Ex's - how long did it take you to get over yours?

Options

Replies

• guapogringo
    Options
    It can take a really long time. Some take years. Others, months. It takes as long as it takes. However, like someone once said; Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It took me 1 yr to get over my ex-bf, we were together for 14 yrs and I think it depends on the individual. I am with an awesome man now.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    5 years before we broke up :laugh:
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mine always depends on how they treated me. If they were super jerks, like both my ex husbands, no time at all. I really wish I did not have to see my kids' dad.
  • pooleekylie
    Options
    However, like someone once said; Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

I call bs on this. I expect God to repay for all the time I wasted on couple of guys.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Long before it was officially over

This was how it was for my first marriage, we were married for almost 4 1/2 years and divorced when I was 22.

Other than my first and my current marriage, I have never really been in a long-term relationship. I've been with my current husband since I was 23 (I'm 45 now).
  • hethro760
    Options
    i was together with my ex for almost 4years - LONG DISTANCE!

We never thought that it wouldnt work, he even proposed, but alas, we somehow couldnt get the logistics and other crap sorted out.

i finally ended it with him in March this year but we still keep in touch. He knows and understands me like no one else and I have yet to meet anyone that comes close to him in character.

Today is his birthday and i changed my profile pic on fb to this pic of us together. sigh.

Guess i need get on top of someone else to get over him ;) (or so the saying goes!)

how long did it take you to get over your ex?

I married my ex-wife in 1999--we got divorced in 2001 - got remarried in 2004 -- and got divorced again in 2011 ..
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you can get over someone that you are still in pretty constant contact with. Especially when the other didn't "do something" to make you want to end the relationship. From what you posted, you two still seem very into each other and don't really want to believe it's over. You are trying to be reasonable about the odds of making it work, but that doesn't mean you don't still love each other and want to be together. Do you really feel it's 100% over, or do you feel with a little time you two will somehow find a way to make it work??

ETA* I guess that's a long way to say, you can't get over someone till you decide you are really ready to move on. :flowerforyou:
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My last ex I was only with him for about a year... but I really cared about him. It took me 2yrs to get over him and even now he still lingers in the back of my mind. He was a cheater so I should have been able to get over him quick but there was just something about him that just stuck. Oh well. It's been 4yrs now and now he's just a memory.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to get over the relationship, and another year to realize that I was over it.
  • QueenCrisis
    Options
    I was with Joey for almost 5 years. We were going to move to Texas and get married. It's been two years since I broke it off. I just recently told him to not stop by, I didn't need him around right now, and that seeing him would not help me in my life at the moment. (Having relationship issues with my current, Marc.)
    It pissed him off. He told me to go to hell and that he'd see me there.
    After two years of wondering if I made the right decision, I know the answer was yes.
    And If he does happen to cross my path in the future, he'll know I'm doing just fine without him.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    1st husband (daughter's father) - 3 year marriage, about 6 months (now we're like BFF's). 2nd husband - 7 month marriage, before I went to the attorney to say "get rid of him for me" :laugh:

Recently I went out on 2 dates with someone that broke up with their ex about 9 years ago (walked in on her with his best friend). He said he's still having trouble with it and will NEVER get into another serious relationship again. Couldn't get my car keys out fast enough.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Well, considering my relationship ended in QUITE a different fashion from the OP's, it took me all of 5 minutes to get over my ex (my son's dad). That relationship lasted for almost 3 years, which was about 2 years and 11 months too long, in my opinion, but on the positive side I got quite possibly the most awesome little boy out of it :smile:

Pro-tip fellas: don't cheat on your girlfriend with multiple women, make her quit her job (by way of serious threats) to be a stay at home mom because "that's how it's supposed to be," then spend all your money on blow and expect her to take you back when she dumps your sorry *kitten*.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    My last ex, I was over before I broke up with him. We were together for 3 years.

The ex before that I was with for about a year, my first love, I am still not over. My boyfriend says the same about his first love.
  • qbdeal1
    qbdeal1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think i got over her about 3 months before i broke up with her. She was my fiance and she was a nutjob. Who i couldnt deal with anymore, My life was like everybody loves Raymond with her parents always coming over and telling me what to do and not to do in my house. Then i said bye bye and she wanted the car, i gave it to her including the payments. I bought myself 2 new cars, and she got stuck with a 50k bill :)
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    some interesting and humorous accounts here :)

thanks for sharing!

life really isnt the same for everyone, but its nice to hear others experience's

:heart:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I was with my ex for ten years (he was my college boyfriend, we were married for three of the ten years). We moved across the country together and he left me eight months after that. He shattered my heart. I was 3,000 miles away from all of my family and friends, but I stayed in CA for my career and eventually met my "real" husband. :D He and I have two beautiful little boys, we own a home together, and I am able to be a stay-at-home mom right now. He's "the one," if there is such a thing, but it honestly took the first heartbreak to know that. I never would've given him a chance if it hadn't been for what I learned from the first failed relationship.

To answer your question, it took me about two years to fully "get over" the relationship. I was over HIM (out of love with him, I guess) about six months after it ended, but I didn't have another significant relationship until I met my current husband four and a half years later.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I still love her...just hate the circumstances. Not in love with her any longer though...if it makes sense. It took about a year.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    hm...well I didn't. I remarried him. LOL

My ex told me we'd probably end up getting married again, like Richard Pryor and his wife. I highly doubt it. That's cool that it worked out for you!

Took me 3 years to get to the point where I didn't want to knock his girlfriend's teeth out. He still tries to touch me and stuff when he comes to see the kids, but I don't have those feelings for him anymore. We were together for 12 yrs, married almost 10.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Depends on which. Usually about 2-3 weeks. My first bf took the longest to get over, but he's also the only ex I can stand to talk to with out wanting to hit. One of my ex's I cringe around because he still is attracted to me though I'm not to him and liked making comments or suggestions. Creep. Other than that, it didn't take me long to get over the person, but sometimes the damage caused. One of my bf's was very nasty to me and would insult me when he could. Intelligence, weight, everything. I was over him before the relationship ended, but I was not over the damage of how bad I felt on myself.