Hey tattoo people, a question for you...

Options

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have one in between my shoulder blades, half sleeve, and one on my foot. The foot probably hurt the worst. People who say tattoos don't hurt are lying. It hurts....but it is supposed to...It's nothing you can't handle. You will be fine.

foot sucks!!! I have two foot tattoos and one took well over 3 hours =(

I know...I need to get mine touched up, but I don't really want to. LOL

I don't blame you!! Mine is Yoda in black, gray, and white... and let me tell you... that mother ****er is never getting touched up LOL
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    My small upper shoulder tats were easy. Practically a sneeze, really.

The tattoo parlor I went to in Texas asked if I'd eaten in the last 3 hours. I know that I like something light and easy before hand, because I get a little excited/nervous, lol!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The pain is not too bad. Don't take meds beforehand though as it thins your blood and makes things harder for the tattoo-er. MY one on my shoulder-blade was probably the least painful, it's a recommended "starter" spot. My entire shoulder blade and arm went tingly with I guess the endorphins after, I loved it, lol!
    MY hip hurt the most, I was quite skinny back then and I swear it felt like the needle was going "dink dink dink" in my bone!
    I've heard neck and the underside of your arm hurts the most.

edited because MFP seems to think my first description of the sound was offensive!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh and I've heard from several tattoo artists that women cope with the pain far better than men. Same for piercings!
    Please nobody shoot the messenger, :tongue:
  • allison_ortiz
    allison_ortiz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos, they are not that bad. The worse one I got was on my spine, made my back spasm uncontrollably the lady kept saying sit still...I was like lady I'm not moving! haha I have one on each shoulder and honestly it feels like someone is rubbing on your skin with an eraser...then after it feels like a sunburn for about 3 days...then it's REALLY itchy, but don't scratch it! you can rub it but scratching with your nails will pull the scab off and can take the ink with it. You asked for honest...been through it 5 times and the experience was the same each time :) hope this was helpful...oh BTW they are very addicting, I am predicting #2 shortly after #1 ;)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have three separate tattoos, all atop my shoulder-blades. On the right side, the phrase FREE ROBERT BLAKE actually did hurt as the letters are small, and when the artist had a curve (R,O,B) it felt like he was cutting my skin. The wings above the phrase didn't hurt hardly at all, just poke-poke-poke all around and then the fill-in felt the same way. This artist was experienced, BTW.

On the other hand, the Clan Gunn badge on the left hurt like a mother! The outline is basically one big circle, lots of heavy lines, and heavy shadings - AND the artist was maybe 23 and had about two years experience under his belt. Never having anything done by THAT kid, ever again!

So, as others have posted, it all depends.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    One leads to another..then another.. it's an annoying pinch pain. Stings a bit but when they rub the wet cloth over it from time to time.. you'll be all like... Ahhhhh that's nice.
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have 5 and they did not hurt at all. I have one that was done over the top of my foot and I was told that was going to be painful...nope.

I am also planning on another one. I have the design...have the place I want it...Think I am going with my BF right before Halloween. I am jazzed!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I own a tattoo shop, one thing I can tell you, pain is different for everyone. The tattoo procedure itself can be a little painful depending on placement and pain tolerance, it feels more like a burning or electrical sensation, the after care can feel like a really bad sunburn. Generally speaking, that high on the back isnt horrible, to me a painful tattoo is on the breastplate or calf muscle, you do want to eat before you go in, sometimes the adrenalin rush you get can make you feel sick on an empty stomach, so it helps to have a little something on it, also, if your artist allows hard candy in his station, then you may want to take a few of those, the sugar can help you overcome feeling faint. Make sure you are well hydrated and dont drink any alcohol 24 hours before you get your tatt, alcohol thins your blood and you dont want to bleed any more than needed. Exfoliate your skin beforehand but DO NOT use lotion, the oils can get into your pores and make it harder for the ink to go in. Try to remain very still (this includes tapping your foot, texting on your phone. etc)and keep a low voice (no whining) during your tattoo, this makes it easier on the artist, even though he is a professional, no artist can do a good job if they have a jittery client. Most important thing to remember, a great tattoo is 50% client, 50% artist. A reliable reputable artist can create a great work of art, but its up to you to care for that art throughout its healing and thereafter. DO NOT neglect your aftercare, it will make or break your tattoo.
  • KatieKatB
    Options
    It hurts some, but I think they are very tolerable. I don't understand when people say how it hurts so bad and get drunk to get one. But I do have a very high pain tolerance also .
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I was hungover from tequila while getting the wings done. Had to make the poor guy stop three times so I could run to the bathroom and retch. :sick:
  • BenChase
    Options
    take a 9-volt battery and stick it on your tongue for a split second, just long enough to feel it, then picture that over and over again, thats about how mine are, except the one on my chest, that one felt like a knife dragging across my skin and slightly digging into the bone.....while on fire :laugh: but i have a backpiece that covers my whole back, it's not too bad at all back there :wink: and like everyone else says, it's kinda like a sunburn for a while after. i would advise taking a cooler than normal shower the first few days, or at least try the temp before you have the water directly on it
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks guys. I've read all of your replies. I feel much better now. I've had some really bad sunburns before (like so bad medical attention was required) and I handled that fine. I also rescue ferrets and some of the ones that come to me have no training at all so I've been scratched and bitten a lot too. Sounds like this should be tolerable since I can handle those other things.

I've met with the artist twice before and been in her station at the studio. I went to her with an idea and she designed it. She's been amazing. She's got about 20 years of experience and is just awesome. Everything in the studio/shop/her station is immaculate.

Thanks so much for all your advice. My husband will be with me and I'll bring a sugary snack just in case.
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    I had a tattoo there and just had someone cover it up a couple weeks ago with a beautiful design and butterfly. I sat for about 3 hours with breaks and just kept a sugared soda with me to keep my blood sugar up. Honestly I was so relaxed at times, I was glad for the caffeine in the soda!

Worse than the pain was the itching!!!! That drove me about crazy! lol, you'll do great I'm sure!!
  • Ninjajenna
    Ninjajenna Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The upper back area doesn't really hurt. I was actually ticklish in some parts. I think you'll be just fine. Try taking a sewing needle and scratch yourself repeatedly to get an idea of what it will feel like. Sometimes it's not painful, but it can be annoying.
  • rf169606
    rf169606 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mine is on my wrist where there is very little fat and it was more of an odd slightly burning sensation. Definitely not painful though. And mine also did not hurt in the following days at all.

And I have like the lowest pain tolerance haha, so you should be fine!
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It really depends where you get the tattoo! It doesn't hurt but it doesn't feel good ether. Its just kind of irritating. It's a good pain because at the end you have a cool tattoo.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It feels like scratching the same area over and over again with a sharp fingernail or something. Not fun, but tolerable on the upper back. Ankle and lower back were bad for me, as was tattooing over stretch marks! You should be fine. :smile:
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    Getting my first tattoo on Saturday. It’s fairly small and going on my upper back, near my shoulder blade. My tolerance for pain is pretty high so I’m not too concerned about it but I am curious as to what to expect.

Be brutally honest, how much pain can I expect to be in and how long does the pain usually last for? What would you compare the pain to? How much should I eat before going in? I’ve heard that it’s important to have a good meal beforehand.

Good luck. And congrats on your first tattoo. I've heard any where on the bone hurts. Although I have one near my shoulder that didn't hurt at all. It might feel like burning at first but then its just numb. If you tolerate pain then it shouldn't be a problem. I had a high tolerance too. Again good luck.
  • speednut
    Options
    It reminds you of a cat scratch on sunburn.
    It reminded me of exacto knives puncturing my flesh when I got my first one.
    So worth it, though!