Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

I am looking to purchase a .22 revolver, more specifically a Ruger (the exact model escapes me right now). I shoot well with those, they're not big or bulky, and they don't have a lot of kick. As a comparison I recently shot a .22 Ruger semi-automatic and thought it had too much kick because it's too light. Personally I don't want anything bigger than a .22 because my reason for owning one is recreational shooting and personal protection. I don't want to kill anyone, just stop them from hurting/killing me or anyone else, and we don't have big bears or anything that will get pissed off by being shot with a .22!

I won't recommend you .22 LR as for self-protection. If you want a well self-protection gun I would say 9MM caliber is good place to start. You could make it little lighter by reducing the gun powder in the bullets, only if you or your husband is a reloader. There is lots of the trade off with the bullet versus the target.

The weaker the bullet is and the less impact it will have on the target. There are several stories that person survived several shots of .22 LR in the head. That's why I recommended you to not get .22 LR.

Maybe I need to shoot more 9s, but the ones I shot I did not like (one of them was an Eagle and was HORRIBLE, but I remember shooting a couple of Glocks and a Ruger). I did mention that I would prefer not to kill anyone, hence the 22, but then again I guess it would have to be a bullseye in a good spot to stop an attacker/intruder. I am definitely doing a lot more research before I buy, rest assured! But thank you very much for the input - I do greatly appreciate it!
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Really? How many rapes are prevented every day by guns? You have a verifiable statistic on that?

Rape isn't prevented by owning a gun, it's prevented by teaching men not to rape.
    US Department of Justice statics show that 1 out of 3 women will be sexually assaulted before the age of 25.

Of those, 82% of the victims will personally know their attacker in some capacity.

89% of all thwarted sexual assault and rape attempts are due entirely to the victim effectively fighting/fending off their attacker with either the application or display of force.

Sexual assault and rape are the direct result of a criminal exacting a crime of power, coercion and control over a victim.

It has nothing to do with their lack of education.

I am:
    - Certified DOD Combatives Instructor for Law Enforcement, Military and Private Security firms
    - Certified Firearms Instructor
    - Certified Rape Aggression Defense Instructor
    - 24 year martial artist / 4th Deg Tae Kwon Do / 1st Deg Judo / 1st Deg Jiu Jitsu / E1 Krav Maga
    - A lawyer
  • HRCephei
    HRCephei Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    lol let me say... .357 ... quite the gun for a lady;) My boyfriend has one and it's WAY too much for me. I like the ,22 or 9mm personally.

My mom has a .357 short barrel and she loves it.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    If all us gun fanatics were as crazy as you anti-gun people make us out to be......there would be none of you left. :bigsmile:

Heck, I can't walk out my front door without dodging bullets. That's the price you pay to live in America. It's survival of the fittest. If you can get to work and home every day and manage not to get hit by a stray bullet while watching TV in your own living room, you win!

Wow. Go live in somewhere else then tell us how bad you have it :sad:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Really? How many rapes are prevented every day by guns? You have a verifiable statistic on that?

Rape isn't prevented by owning a gun, it's prevented by teaching men not to rape.

Um. What? We have to teach men not to rape? Huh?
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

US Department of Justice statics show that 1 out of 3 women will be sexually assaulted before the age of 25.

Of those, 82% of the victims will personally know their attacker in some capacity.

89% of all thwarted sexual assault and rape attempts are due entirely to the victim effectively fighting/fending off their attacker with either the application or display of force.

Sexual assault and rape are the direct result of a criminal exacting a crime of power, coercion and control over a victim.

I am:
    - Certified DOD Combatives Instructor for Law Enforcement, Military and Private Security firms
    - 24 year martial artist / 4th Deg Tae Kwon Do / 1st Deg Judo / 1st Deg Jiu Jitsu / E1 Krav Maga
    - A lawyer

Yes.....all of this^^^^^^
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    If all us gun fanatics were as crazy as you anti-gun people make us out to be......there would be none of you left. :bigsmile:

Bahaha! YES.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    So just to get this straight: you feel so unsafe in your own country that you feel the need to protect yourself with deadly weapons?
    And this does not bother you?

Aren't you all scared of the other people with guns then?

No because law abiding citizens don't shoot good guys and bad guys will have guns whether they are legal or not.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    OO and i forgot to add, gun of choice is a .45 1911. LOVE IT:love:

SO agree with you!! I've rapid fired one of these guys and it was crazy!!
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    So just to get this straight: you feel so unsafe in your own country that you feel the need to protect yourself with deadly weapons?

No because law abiding citizens don't shoot good guys and bad guys will have guns whether they are legal or not.

Spot on!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Heck, I can't walk out my front door without dodging bullets. That's the price you pay to live in America. It's survival of the fittest. If you can get to work and home every day and manage not to get hit by a stray bullet while watching TV in your own living room, you win!

It was a joke. Sarcasm. Do you really think there are actually bullets whizzing by my head everywhere I go and I'm just lucky not to have been hit by one?
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options

I am:
    - A lawyer

^This guy. Love it.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I got a 25 simply because it was the cheapest thing to purchase...but it will the job done if needed for self defense! I purchased it when I was single and living alone, I had just purchased my 1st home. I do think I want a 9mm though...I think I will have my hubby buy me a gun as well for Christmas.

A .22 would be better than a .25. I know a woman personally that was shot 6 times point blank in the stomach while she was pregnant, the baby wasn't harmed and the woman nover lost consciousness. The attacker was using a .25
  • Bull2707
    Options
    For self defense and your a good shot go with a revolver .45, .44. Not a lot of kick but enough power to let them know your there. Plus you do not need a clip unless you plan to chase them down if you miss. Most gun fights do not go pass 3 rounds.
  • dragonfly74
    Options

It was a joke. Sarcasm. Do you really think there are actually bullets whizzing by my head everywhere I go and I'm just lucky not to have been hit by one?

You don't do sarcasm well :blushing:
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Yeah - I actually feel much safer if I know more people are legally carrying guns.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

That's why Americans are so badass.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You don't do sarcasm very well :blushing:

Yes I do. You just missed the joke because you were feeling defensive.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

I am looking to purchase a .22 revolver, more specifically a Ruger (the exact model escapes me right now). I shoot well with those, they're not big or bulky, and they don't have a lot of kick. As a comparison I recently shot a .22 Ruger semi-automatic and thought it had too much kick because it's too light. Personally I don't want anything bigger than a .22 because my reason for owning one is recreational shooting and personal protection. I don't want to kill anyone, just stop them from hurting/killing me or anyone else, and we don't have big bears or anything that will get pissed off by being shot with a .22!

I won't recommend you .22 LR as for self-protection. If you want a well self-protection gun I would say 9MM caliber is good place to start. You could make it little lighter by reducing the gun powder in the bullets, only if you or your husband is a reloader. There is lots of the trade off with the bullet versus the target.

The weaker the bullet is and the less impact it will have on the target. There are several stories that person survived several shots of .22 LR in the head. That's why I recommended you to not get .22 LR.

Maybe I need to shoot more 9s, but the ones I shot I did not like (one of them was an Eagle and was HORRIBLE, but I remember shooting a couple of Glocks and a Ruger). I did mention that I would prefer not to kill anyone, hence the 22, but then again I guess it would have to be a bullseye in a good spot to stop an attacker/intruder. I am definitely doing a lot more research before I buy, rest assured! But thank you very much for the input - I do greatly appreciate it!

The first 9 I shot was a S&W M&P 9. I love the power of a .45, but the M&P was really comfortable and if I had the $, I'd get one. So I'd say try one of those. I've been decently pleased with the Glock 19 Gen 4 because of the adjustable back strap and a few other tweaks that I had an armorer do (ahem spring...)

I've always thought of the .22 as being the thing to p!ss someone off more than to get them to know you mean business and stay away. But it has a use and the ammo is darn cheap.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Exactly. Bad guys gonna shoot and kill anyway, so why not arm yourself to defend yourself .
This discussion has been closed.