The one book everyone should read?!?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just for fun reading? Not fitness related....hmmm, I really loved the book --The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas...it's one of my favorite books. It is considered a literary classic. It is an AWESOME book. :) (And, I promise it's not a "chick flick" kind of book lol). I AM a book worm...couldn't LIVE without a good read. Hmmmm...my vote for worst book I've ever read...would have to be-- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The book became a cult classic, and later a mainstream success, and Mr. Toole posthumously won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981 (I guess I just don't get it...I absolutely HATED this book...you might read it out of curiosity and tell me what I missed...haha). Well, hope this helps...maybe tell us a little about what kind of book might interest you? Then I would be able to narrow down suggestions... :D

I loved Confederacy of Dunces.
  • Terree83
    Options
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. If you have not checked this out, I highly recommend it! It's narrated by Death (yes.. like the Grim Reaper) and is set in WWII. I don't want to give too much away.. but it's by far my favorite book of all time.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I just came here because I want to see how many people say 50 Shades of Grey....

Good thread to hopefully get some interesting suggestions from which I might benefit.

It's just going to take one person to say 50 shades though and I lose faith in the thread

Touch and go with Harry Potter too if I'm honest - my daughter LOVES them though so I'll try and stay neutral

My one book is Roots, Alex Haley
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I guess you have to figure out what types of books you may like to venture into, fiction, non-fiction, bio's, self-help,sci-fi, inspirational...hmmm, then I think you can truly go from there. I would suggest going to your local library and start reading books from there and then if you truly like reading...then start buying them.

I personally like Green Eggs and Ham....SMILE.

I estrange myself from anyone who doesn't like Green Eggs and Ham.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Ah I can't really say what everyone should read since I don't know too many people who like what I read. Hmm would reccomend "Killing me softly", "The secret smile", "Catch me when I fall" By Nikki French. Kind of twisted but a great read.

Also Joudi Piccoult books. She deals with a lot of controversial subjects and most of her books get you thinking. "My sisters keeper" is amazing (Haven't seen the film" Keeping faith", "Picture perfect" etc. I love reading.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    To Kill a Mockingbird. Or The Origin of the Species.
  • HolliDeanne
    Options
    A Million Little Pieces or My Friend Leonard by James Frey. Two of the best books I have ever read. And based on his real life experiences.

About a junkie who goes to rehab and his journey there. My Friend Leonard is about his journey after rehab and his wonderful friend he meets in rehab, Leonard.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    People, people, people....Did you see him say that he's not an avid reader and gets bored easily!?! There's no point suggesting some massive literary tome just so that we can impress each other with our intellect! The whole object of the thread is to give him something he will read!!!!!
  • pdanko1972
    pdanko1972 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stephen King .... The Stand, I read it years ago and it is my all time favorite book
  • rml_16
    Options
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. If you have not checked this out, I highly recommend it! It's narrated by Death (yes.. like the Grim Reaper) and is set in WWII. I don't want to give too much away.. but it's by far my favorite book of all time.

Three of us have recommended this so far, so I just want to make sure you (OP) know to look for it in the juvenile fiction section if you decide to read it. We read it in my book club and I assumed it was adult fiction because of the subject, but it isn't. It's so amazingly well-written, though, that you won't even notice it's supposedly meant for teenagers. :-) That has more to do with the age of the heroine, though, than the writing. It's just a publishing thing.

And I second To Kill a Mockingbird and add anything by Natahniel Hawthorne. The Scarlet Letter is great and The Blithedale Romance is interesting to read considering the state of today's world politics.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like Stephen King. I especially like his early books -- Carrie, The Shining, The Stand. Have you ever tried Audiobooks? They're great for when you do cardio. I am just finishing the Dark Tower series, a major commitment and not one of King's best but interesting none the less.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    People, people, people....Did you see him say that he's not an avid reader and gets bored easily!?! There's no point suggesting some massive literary tome just so that we can impress each other with our intellect! The whole object of the thread is to give him something he will read!!!!!

lol...

in that case: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

And 1001 Nights. some of those stories are really quite... juicy ;)
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    teee heeee...how about The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A.N. Roquelaure .... You probably won't get bored with this one...depends....haha :D
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Ethel the Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying.

I prefer The Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys Stoutpamphlet and her Intrepid Spaniel Stig Amongst the Giant Pygmies off Beckles. Volume 8.

But it's hard to find.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

It will change your life.
  • rml_16
    Options
    A Million Little Pieces or My Friend Leonard by James Frey. Two of the best books I have ever read. And based on his real life experiences.

About a junkie who goes to rehab and his journey there. My Friend Leonard is about his journey after rehab and his wonderful friend he meets in rehab, Leonard.

You know there was a big scandal where it turned out he made it all up, right?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The Catcher in the Rye has got such a colourfull history that it has to be on a list of books people should read
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Easy. 1984. Hands down, my favorite book ever.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    The one I read recently that I found most interesting right off the bat was Hunger Games. It hooked me right away and I found it an intriguing read. Much better than the movie, which I also liked.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

lol...

in that case: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

And 1001 Nights. some of those stories are really quite... juicy ;)

I really loved The Alchemist!