The one book everyone should read?!?

Options
m16shane
m16shane Posts: 393 Member
What is it?

Truthfully I'm not a book worm at all. I tend to get board when I read unless its a amazing book. So I'm looking for a great book that I can read, especially if its a classic. What should it be? BTW I'm a guy so no "Fifty Shades of Grey" haha

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I just came here because I want to see how many people say 50 Shades of Grey....
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Rings. Definitely. My fiancé hates to read but he loves lord of the rings.

He's recently really into the series "a song of ice and fire" which is also extremely good. This one has a ton of characters and it a little overwhelming the first couple chapters but it's totally worth it and ends up being easy to follow - I promise! It's also an HBO series that is very well done (and has lots of boobs if youre into that sort of thing haha)

Edit: "game of thrones" which many people are suggesting is the first book of a song of ice and fire :)
  • jac1967123
    jac1967123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson is very gripping a thriller :-)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Ethel the Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away - Christopher Brookmyre.

Funny, coarse, intriguing and an overall bloody good read. My favourite book.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    The girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson is very gripping a thriller :-)

If you aren't an avid reader, this won't work for you....took me over 150 pages to get into it....it's like the with ALL 3 of those.

A Game of Thrones, fantastic.
    Enders Game (the sci-fi book for people who don't like sci-fi)
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy (a must)

And for some seriously well done post-apocalyptic 80's throwback (can you get all the 80's references in this book?) Ready Player One by Earnest Cline. Toppled Enders Game as my favorite all time book.
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options

^^THIS!
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm a book worm, I love reading. Right now I'm reading "The Mortal Insturments" series and "Infernal Devices" series. They are YA books. I like Stephen King books if you are into his type writing.

I'm curious to see what everyone else recommends! Almost done with the book I'm on and could use another good read! :)
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    I just came here because I want to see how many people say 50 Shades of Grey....

I'm very afraid that someone might genuinely suggest it :/

I second The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

If you like off the wall humour then Mort by Terry Pratchett is a great read
  • fallonrhea
    Options

Soooo good :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Anything by Dr Suess.
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter!
    It's my obsession. It's been my favourite ever since I first read it over 10 years ago. Although I'm aware that the simple writing style makes it not for everybody.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    The Lord of the Flies.
  • fallonrhea
    Options

Mort is awesome. I love terry pratchett. Good omens is ridiculously great as well. Again - off the wall humor kind of thing.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Only one??? Goodness!

Well, since you're a man, I'd say Moby Dlck because men seem to really love that book, but I didn't like it.

As for what I would recommend, my absolute favorites that are not gender specific would probably be either Les Miserables or the Harry Potter series. There are seven books in HP, but it's really one continuous story, so it's more like one really long book (and so, so awesome).

The Book Thief is a really good piece of historical fiction, and very powerful.

Oy. I have a BA in English literature and when I didn't have a full-time job, I used to read three or four novels a week, so you're asking the impossible from me! Check out my goodreads.com page if you want a whole list!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

I'm afraid of that too :/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter!
    It's my obsession. It's been my favourite ever since I first read it over 10 years ago. Although I'm aware that the simple writing style makes it not for everybody.

Her writing style is actually very sophisticated, especially starting in book 4. It's EASY to read, but it isn't simple. It's a very complex and well-developed story.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Has anyone read The Jason Bourne books? The movies are great, but just wanted to know if the books were good as well.