The one book everyone should read?!?

Options

Replies

• serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    At this point, I'd settle for anything that ISN'T a textbook.
  • officegirl27
    officegirl27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    The Bible.

It will change your life.

Meh... never could get into the Bible. Too preachy.

:laugh: yea it is
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The Glass Castle - Jeanette Walls (i think?) It's non-fiction.

Fabulous book; made me realize my childhood wasn't so awful afterall.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    ATLAS SHRUGGED!

I heard it was a good book so I bought it a while back and will start reading it soon (after I finish Cloud Atlas).
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The Life of Pi
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Lord of the Flies
    Last of the Moichans
    And anything by Poe , Shakespere or ****ens
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    50 shades of red white and blue hehe =P
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green right now. It's not a classic (yet) but I was previously unaware that I had the ability to laugh and cry at the same time. Such a beautiful, hilarious, terribly tragic story.

The Hunger Games series was unbelievably amazing as well. The best part is that it's pretty unisex. A little romance here, a lot of violence there, fun for the whole family...

we might be book soul mates. just sayin...
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Stephen King .... The Stand, I read it years ago and it is my all time favorite book

Absolutely!! That's what I would say...............this is an epic novel of awesomeness (read the unabridged version for even greater thrills.) I have read this one 3 times!!!

King is my favorite author, bar none. If you want to really enjoy a cowboy/futuristic/sci-fi tome of incredibleness, read the Dark Tower Series...........you can read it in smaller chunks, and it's fascinating!!

Another King favorite? The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.....something about that lost-in-the-woods creepiness scared the bejesus out of me!
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged

Absolutely a good read. Also liked A Brave New World, The Giver, 1984, Johnny Got his Gun, and Dark Tower Series. The Hunger games trilogy was pretty good, too. Sorry, love to read!. Currently ready Game of Thrones- Really good.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I just came here because I want to see how many people say 50 Shades of Grey....

I have a funny story on the "50 Shades of Grey". I have not read the book but work in a medical clinic with 9 dr's. One nurse loaned the book to another nurse and it was sitting on her desk. Her dr saw it on her desk and put a post-it note on the book that said "dirty book". A different nurse came by and put her own post-it note on the book that said "Instruction book for men". We all got a good laugh out of it.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this but The Shack by William Paul Young.
    Mackenzie Allen Phillips's youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in this midst of his great sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change his life forever.

This book seriously changed my life.

I agree!!! That was a great book!
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    The girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson is very gripping a thriller :-)

If you aren't an avid reader, this won't work for you....took me over 150 pages to get into it....it's like the with ALL 3 of those.

A Game of Thrones, fantastic.
    Enders Game (the sci-fi book for people who don't like sci-fi)
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy (a must)

And for some seriously well done post-apocalyptic 80's throwback (can you get all the 80's references in this book?) Ready Player One by Earnest Cline. Toppled Enders Game as my favorite all time book.

I am an avid reader and this book sucked! It is still sitting in my kindle as unread. I have tried 3 times to read this book and can't get into it. Maybe I should just watch the movie!
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    LETTING GO OF THE PERSON YOU USED TO BE
    BY LLAMA SURYA DASS.

THIS BOOK GOT ME THROUGH MY STEPFATHERS SUICIDE AND 2 BACK INJURIES. I WAS COMPLETELY OVERWHELMED AND ONLY HALFWAY THROUGH MY WEIGHTLOSS. BECAUSE OF THIS BOOK I LEARNED TO ADAPT, ADJUST AND GROW INTO MYSELF.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    The Life of Pi
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Lord of the Flies
    Last of the Moichans
    And anything by Poe , Shakespere or ****ens
    The Sun Also Rises
    A Farewell To Arms
    The Old Man and The Sea
    War and Peace
    Catcher in the Rye
    100 Great Science Fiction Short Stories edited by Isaac Asimov
  • petko1962
    Options
    Catch 22 Joseph Heller

also...The Art of Happiness by his holiness the 14th dalai lama
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The Holy Bible ........ duh
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Bro!! one of the greatest most amazing books I've ever read is a low key novel... "the carpet baggers" it's epic
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ok I have over 1000 books at home and another 250 on my nook ... I'm kinda big on reading lol:blushing:

The Wheel of time by Robert Jordan- My absolute favorite seires and I re-read it all the time especially with the last book coming out soon.

The Incarnations of Immortality by Peirs Anthony

The Stand, The Tailisman and Black house by Stephen King

The LOTR trilolgy

Ready player One

American Gods

The Magician Series by Raymond Fiest
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    cupcake brown- a piece of cake. amazing true life story. you should all give it a go :)

This was a really good book