Christian Grey....

Options

Replies

• Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Taht was the STUPIDEST, most trite, ludicrous, poorly and awkwardly-written book I have EVER started to read! I say "started" because I refused to finish the piece of literary *kitten*.

I weep for the future, and every bonehead out there with rock-bottom standards in books.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think some of the people posting are forgetting that these books are fiction. Like all fiction they will not appeal to everyone and that's OK. I also don't think they represent the BDSM community and that they were not intended to. They are a fun escape from the normal day to day life, what I like about a good mindless book to read. I read all 3 and I agree that the sex scenes got replayed over and over but overalll I enjoyed the 3 books of FICTION.

Of course not all fiction appeals to everyone. I can't get past the first chapter of Moby ****, but that doesn't mean it's poorly written. I also can't read Jane Austen. There's a HUGE difference between, "This just isn't my taste," and, "This is horrible writing."

The first is totally subjective. The second is objective. Objectively, even if you enjoyed the books, you cannot -- with a straight face, anyway -- tell me you thought the writing was good!

I'm sure many people WOULD argue this. These days people don't understand what good literature is. They think if it's enjoyable it's good but that's not how it works.

Technically this is a horribly written book and it shouldn't have been published in the first place.
    Clearly many, many people found it enjoyable, but this is DESPITE the writing not because of it.

*sigh*

I know. And it makes me very sad. :-(
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think it didn't accurately portray the scene as I know it. Besides, it was written at something like an 8th grade level.

If that's eighth grade level, eighth graders have gotten a lot dumber since I was 14.

The writing is at about the same level as my 3rd grader...but then I have a 5th grader that reads at a high school level, so I may have a distored idea about reading levels. I do know that in 3rd grade my daughter is just about as repetitive in her writing as in 50 shades of gray.
  • juli_jones
    juli_jones Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Christian Grey is an insufferable, abusive *kitten* with NO redeeming qualities, whatsoever.

^^ THIS!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'll just drop this nugget of awesome here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on this book.

Excellent review!! This person saved me precious money & time! And she made me laugh too!
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    love love love love loveeeeee him.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    ...is an emotionally abusive psychopath from the worst "novel" I've ever had the displeasure of getting halfway through.

Just sayin'

You read more than I did. I made it a few pages when my brain started protesting the horrors of the words forced together awkwardly on the pages. It wasn't a novel, it was a word hostage situation.
    internet-memes-dethroned-by-its-own-fan-fiction.jpg

Haha yes!

The story is so poorly written, people are acting like this is a "break through". If I'm not mistaken, it's Kristen Stewart playing the lead girl in the movie version of this, she's doign a GREAT job setting womens rights back by playing parts of a female who lets guys walk all over her and control her every move and being so madly in love with it.

Also, more importantly... there's much better written, kinkier, and interesting things written FOR FREE MIGHT I ADD... online.
  • Berlykay01
    Options
    I started reading these only because they were pulled from library shelves..I had to find out what all the hype was about. I found some of it to be repetative and annoying I am on the 3rd book only to finally find out what happens....I truly hope its a good ending....
    I'm not in love with this fictional character....I would have told Mr. Grey to take a flying leap a long time ago...
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    :laugh: threads like these remind me why I've never wasted my money on it.

Does anybody have better books that they would suggest?
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options

The internet. It's free.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I started reading these only because they were pulled from library shelves..I had to find out what all the hype was about. I found some of it to be repetative and annoying I am on the 3rd book only to finally find out what happens....I truly hope its a good ending....
    I'm not in love with this fictional character....I would have told Mr. Grey to take a flying leap a long time ago...

They were pulled from library shelves? I would support this. If only because they are a mockery to literature. :P
  • rml_16
    Options

Along the same genre or in general?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    ...is an emotionally abusive psychopath from the worst "novel" I've ever had the displeasure of getting halfway through.

