Ex's - how long did it take you to get over yours?

Options

Replies

• jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Long before it was officially over

same! I was over him before we were even over.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think for each person it is different. In your situation are the two of you absolutely certain this is the road you want to take? Have you hashed it all out? If so, then total removal. I speak from experience as it took me years to get over an ex - every time I thought I was over him we would somehow meet up and that would start everything back over again - unfortunately shortly thereafter the bad habits and issues that caused our break-up in the first place would just come right back. We both had to realize that we just couldn't be friends - it wasn't possible. With that said - I do think of him from time time - basically I just hope and pray that he found himself and got himself together and has found a wonderful woman to share his life with.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It just depends. I dont think you ever completely get over him. You will probably always have him in your heart. They say time heals all wounds but that never worked for me....Good Luck
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I usually got over them when I found out they were lying, cheaters in about 10 minutes.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    With my daughter's father... I was over it before it was officially over. He was an abusive ahole and it took me too long to realize that he made me loathe myself and I had to end it. Fortunately enough for me our living arrangements for the next 4 months made it so I would never ever consider getting back with him. (We were renting a 3 bedroom house and decided to continue living in it together until the contract was up. He and his girlfriend shared one room, I had another room and our infant daughter had the 3rd room... Even though he was with her, he was constantly trying to get us back together- figure that one out!)
  • Julescg26
    Julescg26 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It can take a really long time. Some take years. Others, months. It takes as long as it takes. However, like someone once said; Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

This bit almost made me cry!!

I was with my ex 8 years (got married in that time), have been split up just over a year, and we are still really good friends - think the relationship side kind of dwindled but the friendship side stayed. It took about 9 months till I realised I'd like to be with someone again and not just him all the time! Now I'm just a bit miserable cause I have no one to wrap me in their big strong arms and hug me - that's the bit I miss the most!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I'm still not over mine, and our relationship ended over 10 years ago. I'm married and have kids and love my husband and children, but something about that first true love you can never quite get over.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i think I was over him before the relationship even ended...it probably should have ended a lot sooner than it did so that's why!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Probably a couple months...although we lived together for 4 years before we actually got divorced.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hmm, every ex I had besides one I was over the moment I decided he wasn't good enough for me.

The "one" that I couldn't get over is now my fiancé. We broke up 5 years ago, but spoke to each other almost every day for the entire duration of our break up. Then last year, when I was with someone else, he confessed he still loved me. I broke up with that guy--it wasn't working out anyways--and a month or so later I was back with my best friend and haven't looked back. I can't imagine spending my life with anyone else.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Depends on the heartbreak I guess.

First love ended things with me after we planned to be married and have kids. Because it felt sudden to me, it took me a good long time to get over that one.

My last heartbreak was easier because I knew it was over long before we ended things. Plus he went a little bonkers and I had to protect myself from him so that made it easier to let go of the relationship.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Which one?

I need to know which ex we're talking about to tell you how long it took. Some 2 hours, some a few months.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    By the time I am ready to end a relationship, I am pretty much over it already. I like to feel like I have tried everything I could possibly try, within reason, so I can walk away with no regrets. That is not to say I don't feel sad about the end of the relationship, but I am far more focused on healing and moving on.

I also don't keep unnecessary ties to exes (facebook friends, emails, or other contact). When it's over, it's over.

yup exactly
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    for me 9 years now, and i was out for almost 2 years before i ended it. the last one has been 5 years now and it was mutual but the heartbreak of my life.

none of them are easy.

if you truly have your heart/soul into it, i don't think you ever really 'get over them'. you move on. you meet new people, you take new chances and you love again. but the others always have a special place in your heart that always belongs to just them.

i'm a sap like that. in some ways i'm the man, i can kick a man outa my bed the next am and move on to the next guy without thinking twice about it, but if i invest myself; it's harder to cut the ties.

good luck!
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    4yrs but lulls of residual.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I've only had to relationships cause I tend to stick it out.

My Ex-husband and I were together from the time we were 19 til I was 26- He left six weeks after my son was born. It was a shock to me and then I found out he had an affair. It took my less than 2 months to get over her. (ANger helps alot)

With My ex-boyfriend I dumped him after 5yrs so about 5 minutes. By the time I ended it I was so done with everything that I didnt feel bad at all
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm at 5 months and it is still hard for me some days. I had to get over the loss of all the things were were planning that would never happen, a wedding, kids, etc. But being single is also very freeing. You don't have to worry about anyone but yourself. Once you embrace that, you can really start to enjoy life!

Best wishes!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I was in love with an ex-boyfriend once. I could see that it wasn't going anywhere, even though I was desperately in love with him, and I ended it and moved on to someone else. After I left, and "moved on", it literally took me at least another 3 years to feel over him and not affected by him, etc. It was a very difficult time.

The guy I left him for, I eventually married. I separated from him a little over a year ago now. I was "over him" before I even left the marriage, however, I'm still dealing with a lot of fall out from the relationship/marriage. I'm over HIM, but not over things that happened in the marriage etc.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My ex before DH took me years really. We weren't in contact the first 3 years of the split which helped a lot. When I got an invite to his mother's wedding (2nd marriage after be a widow) I went. Seeing him really reenforced that the breakup was a good thing. I dated and thought of him often over the years, but I always knew we made the right decision. It really wasn't until I met my husband about 4 years later that I truly got him out of my brain.
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    After a seventeen year marriage that he ended, it took about a year and a half. You don't spend that long with someone and share parenting of two children without some healing needing to occur before your really move on with your life. At least for me. Now, a new chapter in my life. This one's gonna be great! :wink: