Gun owners?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    lol let me say... .357 ... quite the gun for a lady;) My boyfriend has one and it's WAY too much for me. I like the ,22 or 9mm personally.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Kimber 1911 9mm. Shoots like a dream, but it's expensive. The other option would be a Glock 19, but I don't like it nearly as well.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    lol let me say... .357 ... quite the gun for a lady;) My boyfriend has one and it's WAY too much for me. I like the ,22 or 9mm personally.

Lol! Yeah the .357 is a bit much for me but if someone tries breaking in they will be leaving in a body bag!
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Home defense or concealed carry?

I have a Glock 26, Glock 19, an SKS, and I'm going to get a S&W 380 soon.

It really depends on what exactly you want it for. All of our guns have different advantages.
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have an H&K .40.... It has VERY little kick.. kinda big but will stop ANYONE or ANYTHING lol... I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I also have an AK-47 which is my gun of choice... BEST GUN EVER LOL
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Def for at home but not sure if I want to carry one. Too worried my kids will go into my purse and find it.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

The .357 is a wonderful weapon. It is what I personally carry for protection.
    If excessive kick is the issue, load it with .38 rounds.
  • Lisa1971
    Options

That's what is in it right now actually.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    if you are looking for a smaller pistol with stopping power test out a few of the .380. if you are looking for a pistol with ease of use go for a .38 short barrel revolver. I am partial to Ruger brand, but everyone has their own preference.

if you do go with a .22, I would recommend this ammo.
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    What ever you choose, I suggest actually handling it first. If possible, go shoot it also. Hate to see you spend your money just to find out it isn't quiet what you want.

I carry a 9MM for protection.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like my 9MM. But honestly, your choice of firearms is a personal one. Try out different ones and how they feel.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

That's what is in it right now actually.
    For what it's worth, I often carry a .22 derringer 5 shot revolver. Many people will tell you it is too small however, the .22 will stop an intruder.

For a little bit more power, you could step up to a .22 Magnum derringer. I like the pocket pistol because I can literally carry it anywhere.
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    I recommend you head down to the local shooting range, and try out a couple. Find which one feels best to you. I am a fan of the .357, as I own a couple.

I see this has pretty much already been said. I agree with folks who say go try one out, before you purchase.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    A .22 is just enough to make someone mad unless you it them between the eyes. I carry either a .38 revolver (S&W Airweight) or a .380 Ruger LCP. I have a 9mm by my bed. They are making slender 9mm now, but cannot remember the brand right off my head - maybe Ruger.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    <
    my husband just got me a glock 19 and i love it!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have the Glock 26,sub compact 9mm, the smallest one and I love it.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Surprised I haven't gotten the "guns are bad blah blah blah" responses yet. Lol!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    hmmmm, Hunting in the Arctic Circle, feigning ignorance of guns........ are you building an alibi? Is he really buried out back somewhere?
  • Eliannasmom
    Eliannasmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a Bersa 380 which is an easy shoot plus I have it with the laser on it which pretty much let's my target know whats coming!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If there is a dealer nearby, go there and see about renting some guns and firing them at their range. Depends upon your requirements and style.

I have a Springfield XDM 9mm and a Ruger LC9 9mm as my BUG (backup gun) and for summer carry.

I have 9mm, .357, .22, 40 cal in my collection. Each has a purpose.

Have fun
This discussion has been closed.