Just sayin'

^^Ditto! I have serious concerns about how many women are going to be damaged by this series. I am a counselor and very knowledgable from training as well as life experience. These men do NOT change, do not become loving human beings. They kill your soul. This is not to say that some sex play with bondage / passivity isn't fun, but Christian Grey and fun safe sex play are NOT the same.

Not only will women be damaged, they will have less support from those around them as society comes to accept abuse as a valid form of "love" and increasinly the victim becomes the one to blame for the situation. After all, he's only hurting her because he loves her, why is she unhappy about that? Much in the same mentality that lets men off the hook for rape because she wasn't wearing panties, so she wanted it.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

Either one. I just finished the last of the books I've recently bought and I'm completely open to new suggestions. I've never read anything even close to 'erotica' though (closest is Triangles by Ellen Hopkins - far from erotica or anything similar) so I wouldn't even know where to start in that genre.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    My fear is that one day that is all there will be to read self published books that demean women.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Just sayin'

^^Ditto! I have serious concerns about how many women are going to be damaged by this series. I am a counselor and very knowledgable from training as well as life experience. These men do NOT change, do not become loving human beings. They kill your soul. This is not to say that some sex play with bondage / passivity isn't fun, but Christian Grey and fun safe sex play are NOT the same.

Not only will women be damaged, they will have less support from those around them as society comes to accept abuse as a valid form of "love" and increasinly the victim becomes the one to blame for the situation. After all, he's only hurting her because he loves her, why is she unhappy about that? Much in the same mentality that lets men off the hook for rape because she wasn't wearing panties, so she wanted it.

I can deal with crappy writing if the characters are interesting, but the most sickening part about this book was exactly what you're talking about.

It is very disturbing to me how many women find Christian "sexy." He's abusive, manipulative, cruel, possessive, and just awful. Anastasia not only tolerating but idolizing his behavior out of some sick self-loathing issue. I just found the relationship dynamic to be far too disturbing.

P.S. Sorry for the overuse of the word, "disturbing," but it seems to be the most appropriate term to me.
  • rml_16
    Options

Either one. I just finished the last of the books I've recently bought and I'm completely open to new suggestions. I've never read anything even close to 'erotica' though (closest is Triangles by Ellen Hopkins - far from erotica or anything similar) so I wouldn't even know where to start in that genre.

Well, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Candace Bushnell is a fantastic writer (Sex and the City). I've read Sex and the City (which is very different from the show), Four Blondes and I just finished One Fifth Avenue. I couldn't get into Lipstick Jungle, though. I also just read all three of the Bridget Jones books -- LOVED them. If you haven't read Harry Potter, you are missing out majorly. I have JK's latest on pre-order from Amazon, due out next week so I can let you know!

If you look me up on Goodreads.com (rml_16), I have a whole list of books and what I thought of them.

Oh, also Les Miserables, while incredibly depressing, is one of the best books I ever read.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

Well, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Candace Bushnell is a fantastic writer (Sex and the City). I've read Sex and the City (which is very different from the show), Four Blondes and I just finished One Fifth Avenue. I couldn't get into Lipstick Jungle, though. I also just read all three of the Bridget Jones books -- LOVED them. If you haven't read Harry Potter, you are missing out majorly. I have JK's latest on pre-order from Amazon, due out next week so I can let you know!

If you look me up on Goodreads.com (rml_16), I have a whole list of books and what I thought of them.

Oh, also Les Miserables, while incredibly depressing, is one of the best books I ever read.

I haven't read Harry Potter or even seen beyond the first movie.. maybe I'll have to reconsider. Thank you, though! That's extremely helpful :flowerforyou:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I'm a huge fan of the first five of the vampire series by Anne Rice: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned, Tale of the Body Thief, and Memnoch the Devil. The Witching Hour series is also wonderful. She also penned a series of erotic novels under A. N. Roquelaure. They were well-written, but the content wasn't something I found appealing. If you've not read Interview with the Vampire and like good characters and fantasy fiction, you'd enjoy it, I think.

I also really love James Thurber novels as well. They are still witty and lighthearted now.

I'm in the middle of the Game of Thrones series now, which is just wonderful also.