The one book everyone should read?!?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting an E-Reader of some sort. You don't need the top of the line and you could maybe find one on ebay as the bookworms tend to upgrade. I suggest this because you would be able to check out many books free or very cheap and if you get some friends that also have one you can even "loan" stuff. It would let you experience multiple genres until you figure out what you really like.

Or he could just go to the library. :-)
    LOL that is true. I love books and bookstores and libraries but I was trying to see it thru the eyes of someone that doesn't. It may be a little less intimidating to browse at home. At least that's how it is with my hubby who is not a reader at all. He will at least use the nook to find something he likes.

I have to have the actual books in front of me to figure it out. But he's got a whole list to start with from this thread, so he could write a few down and then head to the library.

One thing I will say is if he has a smart phone and can download the Kindle app, there are a lot of classics available for free that way and that wouldn't require spending money on an e-reader he may or may not use again.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Fool by Christopher Moore. Or anything by Christopher Moore for that matter. They are all full of heinous f*ckery. So funny. Or if you like fantasy...David Gemmel and the Rigante books, awesome. On the level with George R. R. Martin's books, but easier to get into.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the other answers but my honest answer would be the Bible. However, I sense that is not the sort of thing you are looking for. But I can't think of just one other book everyone should read so I'll just list a few of my favorite classics.

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles ****ens
    Tess of the D'urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
    The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    (actually anything by ****ens, Hardy or Steinbeck)
    To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    Dracula - Bram Stoker
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
    Moby-**** - Herman Melville
    The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
    The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Orczy

I could go on, but that should get you started.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion: What movies based on books do you really love? Check out the book versions!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    By far, my three favorite classic fiction novels are David Copperfield by Charles ****ens, Moby **** by Herman Melville, and The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. All are fantastic reads.

The collection of Hemingway's short stories is really wonderful stuff too.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    The Creature from Jekyll Island, The Worldly Philosophers, Atlas Shrugged or or anything by Andrew Napoliatano.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford or The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Anything Stephen King and John Grisham usually sucks me in
  • Truemoose
    Truemoose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    To Kill a Mockingbird , love the movie as well!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you want good erotica the Plume series.

But a truly beautiful book is Like of Pi by Yann Martel.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Wow this is pretty funny........
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Fool by Christopher Moore. Or anything by Christopher Moore for that matter. They are all full of heinous f*ckery. So funny.

Good call! Christopher Moore is a riot - "Bloodsucking Fiends" is one of my all-time favorites - Tom Robbins is pretty hysterical too ("Still Life With Woodpecker" was great).
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the other answers but my honest answer would be the Bible. However, I sense that is not the sort of thing you are looking for. But I can't think of just one other book everyone should read so I'll just list a few of my favorite classics.

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles ****ens
    Tess of the D'urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
    The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    (actually anything by ****ens, Hardy or Steinbeck)
    To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    Dracula - Bram Stoker
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
    Moby-**** - Herman Melville
    The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
    The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Orczy

I could go on, but that should get you started.

I haven't read all of these but I do second that ATale of Two Cities, The Count of Monte Cristo, To KiIl A Mockingbird, Dracula and anything Steinbeck are all great reads.
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you like horror book, The Watchers by Dean Koontz & A Time to Kill: A Novel by John Grisham

If you like scifi - Look Again a Novel by Lisa Scottoline

For you ladies: Why My Third Husband Will Be A Dog by Lisa Scottoline
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

It's a short but awesome book! :wink:
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ready Player One by Earnest Cline is a definite. It's not too long and perfect!

If you'll feeling brave, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is wonderful and I cannot recommend it enough!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    A Million Little Pieces or My Friend Leonard by James Frey. Two of the best books I have ever read. And based on his real life experiences.

About a junkie who goes to rehab and his journey there. My Friend Leonard is about his journey after rehab and his wonderful friend he meets in rehab, Leonard.

Unfortunately James Frey is a fraud and A Million Little Pieces is entirely fiction.

Still a damn good read. I continue to recommend it.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    To Kill a Mockingbird , love the movie as well!

I am currently reading this. :happy:
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter!
    It's my obsession. It's been my favourite ever since I first read it over 10 years ago. Although I'm aware that the simple writing style makes it not for everybody.

Her writing style is actually very sophisticated, especially starting in book 4. It's EASY to read, but it isn't simple. It's a very complex and well-developed story.

You're right, I just worded it wrong. What I meant was that because it is written to be easy for children to read, it wont suit everybody's tastes, because some people like books that use bigger words and such. :)
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett

Harry Potter by JK Rowling

these are the books that i MUST re-read every single year.