The one book everyone should read?!?

Options

Replies

• wattleneurotic
    Options
    Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (or is that the other way around?) my favourite book ever. I just finished reading it again :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    A Million Little Pieces or My Friend Leonard by James Frey. Two of the best books I have ever read. And based on his real life experiences.

About a junkie who goes to rehab and his journey there. My Friend Leonard is about his journey after rehab and his wonderful friend he meets in rehab, Leonard.

Unfortunately James Frey is a fraud and A Million Little Pieces is entirely fiction.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Fight Club, or anything by Chuck Palaniuk, especially if you want a fast but still intelligent and interesting read. Also Dune.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Non-Fiction: Movement by Gray Cook

Fiction: any of the Alexander Hawke books by Ted Bell

Also agree with earlier post about the Bible.....some pretty cool stories in there.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The Glass Castle - Jeanette Walls (i think?) It's non-fiction.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

It will change your life.

I agree! I'm happy I read it (not all of it, way too long!)

LOTR, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion are my all time favorites! I did enjoy the Hannibal books.
  • Gelly_Bean
    Gelly_Bean Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The dictionary :)
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    The girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson is very gripping a thriller :-)

Yip I agreeing with this, the triology. My husband read it after me and we both enjoyed it
  • Nomi923
    Nomi923 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1984 by George Orwell is definitely a must read.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Anything by Neil Gaiman, but if I had to pick ONE, it would be American Gods. I'm very into mythology so this was right up my alley!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

I didnt find the plot or the characters to be believable.
  • quillsHP
    quillsHP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Drew me in like no other book has done for a long time. And you know how after you read a book you really like you have a "hangover"? I had a major one after this book.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    "The Perks of being a Wallflower" Stephen Chbosky. My favorite quote in this book is "We accept the love we think we deserve." It's so true.

"The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. I don't read books like this EVER. I picked it up in a second hand store for a quarter and it ended up being one of my favorite books to date.
  • jimbo_a_logo
    jimbo_a_logo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

"There are more sure marks of authenticity in the Bible than in any profane history."-- Sir Isaac Newton

“You Christians look after a document containing enough dynamite to blow all civilisation to pieces, turn the world upside down and bring peace to a battle-torn planet. But you treat it as though it is nothing more than a piece of literature.” -- Mahatma Gandhi
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    People, people, people....Did you see him say that he's not an avid reader and gets bored easily!?! There's no point suggesting some massive literary tome just so that we can impress each other with our intellect! The whole object of the thread is to give him something he will read!!!!!

lol...

in that case: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

And 1001 Nights. some of those stories are really quite... juicy ;)

I really loved The Alchemist!
    Yeah. It's not too demanding but still deep and still pacy enough that you won't get bored... it's a good book.

However, one Coelho was quite enough for me, I couldn't stand Veronica Decides to Die, felt like the exact same book...

ooh, OP, if you're into action and battles, try some Bernard Cornwell - hands down the best battle scenes I've ever read, plus the writing is really well researched. I suggest you start with either the Sharpe series, focused mainly on the Napoleonic Wars (that was filmed too. Young Sean Bean... yum!) or the more recent Saxon stories which centers around the establishment of England and the battles against the Vikings.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (or is that the other way around?) my favourite book ever. I just finished reading it again :)

Me too! I've read it so many times I have 3 copies, one for me to read, one to lend to people and a signed hard back version, which no one is allowed to touch! It's the book I'd take to my desert Island!
  • ForTheSmile
    ForTheSmile Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green right now. It's not a classic (yet) but I was previously unaware that I had the ability to laugh and cry at the same time. Such a beautiful, hilarious, terribly tragic story.

The Hunger Games series was unbelievably amazing as well. The best part is that it's pretty unisex. A little romance here, a lot of violence there, fun for the whole family...
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

A little irony: grew up in church learning all about the Bible. I can still recite all of the New Testament chapters from memory! Decided to read the Bible for real when I was out of college (not just devotionals like I used to, started from page 1 to the end). Now I'm an agnostic atheist!

Some messed up stuff in that book!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Favorite. Book. Ever.