Christian Grey....

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it didn't accurately portray the scene as I know it. Besides, it was written at something like an 8th grade level.

If that's eighth grade level, eighth graders have gotten a lot dumber since I was 14.

Haha. That's fair. I felt like typing "6th grade", but thought maybe I was being too harsh.

I may not be the best person for judging, since I was watching and understanding Shakespeare when I was 5 (I may barely be able to add 2+2, but English is my thing!), but Alice in Wonderland is written much better and at a much higher level than 50 Shades, and I read that when I was 7, so about second grade.

Oh, Carroll was brilliant! "Don't step on the mome raths."

That and Black Beauty are my all-time favorite books.

I had a leather-bound copy of BB with all the original illustrations since I was probably 5 or 6 and sometime in the last year, it disappeared from my house. I suspect one of my daughter's former friends. Grrrr.
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options

That and Black Beauty are my all-time favorite books.

I had a leather-bound copy of BB with all the original illustrations since I was probably 5 or 6 and sometime in the last year, it disappeared from my house. I suspect one of my daughter's former friends. Grrrr.

Gotta lock up the good ones. :)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    644124_359191574162617_1999984767_n.jpg

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice

That is all...
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There's free smut online that's far more well-written than this pos...
    I mean, it was originally published as Twilight fanfiction, that should explain it all but, GAH! D:
  • Daniellealaine
    Options
    Wow my first post and it's going to be about 50 shades?!
    I read all 3 and I definitely had to "dumb down". The first one was ok, the second one was a chore and the third one was like a cruel punishment to get through. I forced myself to finish them and then wondered why?
    Now they say there will be a movie? Smh!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I don't find him attractive at all.
    Abusive? Sure.
    Attractive? No.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Wow my first post and it's going to be about 50 shades?!
    I read all 3 and I definitely had to "dumb down". The first one was ok, the second one was a chore and the third one was like a cruel punishment to get through. I forced myself to finish them and then wondered why?
    Now they say there will be a movie? Smh!

First of all a movie version is just horrifying & I wish Hollywood would spare us all. Secondly, my friend told me it's rumored they want Ryan Gosling to play Christian Grey...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-EV4PriTzVvDQt3aebq6GIhD4XCMKbpSKo2uDk1IjuqZnk59P2A
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Abusive? Sure.
    Attractive? No.

That, apart from the writing level, is what bugs me so much about it. It grossly misrepresents the... lifestyle? Physical and mental sexual style? Whatever it is, it misrepresents it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Abusive? Sure.
    Attractive? No.

That, apart from the writing level, is what bugs me so much about it. It grossly misrepresents the... lifestyle? Physical and mental sexual style? Whatever it is, it misrepresents it.

I don't know anything about BDSM but if I judged it based on this book I'd say it's highly abusive and for mentally disturbed people only.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't get the hype over these books. My understanding is that it was written as a Twilight fanfiction and the author changed the names in order to get it published.

I remember reading the actual fanfic some years ago and sadly not much has changed since it has been published. The writing is terrible and honestly I felt dumber after reading the first chapter.

Thank God I borrowed the book from someone instead of feeding into the hype. Just awful.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Abusive? Sure.
    Attractive? No.

I don't know anything about BDSM but if I judged it based on this book I'd say it's highly abusive and for mentally disturbed people only.

I haven't read the book but everyone in BDSM has different things. Some 'vanilla' people may view a relationship as abusive when the couple has a deep understand of what it is to them and both find it fulfilling and NOT abusive. I would have to read this to see though. :grumble:
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    644124_359191574162617_1999984767_n.jpg

Love this!!! Perfect! i agree 100% Couldn't even finish the 3rd.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I'll just drop this nugget of awesome here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on this book.

The problem with that review is that it makes me want to read the books so I can laugh at them. And I don't want the publisher getting any of my money!!!

You don't have to read it, check out this blogger who graciously sacrificed herself to read the entire thing. She gives a chapter by chapter "blow by blow" of the whole catastrophe, I mean, "book". Its pretty funny, that way you don't have to waste the money!

http://jenniferarmintrout.blogspot.com/p/jen-reads-50-shades-of-grey.html?zx=d3d04c0b3681813b
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I read that Justin bieber was approached to play Christian Grey......seriously

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Abusive? Sure.
    Attractive? No.

Amen to that.

Also, most of the bondage is complete and total amateur hour, and the nature of their power exchange is just...wrong.
  • DaraEden
    DaraEden Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ...is an emotionally abusive psychopath from the worst "novel" I've ever had the displeasure of getting halfway through.

Just sayin'

This!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'll just drop this nugget of awesome here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on this book.

The problem with that review is that it makes me want to read the books so I can laugh at them. And I don't want the publisher getting any of my money!!!

You don't have to read it, check out this blogger who graciously sacrificed herself to read the entire thing. She gives a chapter by chapter "blow by blow" of the whole catastrophe, I mean, "book". Its pretty funny, that way you don't have to waste the money!

http://jenniferarmintrout.blogspot.com/p/jen-reads-50-shades-of-grey.html?zx=d3d04c0b3681813b

O.M.G. Hi-larious! But it's having the same effect so far. I just have to read these books. They're just too funny to me now! But I will NOT buy them!
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was going to type this long, eloquent post on my feelings on "Fifty Shades of Grey" and its obviously psychologically disturbed male lead, and the overly antiquated view on the female submissive role, but instead I will use language the average Fifty Shades reader will appreciate.

I don't like it cuz I thought it was stoopid.

Christian Grey needs a shrink, and a prison sentence.
  • 21diqsy.gif

(this gif has basically become my only response to anything having to do with 50 Shades because it is a perfect and accurate description of my feelings without having to actually use words.)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say but I am right there with you.. I am in love with the 50 Shades of Grey books! And for all the people who say that they couldn't get past the first book, my favorite book was the 3rd one! Keep reading, it only gets better!
    Oh, I thought the first one was decent, the second was tolerable, but the third was ridiculously repetitive (as were the first two, but by number three, I was BEYOND over it), predictable, and, honestly, not worth the time it took me to read it.