Online relationships

Options
I've been single for so many years and haven't really had any confidence to ask someone out. Recently I found someone on here who lit up my world, and we fell so in love. She's in the USA and I'm in the UK. We talked every day for up to 4 hours! Although we knew it was unlikely we'd ever meet it was great. Now it looks like it's going to end as she wants more than I can give her, as I can't move to the US and she can't move over here. Do people think that online/phone relationships can work?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe that online/phone relationships would ever work. I would want to see the person I was in the relationship with.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm proof it CAN work. I've been seeing my fiance for three years nearly. We met online. Constant contact(ask my friends) I'm very happy. Now, I don't get to see him as often as I'd like....

But truthfully, if you love somebody enough a few sacrifices are worth it.

I WOULD indeed make sure to get a clear idea of who can/will move or not move before you get too serious into things. It's silly to get into something knowing that situation will NEVER change.
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to travel once in awhile, then I do not see why it is not possible.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you really need to set forth the "Who will relocate" expectation before you get that serious. Or it really sucks. I've been there.
  • Eddie274
    Options
    I had a few problems in my late teens and the result of those is that I won't get a visa.
  • Eddie274
    Options
    WE thought she would move over here, but the wrench of leaving her kids in the US, no matter what the age is too much for her to take
  • corn63
    Options
    WE thought she would move over here, but the wrench of leaving her kids in the US, no matter what the age is too much for her to take

Oh, yeah, that'd be really really tough:(
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i definitely believe there's a difference between online relationships and online/long distance. you can meet online, sure, but you have to be able to actually meet in person and feel the chemistry in person. and to make it last, both parties have to want to make it work. you can't sustain an online relationship without meeting, and you can't sustain a long distance relationship for years on end without knowing if there's an end-date to reunite...just my $.02, having been in an online/long distance relationship, with very few in person visits, every day calls, but just not enough...and not much of a spark either.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had a long distance relationship for over a year, I moved across the country to be with him. I did it with no doubts and i couldn't be happier. When you know you know. Good luck to you both! :)
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I had a few problems in my late teens and the result of those is that I won't get a visa.

If you were a juvenile when you had the problems, and they don't involve drug charges or murder, you possibly can get a visa.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. For me it can never work because I'm a very sexual, touchy-feely person.

I think it means someone must sacrifice. In the long run, one person would have to leave their home country so that the relationship can work, it can't be offline forever.

I know people who had this work very well for them and others who didn't, it depends on the couple involved.
  • Eddie274
    Options
    I was 17 and convictions are at 18. Spoke to the Embassy and they've told me no way. :-(
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you're serious, speak to an immigration lawyer.

When you say spoke to the embassy, do you mean in person, or the premium rate phone line? I'm assuming the phone line, which is notorious for giving poor information.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you really need to set forth the "Who will relocate" expectation before you get that serious. Or it really sucks. I've been there.

Bish please... you should have moved and we'd be happy. HAPPY!
  • Eddie274
    Options
    yep it was the phone line, and I was on hold for 20 minutes! Will look for a lawyer, cheers. There is nothing I wouldn't do to be with her.
  • corn63
    Options

Bish please... you should have moved and we'd be happy. HAPPY!

We've had this conversation. I have my requirements to your anatomy.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    NO
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have you even met in person?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same situation as you. I was in the USA, him in the UK.

I now live with him in the UK. I am studying Architecture here while he does his phd. We recently bought a home. It can work. It is so worth it :flowerforyou:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. Go for it!