I am the only one here not following a low carb diet?!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal.
    Really ? We must be working to a different definition of insulin resistance - try http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/

In general low carb is put forward as beneficial to insulin resistance - see http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/irdiet.htm for example.

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/2/177.short found that "Fasting glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance HOMA were significantly lower after the very low-carbohydrate diet"

I fear you have been misinformed.

Exactly! I'm sorry OP but patients I've worked with that have either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes benefit tremendously from reducing their carb intake. There is an increasing body of evidence that shows low carb diets (think Atkins, Paleo, Primal etc) to result in better long term blood glucose control. I suggest you gradually reduce your carb intake and note how you feel at different levels, all the best :)

Sorry, but my hubby's doctor told him the same thing. He said keep your carbs even, but don't eliminate them. My hubby's A1C is continuing downward each time he gets blood work done. Both the doctor and the diabetes nutritionist told him that he needs to try to eat fat and protein with his carbs at mealtimes.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any medical "professional" that advises a fad diet.
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do the WW Points Plus program, but I log on here to be accountable for my weight. I also like the recipes.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    youre not the only one, I eat lots of carbs, eating some tacos now :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Really ? We must be working to a different definition of insulin resistance - try http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/

In general low carb is put forward as beneficial to insulin resistance - see http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/irdiet.htm for example.

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/2/177.short found that "Fasting glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance HOMA were significantly lower after the very low-carbohydrate diet"

You are free to have your own opinion I am just following my doc advice that for now it is working and this shows just in the perfect blood work I have. And also there are modern approaches to type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance that show that low carb it is not beneficial or worse can trigger kidney issues that are pretty common with this kind of metabolic problems.
    I am just focusing of keeping my insulin/glicemic levels steady and getting to a healthier weight when my metabolism should return to normal and I can quit meds as well. That's my plan.

It sounds like you have confused low carb with no carb. Low carb w/ high fiber does not, in general,create kidney issues - No carb can do so. That's not opinion.
    Metformin with meals is not a modern approach, it has been used for 30 or more years to treat blood sugar issues, BUT, if it's working for you congratulations. Good luck, with these issues. I have found that increasing my activity levels has made the biggest difference maker. Proper exercise - cardio, walking, biking running - in general, moving more has done more for my IR than any changes to my diet. I am able to eat - on occasion - pizza, potatoes etc. as long as I continue to do my exercises.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a low carb diet, though sometimes my daily total meets the criteria of some low carb diets. I think my settings are 45% carbs, 30% fat and 25% protein. I most often go over on fat and protein and under on carbs. But I don't obsess over macros when eating. I think about them, but mostly I just try to have good mix of healthy foods I enjoy.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am higher protein since i am trying to build muscle, but i still try to get in my whole grains too! I just try not to eat them after 7pm.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, but not usually after my afternoon snack. I LOVE carbs!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Exactly! I'm sorry OP but patients I've worked with that have either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes benefit tremendously from reducing their carb intake. There is an increasing body of evidence that shows low carb diets (think Atkins, Paleo, Primal etc) to result in better long term blood glucose control. I suggest you gradually reduce your carb intake and note how you feel at different levels, all the best :)

Sorry, but my hubby's doctor told him the same thing. He said keep your carbs even, but don't eliminate them. My hubby's A1C is continuing downward each time he gets blood work done. Both the doctor and the diabetes nutritionist told him that he needs to try to eat fat and protein with his carbs at mealtimes.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any medical "professional" that advises a fad diet.

Low carb! Not no carb! Not a fad! Carbohydrates turn into sugar in your body. Eat good carbs, with high fiber. They take longer for your body to turn into sugar. Thus, evening out the glycemic response.

Low / Good carbs = GOOD
    No carb = NOT GOOD
  • Tymeshia
    Tymeshia Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am not following a low carb diet. I have to watch my cholesterol, so low carb means a lot of protein and to much cholesterol. I have always just follow the rule of counting calories and that work for me every time.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    I don't consciously choose to skip carbs, but the diet SHOULD not be carb based. 100 years ago when everyone worked on the farm or in a mine or whatever sure. Carbs were easy energy, easy calories.

I know if I have a choice between 3 cups of spinach loaded with vitamins and nutrients, or a slice of bread with next to nothing (and twice as many calories) I will take the spinach. I'm going to feel more full, and I'm going to get more out of it!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm not on low-carb. I have been using MFP's default settings (what the OP posted, I think) until this week. I have now set my goals to 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat … and I am still struggling to get the carbs down to that and the proteins up. I'm not too stressed, as long as I continue to lose weight, but at least being aware of the goal is helping me replace some high carb (and usually sugar or other empty carb) snacks with snacks that have more protein. I'm trying to build muscle, so that's important.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Nope.
    I was trying the 30/30/30 method (I know it doesn't add up but the extra 10% went to whatever) and finding I was getting emptionally unstable. I tried atkins a few years back and within a week was a quivering mess so I guessed it would be the carbs.
    I have a high stress job and my brain needs food.

That is the so called "Keto flu". After a week your body adjusts to the lessened carb intake and you will feel better.

Who wants to deliberately get the flu? :laugh:
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    I can't do low carb diets, I grew up in an Italian family and pasta is our true love. I couldn't give it up if I tried and actually I have tried .. binged. I don't do low carb BUT I do try to keep my protein higher than my carbs! Fats, I don't care about!
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    im not saying that i lost my first 50lb on a low carb diet and now im couting calories=D
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).
    In what way is that "balanced" ? Looks like a high carb diet to me.

It depends on what you mean by balanced. A well-balanced meal, to me, includes a bit of all the major food groups. A higher carb macro ratio makes it easier for all the food groups to be included in your daily diet. So, while you might try to balance your macros evenly, others may try to make their macro ratio so that they can include a variety of different types of foods. Carbs are everywhere, in a wide variety of foods.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I am not purposely cutting them out, but once I actually thought about it, I am cutting way down on them in the evenings. On the weekends before working out, I have a bagel thin with butter and salami to get some fuel for my workout. I may also have bread or a little pasta at lunch sometimes. But then at dinner, if I have a burger, for example, I won't have a bun with it most of the time and I cut out the potato part of a meat and potato dinner. I guess I've just moved them to earlier in the day. I couldn't cut them out entirely as I know that is a lifestyle I wouldn't be able to follow. You have to do what you know you can stick with. I haven't denied myself anything...I just make sure it fits into my calories for the day if I want it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Low carb! Not no carb! Not a fad! Carbohydrates turn into sugar in your body. Eat good carbs, with high fiber. They take longer for your body to turn into sugar. Thus, evening out the glycemic response.

Low / Good carbs = GOOD
    No carb = NOT GOOD

Sorry, but the low carb diet, no matter the name, *IS* a fad. Ten years ago, there were low fat diets with a wide variety of names. Then some new books come out, and suddenly it's carbs making us fat. NO!!!

I guess the next fad is a low protein diet?

I would never venture to tell someone what to eat or how to live their life, but sacrificing one macro-nutrient for another is NOT going cause fat loss. You can believe what you will, but low carb will be a thing of the past, just as low-fat faded away.

And yes, OF COURSE, carbs turn to sugar in your body. Glucose is necessary for our bodies to function. That's why carbohydrates are a macro-nutrient. They are an important part of a healthy diet. Carbohydrates give us energy.

In fact, it could be stated simply:

Carbs = energy
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't consciously choose to skip carbs, but the diet SHOULD not be carb based. 100 years ago when everyone worked on the farm or in a mine or whatever sure. Carbs were easy energy, easy calories.

I know if I have a choice between 3 cups of spinach loaded with vitamins and nutrients, or a slice of bread with next to nothing (and twice as many calories) I will take the spinach. I'm going to feel more full, and I'm going to get more out of it!

You would feel more full from 3 C of spinach than from a slice of whole grain bread?? I would not. But I'd cut it to 2 C of spinach, add a couple oz of protein and a little olive oil vinaigrette and wrap it all in whole grain wrap. Now that good mix of carbs, fat and protein will you really fill you up.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Not me, my main goal is to keep my calories down. The second is to try and watch my fat. I never worry about my carbs.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I just use the macros that MFP gave me. I don't overdo it with carbs but I don't believe that a super low carb diet is sustainable by most people and it certainly isn't for me.