Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I am the only one here not following a low carb diet?!

I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

Replies

• okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    I'm not.... i tend to eat what i want within moderation, say for instance carby products for 2 of my meals per day...i tend to stick away from potatoes though mainly because they bloat me something terrible...so for instance if im having a roast, i'll tend to have chicken and veg with no potatoes...but i do definitely eat pasta, rice, bread etc...i have tried Atkins/Dukan diets which are very low carb and i can only get about 3 days in before i give up, so i think "eat what you want within moderation" .

my typical day would be something like this

Egg & toast/crumpets for breakfast

tuna/chicken salad for lunch

chicken/fish with pasta/rice etc for dinner..
  • No, I love carbs :wink: but try to cut them out at night
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    My ratios are the same as yours, honestly.
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    I eat my carbs :D Like the person above me, I too don't eat a lot of carbs at night.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    I'm not on a low carb diet either but I only tend to pay attention to calories and fat I'm 55% Carbs 15% Protein 30% fat
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    I'm currently 40/40/20 (Carbs/Protein/Fat).
    I try to get most of my carbs from whole wheat sources, oats, and fruits or veggies.
    It seems to have been working so far. :)
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    I don't do low carb either. I like my carby foods too much! So far it hasn't held me back.
    My main goal is to eat in a way I can stick with for a long, long time, and low carb doesn't fit into that :)
  • I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal. At dinner a little less than lunch but anyway I have to eat them.
    I have something like 30 g bread or equiv at breakfast, 80 g at lunch and 60 at dinner. I am also taking metformin at lunch and dinner that definitely helps me keeping an even glicemic/insulin curve trough the day.

My only problem is that I like pasta and.. the equiv for lunch is should be something like 70 g of whole grain pasta uncooked at lunch. it is a little over 1/2 normal portion... the rice (brown) is somehow better it should be 50 g uncooked. but anyway...

What do you usually eat?
  • I'm not on low carbs as others have said I love my carbs to much and if I cut them too low I'm never going to be able to stick to it, all I do is stick within my calorie goal and try to have more protein now I'm trying to lose body fat and build a bit of muscle. I don't cut them at night either I can't have a dinner without without carbs :indifferent:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).
    In what way is that "balanced" ? Looks like a high carb diet to me.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    i eat pretty much what i want...hence i haven't lost any weight
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal. At dinner a little less than lunch but anyway I have to eat them.
    I have something like 30 g bread or equiv at breakfast, 80 g at lunch and 60 at dinner. I am also taking metformin at lunch and dinner that definitely helps me keeping an even glicemic/insulin curve trough the day.

My only problem is that I like pasta and.. the equiv for lunch is should be something like 70 g of whole grain pasta uncooked at lunch. it is a little over 1/2 normal portion... the rice (brown) is somehow better it should be 50 g uncooked. but anyway...

What do you usually eat?

Feel free to check my diary ;)
    I tend to bulk stuff like pasta and rice up with plenty of veggies, that way I still have a nice plate full of food. I also try to go for brown/wholegrain varieties of pasta, rice and cereal since they seem to keep me feeling full for longer.
  • I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

That's the recommended dietary ratios.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I have a much high protein than you; though it depends on overall calorie consumption, so if overall is high, then protein percentage tends to be lower relatively. Don't really care about carbs either way so I eat what I eat.
    Down to 12.8% body fat according to the scales this morning (first time seen below 13%), so something I'm doing must be working!

Oh and I believe the consensus is that the protein ratio used by MFP as standard is very low.
  • I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

Well at least from what I saw in OMS guidelines and in the eating related diseases clinic where I have my doc they just recommend this ratio. Anyway the thread refers to people not following low carb diets.
  • I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal. At dinner a little less than lunch but anyway I have to eat them.

What do you usually eat?

Feel free to check my diary ;)
    I tend to bulk stuff like pasta and rice up with plenty of veggies, that way I still have a nice plate full of food. I also try to go for brown/wholegrain varieties of pasta, rice and cereal since they seem to keep me feeling full for longer.

I will check so maybe I get some meals ideas. I just love to cook maybe too much :D
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal.
    Really ? We must be working to a different definition of insulin resistance - try http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/

In general low carb is put forward as beneficial to insulin resistance - see http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/irdiet.htm for example.

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/2/177.short found that "Fasting glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance HOMA were significantly lower after the very low-carbohydrate diet"

I fear you have been misinformed.
  • I don't pay much attention to my macros, but after looking at the pie chart on my phone, I appear to have ratios about the same as yours. Of course, the phone doesn't have an alcohol macro slice. That would be a few %, too.
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    I'm not! Not sure what my ratios are set as, because i can't find them, but pretty much just eat sensibly.

I would be so miserable and hungry if i cut right down on carbs

I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast, 3 hours ago and i still feel full now! :-)
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Nope, you are not. I am following nothing :smile: