Online relationships

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    eevntually you do NEED more. what's a relationship without touch and affection? It's a constant void. I think you should keep at it....visit her, make it work if she's the one!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Debbie Downer here: If you can't even manage to skype, you're screwed.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I was 17 and convictions are at 18. Spoke to the Embassy and they've told me no way. :-(

Not to be nosy... but are you a terrorist? Why the hell wouldn't they let you come here?

Were they violent crimes or with weapons or something? They don't want people with violent criminal pasts...

Not being rude, but have either of you guys ever had to deal with immigration?

Even for a case that's clear cut it is a huge pain in the backside, and setting you back at least $1000, as soon as any complicating factors come into the mix, it becomes a whole barrel of fun!

Obviously, I have never left the country or had anyone come in. That is why I asked.
  • jaciofthedead
    Options
    I met my husband on AOL Instant Messanger. We have been together for 11 years now.
  • Eddie274
    Options
    @carriempls

Thanks for that. I'm thinking if I "met" someone who's at least in Europe, if not England, then we can start off getting to know each other online and the phone before meeting. that way the distance isn't a problem.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it would be very hard. I did the long distance thing before and kinda doing it now with the same man. It's hard and lonely. But i at least get to see him and spend time with him at least once a week. The first time i saw him about every few mths. But to sum it up. It's going to be hard!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My conviction was for violence. Far from my proudest moment, and have not repeated my mistake in the next 20 years, but as you say they don't like violent/sexual/drug/terrorist pasts, which I can understand to be honest. I do think 20 years with no more violence should count for something though.

We have tried to skype but never actually managed it, with the time difference and her work load etc. Not through lack of trying though. Not being online at home doesn't help me either.

If you just want to visit first, then it may be even simpler. You may be able to use the visa waiver program, people commonly think that if you have been arrested you cannot, but it actually is whether you were arrested for a crime involving moral turpitude.

Now there is no official definition of moral turpitude, so you will have to do some research here, and read the ESTA guidance notes but depending on the actual charge you received, you may actually be able to honestly answer no to that question.

Again the premium rate (dis)information line (as it is commonly known by) does not tell you this, and often makes the situation worse by encouraging people to apply for visas, which then get denied and cause ESTA to get denied because of the visa denial!
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you can fall in love with someone just over the phone. I need to see the person, their expressions, they way they look at me, his eyes, smile, the way he carries himself while talking to me, etc. The phone alone wouldn't do it for me at all. Happy that it has for you but I know it wouldn't work for me.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I've met someone here too... He's in the continental USA and I'm in Hawaii... we talk every night. For me it would be 10pm and for him its like 3 in the morning! We're meeting in December! :D And yes, we're planning to get married soon!!!! :)
  • HelloDan
    Options

Obviously, I have never left the country or had anyone come in. That is why I asked.

You're missing all the fun!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    @carriempls

Thanks for that. I'm thinking if I "met" someone who's at least in Europe, if not England, then we can start off getting to know each other online and the phone before meeting. that way the distance isn't a problem.

Exactly! This is not just a 'long-distance' thing or even an 'online' thing...you're on another continent and you can't leave! Also if you have never met, never even Skyped then, and I know this may sound harsh but it's not really real love...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You're missing all the fun!

I'm just not well-travelled. Some day I plan to take a trip out of the country.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online.

Although, now we are divorced.

:ohwell:
  • HelloDan
    Options

I'm just not well-travelled. Some day I plan to take a trip out of the country.

Good stuff, seeing the world is fun, and learning about other cultures can be an eye opener.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've met someone here too... He's in the continental USA and I'm in Hawaii... we talk every night. For me it would be 10pm and for him its like 3 in the morning! We're meeting in December! :D And yes, we're planning to get married soon!!!! :)

You've never met him and yet you're planning to get married soon????????????????????????????/ :indifferent:
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    They -can- work if both people make it work and make it a priority. I saw someone for over 2.5 years long distance before I'd even physically met him in person. It was great in person (I thought) and then he moved to be with me and we got married. We've known each other for over 10 years or more. The problem is, he thought online was an awesome way to meet OTHER people too and ended our marriage for someone else. I'm much happier now with someone I met in person first, but I still wouldn't place the distrust on having met online. Online is just another way to meet people. It's what people DO with that that matters, the same as any other relationship.
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Maybe she should fly out to the UK so you all could meet in person. I had an online relationship with a guy for over a year before we met, online it was cool but in person it was a different story we just didnt click. Maybe she would consider on flying out to you for just a few days and see where it goes from there?
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I had the worst one ever. Seemed great, he decided to move out here (from Florida to Oregon). I kept telling him that he had to move for more reasons than just me, I wasn't willing to be someone's everything and he assured me he wanted to live here for multiple reasons. We did not click in person at all, he wouldn't get a job, was supposed to stay with me for a couple weeks, dragged into months. He would literally follow me around the house. Finally broke up with him and asked him to leave and he went back to Florida.

Definitely spend some time together in person before anyone moves. We had had a week together before he moved and I really should have known then.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Try swimming.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was 17 and convictions are at 18. Spoke to the Embassy and they've told me no way. :-(

Not to be nosy... but are you a terrorist? Why the hell wouldn't they let you come here?

you seriously just asked if he is a terrorist?