Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• LordByproduct
    Options
    smith and wesson model 617 in 22cal is impressive looking (like dirty harry) and leathal enough for home defense. get the 6 inch version and youll be hitting exactly where you mean to and all the more scary to have it pointed at you.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    So... you're basically all Americans right?

Not all Americans are so crazy, though. I find this entire thread utterly bizarre. It's so uncommon. I don't associate with anyone who owns a gun or thinks they might possibly need one for any kind of protection.

Whoa......so, if I own a gun I'm crazy?

Have you ever had someone try to break into your home in the middle of the night? Lying there, asleep, with your child asleep in the next room and you HEAR someone trying to jimmy the lock on your front door??
    I promise you, it's terrifying, and the fact that I HAD a gun, loaded and ready to fire, is the only reason that person left my property and did NOT break in and do God only knows what to me and my child.
    So.....if that makes me crazy, so be it. At least my daughter was safe.

and no....I'm not a card carrying NRA crazy, nor am I an ultra-conservative Republican redneck. I am a registered Democrat, proud liberal (trapped in a red-state :laugh: ) but I will support until my dying day the rights of Americans to bear arms.

*sliding away my soapbox*

a liberal with a gun?!
    thats odd. :p
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    For home defense, forget the pistol, go rifle...or a good shotgun. Everyone knows the sound of a shotgun being cocked. Or as I've heard others say, "I'll only use my pistol to fight my way back to where I have my rifle."

If you want it to carry as well, like others have said, try 'em out. I love a 1911 .45 and have been considering a Glock. The only thing about carrying a large caliber is the weight and number of rounds. With my 9mm I get 16 rounds, but with the .45 I'd only have 11.

I personally am not a fan of .22, I really don't see the point of it for defense. Unless it's your little backup when things get really bad.

Just my 2 pennies.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: the 1911 .45. I have big hands, so for me, the .22 revolver is like a cap gun. The Glock feels like a toy gun, which guns are most certainly not. The .45 has great weight, totally portable, and fits me like a glove.

That being said, might I suggest going to a range and letting them help you pick the one you like? My CWP instructor was more than happy to trot out all her guns and let me try them all!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Not all Americans are so crazy, though. I find this entire thread utterly bizarre. It's so uncommon. I don't associate with anyone who owns a gun or thinks they might possibly need one for any kind of protection.

Have you ever had someone try to break into your home in the middle of the night? Lying there, asleep, with your child asleep in the next room and you HEAR someone trying to jimmy the lock on your front door??
    I promise you, it's terrifying, and the fact that I HAD a gun, loaded and ready to fire, is the only reason that person left my property and did NOT break in and do God only knows what to me and my child.

and no....I'm not a card carrying NRA crazy, nor am I an ultra-conservative Republican redneck. I am a registered Democrat, proud liberal (trapped in a red-state :laugh: ) but I will support until my dying day the rights of Americans to bear arms.

a liberal with a gun?!

I'm one of a kind, alright. :laugh:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have and carry a charter arms Chic Lady... a .38 special. Its light weight, accurate, and best of all polished pink and chrome!! they do have a whole line of hand guns that come in other colors or just plain chrome/steel if that's your preference. I'd recommend it to anyone who asked.

Ooh, I'd love to check this out. Unfortunately up until recently there has been only one firing range near me, and their selection of rental guns is only so-so, despite the fact that they are a HUGE store. A new one opened earlier this month, but their rates are 2-3x the rates of the other place, plus you pay by the hour, whereas the other place you pay for a lane until you want to leave. Their membership rates are also in the thousands, whereas the other place only costs a few hundred, which is totally worth it if you shoot often!

So I guess I'd have to find someone who has one :(
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It is really disconcerting to log onto a health and fitness site and see a thread about guns. With pictures of guns.

I know it's not the first thread on this subject, and it won't be the last, but urgh :frown:

It's kinda scaring the crap out of me. I only know a handful of people (relatives) who own guns and those that do use them for hunting, otherwise they're locked safely away.

The whole concept weirds me out big time. They're simply not necessary.

You have no idea how many rapes are prevented every day because of a firearm, do you? A firearm makes a 100 pound woman just a powerful as a 250 aggressive man. Bad guys are everywhere. They are an evil necessity.

Really? How many rapes are prevented every day by guns? You have a verifiable statistic on that?

Rape isn't prevented by owning a gun, it's prevented by teaching men not to rape.

Here are some stats for you http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp#crime

Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year

I used to be one of those ppl that was scared of guns and thought that they were one of societies problems, except for in the last two years I have not only learned how to use a gun responsibly, I learned that their bad rap comes from ignorance and fear. Guns are a great resource and I fully believe in my right to own one thanks to 2a.
  • mdbs2004
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: the 1911 .45. I have big hands, so for me, the .22 revolver is like a cap gun. The Glock feels like a toy gun, which guns are most certainly not. The .45 has great weight, totally portable, and fits me like a glove.

That being said, might I suggest going to a range and letting them help you pick the one you like? My CWP instructor was more than happy to trot out all her guns and let me try them all!

I have a Springfield Armory custom loaded 1911 in stianless. Its my favorite gun.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    OO and i forgot to add, gun of choice is a .45 1911. LOVE IT:love:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

a liberal with a gun?!

It is not odd, it's the American way.

And guns don't kill people, guns kill dinner :bigsmile:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Carriempls......

I am confused by your response about not necessary and/or crazy. If I recall the constitution of the United States protects my right to own a gun and have to pass a background check making sure I am not crazy to purchase or be in possession of said fire arm. I have lived in a hand gun free city and oddly enough was held up at gun-point in that very city. I guess the criminal decided that law did not apply to him. Also, based on your profile location maybe you feel safer boarding Canada than I do boarding Mexico here in Southern Arizona. I would hope you would come to understand that people that hold different beliefs than you should not categorized as crazy. To do so would by highly dismissive and point out your ignorance in the issue.

Respectfully - glonigan

:happy:
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    So just to get this straight: you feel so unsafe in your own country that you feel the need to protect yourself with deadly weapons?
    And this does not bother you?

Aren't you all scared of the other people with guns then?
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    get a springfield xdm 3.8 9mm holds 20 rnds and it compact. and is reliable... i am hoping to get one some day.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

So I guess I'm crazy too since I wouldn't think twice about killing someone who tried to harm me or my kids.:wink:
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    It is really disconcerting to log onto a health and fitness site and see a thread about guns. With pictures of guns.

I know it's not the first thread on this subject, and it won't be the last, but urgh :frown:

I'm offended by your offense.

I didn't say I was offended, I said it was disconcerting. And I'm sorry to everyone that annoyed, but...

For many of us in countries where gun ownership is not legal or not common, the only time we come across guns is when we read in the papers of someone going on a killing spree - which leads us to associate them with blood and violence and grief. Which in the context of a health forum, is a bit unexpected and disconcerting. .

However, it is interesting from a cultural perspective to see how very normal this kind of chat is to Americans - different countries, different norms.

The people you read about going on killing sprees and shooting up places are generally not the people you will find on a thread talking about idea for self defense weapons. It is the people who do things like shoot up movie theaters and shopping malls that we're protecting ourselves against. These people generally aren't so great with all those legalities involved in obtaining a gun properly. If you outlaw guns here, you're taking them out of the hands of many people who will more than likely never harm themselves anyone with them, but all those people who stole them still have them.

I personally, don't have a CCW. I don't feel that I need one. My husband is ALWAYS carrying, no questions asked. There is always a gun in our house, which I know how to load, shoot, clean, etc. and would not hesitate to use.
  • ashley2586
    ashley2586 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Go to a gun range that will let you try out their guns, so you can see what you're most comfortable with. your comfortability with each will vary. but im willing to bet, for home security anything that will blast an intruder, will work GREAT! :)
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options

a liberal with a gun?!

It is not odd, it's the American way.

And guns don't kill people, guns kill dinner :bigsmile:

Guns dont kill people, guns kill dinner....that is greatness. Gonna have to remember that.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options

It's kinda scaring the crap out of me. I only know a handful of people (relatives) who own guns and those that do use them for hunting, otherwise they're locked safely away.

The whole concept weirds me out big time. They're simply not necessary.

You have no idea how many rapes are prevented every day because of a firearm, do you? A firearm makes a 100 pound woman just a powerful as a 250 aggressive man. Bad guys are everywhere. They are an evil necessity.

Really? How many rapes are prevented every day by guns? You have a verifiable statistic on that?

Rape isn't prevented by owning a gun, it's prevented by teaching men not to rape.

Rapes are prevented by teaching men not to rape? holy *kitten*! we have to teach men this? so all men are born thinking it is okay to rape, or not knowing that it is wrong- until they learn this from someone? is this what you think? no wonder you are scared of people owning guns. you think everyone is predetermined for evil at birth.
    i bet you also think government should make all decisions for people, because normal people don't know any better. smh.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If all us gun fanatics were as crazy as you anti-gun people make us out to be......there would be none of you left. :bigsmile:

Heck, I can't walk out my front door without dodging bullets. That's the price you pay to live in America. It's survival of the fittest. If you can get to work and home every day and manage not to get hit by a stray bullet while watching TV in your own living room, you win!
  • 4aFitTina
    Options
    I absolutely love this thread. I am hoping my husband takes me shooting for my birthday! Good info, everyone!
This discussion has been closed.