I am the only one here not following a low carb diet?!

Options

Replies

• nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    No low carb here. 40C/30P/30F. No refined sugar or white bread. All of my carbs come from fruit, veggies, wholegrain breads, pb, nuts, beans, etc.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Your brain runs exclusively on Carbohydrate. If you don't eat enough Carbohydrate our bodies takes the $10 a pound steak, strips the hydrogen atoms off and coverts it to carbohydrate for your brain to use. It seems that everything in moderation is best for most people.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I am actually pretty opposed to those no carb diets, especially doing them long term.

Huge monumental difference between a low or lower than MFP carb way and a "no carb" way.

I dont see anyone doing a "no carb" way here. This is a common problem though. People hear low carb and think no carb.

Oh no, I do agree... I only thought no carb because its what my sister in law and brother are doing, and I just think its crazy.

To me, lots of people over do carbs and should be more conscious of the type of carbs they do eat, but no one should ever eat minimal to no carbs, especially if exercising lots.

So not trying to knock any one here doing lower carbs and most people here seem good with making sure they do get some carbs!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    as I'm stuffing eggs and potatoes into my face for breakfast..... no..... I don't do low carb. I do try not to eat a lot of bread but there's no way that I'd never cut out bread, potatoes, etc. Carbs aren't my problem with weight, sugar is. Sugar and I don't mix. But any sort of weight loss is personal and different things work for different people.

I tried Atkins a few years ago and did really well for a couple of months, lost 20lbs................and gained it all back plus some. I don't think that any sort of "diet" that you can't sustain for the rest of your life is really worth even trying. That was low carb for me
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My macros are close to yours, 55%carb, 20%protein, 25% fat. It is what makes me feel the best.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Nope.
    I was trying the 30/30/30 method (I know it doesn't add up but the extra 10% went to whatever) and finding I was getting emptionally unstable. I tried atkins a few years back and within a week was a quivering mess so I guessed it would be the carbs.
    I have a high stress job and my brain needs food.

That is the so called "Keto flu". After a week your body adjusts to the lessened carb intake and you will feel better.
    I was on 30/30/30 for nearly a month. I gave it a really heavy go and I did atkins for 6-7 weeks and it just got worse. I was even happy when my carbs were lower than 30% if my fat didn't go over. Not everyone works with low carb. I also do roller derby which requires endurance which eating that way was just wearing me out. I get my carbs from mostly fruit and veg rather than potato, bread, rice and pasta.
    Sorry, but I just like them in my diet too much to give them up or lower them again.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    im hypoglycemic, so low carb is a big no-go for me. i get roughly 1g per lb of my bodyweight daily, with more on my off days.

i did low carb for s few months.....got an amazing six pack. i would have enjoyed that if i cpuld have qiit being so sick i couldnt get off my couch.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My macros are similar to yours. I don't believe low carb is the way to go (as someone else said, your brain needs carbs!). However, I mostly get my carbs from wholegrains (like brown rice, quinoa and rolled oats), fruit & veg and beans. I try not to eat much wheat or refined sugars.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    No, I don't follow a low carb diet either. I do the same as some of the others. I eat what I want within my calorie goals. I try to control the carbs but honestly I go over my goal almost every day so the carb number is almost always red. Meh.

I do try to eat more protein though.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I eat carbs as well but try to keep it under 100g per day and do not consume them at night.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

My macros are similar, but I am 50/30/20. I bumped up my protein when I started strength training. I am happy with my high carb diet. I would be very sad if a medical condition made me cut down on bread and other yummy carbs. I am on 1800 calories, so I normally get 200g-240g of carbs per day. I try to shoot for 90g of protein and consider 50g of protein as bare minimum for a day. I also make sure that I get enough fiber, but really protein, fiber, and total calories are the main things I watch. I don't get too worried about going over on fat. Usually that means that I got extra protein that day. :tongue:

For many of these folks, low carb is a fad. Soon enough, there will be a new diet fad to take its place, once some new book comes out. :laugh:
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs and never ever want to go low carbs ever! I have never really paid much attention to my macros I just try and stay within calories. But I just started insanity so trying to up my protein so probably gonna aim for 50/30/20 (Carbs/Fats/Protein).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat 55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein, too! Carbs make me feel happy, relaxed and energetic. When I ate high protein I felt crabby, had a hard time sleeping and my stomach hurt all the time. Low carb just isn't for me!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My ratios are the same as yours, OP. I'm vegetarian and this is what works for me.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and I have to eat carbs at each meal.
    Really ? We must be working to a different definition of insulin resistance - try http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/

In general low carb is put forward as beneficial to insulin resistance - see http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/irdiet.htm for example.

http://www.jacn.org/content/23/2/177.short found that "Fasting glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance HOMA were significantly lower after the very low-carbohydrate diet"

I fear you have been misinformed.

Thanks for this! I thought my Dr. and I were out of our freakin' minds! I am told to limit my carbs (not delete them) and eat good, healthy, high fiber carbs. I certainly have NEVER read to eat a 55% carb diet! (I am on a metformin combo pill one time per day and have been told by Dr. that if I continue to eat properly and get my exercise that I may be able to cut it out).
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yours are exactly the same as mine. Mine is set that way because, I think, of my exercise goals. I will need to revisit it though, because I seem to be burning more that I said I would. Do you or will you be expecting to burn many calories through exercise?
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I dont even know what my ratio is most of the time, I focus a lot on protein and fiber
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Im not following any kind of "diet" I am trying to eat healthier, which according to my doctor, protein and fiber main things to go for. I am going to see a dietitian soon to help with the healthy eating. cause i swear if i hear another person tell me what NOT to eat I think I might punch someone

:laugh: :laugh:

My nutritionist friend said the same thing: worry about protein, fiber and calories. So far, her advice is working. My waistline is seven inches smaller than it was 9 weeks ago!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I saw that the majority of people here is following a low carb diet. I was curious to exchange some ideas with people following a balanced diet as mine. (55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein).

Exactly what makes your diet balanced? What evidence do you have that 55% carbs is healthy? It is normal, yes, but it is also normal in America to be overweight.

I don't consider myself low carb although my breakdown is usually 35% carb, 40% fat, 25% protein. I eat very little processed foods, and that is what it looks like.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    carbs_zpseb0487e7.jpg