4 pounds, so I'm going to stick with it awhile longer to see how it goes.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Here ya go!

HARVEST HOME VEGGIE CHILI

Ingredients
    Veggie chili:

Ingredients:
    rainbow bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange, 1 green)
    2 zucchini
    1 yellow squash
    4 potatoes
    1 can kidney beans, rinsed
    1 can corn
    1 can diced tomatoes (I like to use the cilantro & lime flavor)
    1 can Hunts zesty spaghetti sauce

Bring large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile chop/dice/cube/slice potatoes, squash, zucchini, and bell peppers. Throw in pot, add kidney beans. Allow to boil until potatoes are soft. Drain, return to pot. Add corn, diced tomatoes, and sauce, cook until warm. Top with cheddar, sour cream, salsa, and all your favorite chili fixins. Serve with tortilla chips or corn bread. Browned, drained ground beef may be added to recipe if desired.

The prep time on this is killer, because of all the chopping, but once you get it into the pot, it pretty much takes care of itself.

HOMEMADE SUPREMELY AWESOME PIZZA

You can either buy your crust, or make this low sodium one I found:
    2 t Active dry yeast
    3 1/2 c Bread Flour
    1 1/2 c Water
    2 t Honey
    2 T Olive Oil

Place ingredients in bread machine in order specified by manufacturer and process on dough cycle. Turn out the dough onto a floured board. At this point you may form the pizzas, or refrigerate the dough for several hours, well wrapped in plastic so it won't dry out. (Although a refrigerator rest is not necessary, it makes the dough easier to handle.) Makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas, or two 10-inch thick-crust pizzas. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned around the edges. Top as desired and return to oven until cheese is melted and crust browned, about 15 minutes total.

Andy won't let me make the crust, so here's what we did with ours:

1 Mama Mary's Thin & Crispy Crust (got ours at walmart)
    1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 can sliced, pitted olives, rinsed
    1 sweet onion
    2 Tomatoes
    1 Can Pizza Sauce (also got from Walmart, check labels for lowest sodium one!)
    1 pack fresh sliced mushrooms (available in produce dept)
    1 bag shredded cheese (also check sodium-- tillamook seems to be the best)
    1 can pineapple

Lay crust on baking sheet. Sauce lightly. Measure 1 cup cheese & sprinkle. Pile up all the yummy things! Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake as directed on crust package.

Prep time for premade crust: 5 mins
    Calorie damage: 700 cals for HALF the pizza! ZOW! Amazing, right? The sodium on this one is a little high, but a real treat. You won't want to get take out again (we sure don't!)
    The low sodium crust is higher in cals, but has 25% less sodium.

Remember, you can always tap me for recipe ideas. I'll tell ya what we're having for the week if you want, and give you the recipes.
  • becca2010
    Options
    YUMMMMMMM, Trish! Keep 'em coming! I was going to try the stir-fry tonight but ran out of time before work (I work late shift). I will definitely be trying all of these, though. I love how simple they sound.
  • getnhealthy101
    Options
    Trish, No, I haven't tried rice or almond milk, but I will. I've been buying the Silk light. I like it. I made some homemade soup tonight tonight. Had small chucks of beef, squash, sweet potato, carrots, celery, gr pepper, corn, green beans, peas, onions,....it was really good. Made a whole big pot, so guess I'll be eating soup all week! :laugh:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Watching Fraggles with my DD. There's a great song on, sung by Cantus.

"Worry less about who I am & worry more about who you are. You could be a great King. You could be a coward. You could be the kind of kid who teaches us to sing. You could be whatever your little heart desires. You could be a walkin, talkin, breathin ball of FIRE!"

Remember: at the end of the day, IT'S A CHOICE!

I choose to be the last part! I hope you do too.

Night now ;)

P.S. The rest of the inspiring lyrics can be found here:
    http://www.punchandjewelry.com/legacy/html/lyrics/lyr75.htm
  • becca2010
    Options
    Cheri, I have a question for you now... when you make soup, how do you figure the calories? Making soup seems like a tasty way to get in more vegetables.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    becca you can google and look for a calorie counter then enter all the ingredients and figure out the serving size and it will tell you what you recipe has for caloriers ect per serving.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Cheri, I have a question for you now... when you make soup, how do you figure the calories? Making soup seems like a tasty way to get in more vegetables.

Hey Becca, I found a great website that calculated all the ingredients You plug in to make soup ( for example 1 cup of carrots) and how many servings of the soup...all the guess work is figured out...i found the webstie in the recipe thread:

here is the website: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php?process=resubmit&count=55

best of luck!:bigsmile:
  • marlemcdougal
    marlemcdougal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

Thanks for the input on the excercise calories. I think I have decided to eat some of my calories, and try to save some. I'll just see how it goes in the next couple weeks, and adjust accordingly. Sometimes after a hard workout I really am hungry and will probably need to use some of the extra calories.

Thanks for the great recipes that have been posted to the site. They sound delicious, and I will be trying them very soon.
    I usually work from home (best gig in the world), but will need to start going in every night for the next few months. My challenge is going to be not eating all the junk sitting on everyone's desks, and not to give into the easy fast food dinner on my way into work. I am going to try very hard to plan my menu for the week ahead of time. This way my kids will also get a good healthy meal when their Dad is watching them at night.

P.S. I'm down a few pounds this week. Hopefully not all water weight loss :)

153953.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    You guys are quiet today. What's going on with everyone?

We are having homemade pizza for dinner. I am making the crust myself for the first time. I hope it turns out ok.
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    Hi, my name is Karen. Can I join in? I just joined this site January 1st and weighed in at 287.5. Back in September, we started a weight loss challenge at work. I weighed in at 291, the most I've ever weighed. I fininshed the competition in November at 281. Of course with the holidays, I gained some of it back. I really want to make a change, not just for a couple months, but for a lifetime. I've stayed within my calories the last 4 days since I joined, but my food choices haven't been extremely great. Still need to work on it, and also to add some exercise in, because I haven't done that yet. A short term goal would be to lose 10 pounds by the end of February. (Is that reasonable??) My long term goal would be to weigh under 200 pounds, and beyond that! I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!